Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Wednesday May 25)

I'll start the thread today Woman Happy  I don't really have anything exciting to talk about other than it's spritzed rain on and off today and I expect heavier rain and storms through Friday.

My city has a sidewalk replacement program that is ongoing and it's my turn in the barrel this year - 5 squares need to be replaced and it's gonna cost me $1,000.  It's part of the city code/ordinances that residents are responsible for the sidewalks in front of their house.

While I didn't have that expense on my 2022 bingo card, I know for a face that a concrete contractor would have charged me somewhere in the range of $2,500 to do the job, plus the cost of the permit.

The city has contracted with a company and I'm going with what the city chose - far cheaper than doing it myself.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Wednesday May 25)

We were posting around the same time, Bernie.  Sorry about the sidewalk expense.  I think the original owners had to pay for the sidewalk in front of my house since the empty lots don't have sidewalks until someone builds a new house.  If my theory is true, the sidewalk in front of my house is 50 years old or so.  It seems to be in pretty good shape, so maybe it has been replaced.  The roads in my small neighborhood are maintained by the county rather than the residents (that is not true in nearby neighborhoods).  

Hope you are happy with the work the contractor does.  The price quoted doesn't sound unreasonable to me.  But, I sure wouldn't be happy to suddenly find I had a bill for $1,000. 

No rain here, just hot and dry.

------------

Here is what I posted. 

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Hope everyone had a nice Wednesday.  

I had a pleasant walk this morning, and then went to the grocery stores since I'll not have much time tomorrow between going out to lunch and doing hospice deliveries.  

Just finished an OLLI history class, and I have another class this afternoon (not OLLI, but somewhat related).  

The leader of the newcomers group that had the high tea just sent an email saying that one of the attendees was diagnosed with COVID, and we should be tested if we didn't feel well.  Last night, I awoke with a dry cough (just one) and some aches, so I used a COVID in-home test this morning first thing.  It was negative.  I have not had any more coughing or aches, so perhaps I over-reacted.  At least that is what I thought before I got the email.  I may test again tomorrow morning.  Yikes!

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

If you have the test on hand Linda @LindaLatte it might be a good idea to follow up tomorrow and Friday to be on the safe side.  I've used one test of the first batch of 4 that I ordered through the post office and I recently received the second batch of 4 were were allowed to have.  I think they are offering even more, I'd have to check.  The down side to these tests is they sure don't seem to have a long shelf life.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I think you are right, Bernie.  I used one of the ones I ordered from the Post Office.  I ordered another set, but it hasn't arrived yet.  I just checked, and I have two more tests, thank goodness.