Esteemed Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Wednesday, January 8th)

Good Morning/Afternoon!  It is sunny and in the 50's here.  Later, it should make it to the upper 60's.  Not snow weather, which is fine with me.  I hope Sandy Sparkles, twinny, and other snow lovers get some snow soon.  DD said it snowed in Maryland yesterday, and the schools got out early.  She was not particularly bothered by it, however.  

I'm feeling pretty good about my accomplishments this morning.  I received the second antenna yesterday, and figured out how to set it up (not as easy as the first one, but....).   I cannot use my streaming service on that TV until my new Roku arrives at the end of the month.  Nevertheless, I decided to cancel cable TV today.  It went so much better than expected.  They even offered to send me a box with pre-paid label to return my equipment rather than making me drive up to their office (about 20 miles away).  While I know that isn't all that far away, I was grateful not to have to make the trip.  

They did try to talk me into keeping cable TV (would look for "deals", etc.), but I held strong.  

Then I called the bank that gave me so little interest last month, and found that they did reduce the interest rate by a huge amount.  The first person I called said that there was probably an error, but not so.  Anyway, I opened a savings account with them rather than keeping so much in my checking account, and then I transferred much of the money from checking to saving.  I wish the first person I spoke to was more knowledgeable, but now the mystery is solved.

I checked, and the IRA withdrawal (correct amount) was done yesterday.  Batting 100 percent so far.

Sorry you have/had the flu, Sandy Sparkles   Glad the medicine is working.  That is great about getting your orders earlier than expected, Jean.  Hope you get a chance to set things up soon.

I had to laugh when I saw the comments about yesterday's TSV.  Like others, I really didn't care for the bottom of the top.  To me, it just looked sloppy.  However, even if it were perfect, I am trying not to order clothing since I already have so much more than I need.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day and sleeps well!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Wednesday, January 8th)

Hi Everyone!

We had snow squalls this morning & afternoon so i decided to postpone my grocery shopping and errands until tomorrow. I was waiting on a prescription I refilled and decided that I wasn't making 2 trips this week. Of course.....now it is sunny and my prescription is filled in record time. LOL  

I finally have the santas put away and started clearing out a stack of plastic storage bins in the corner of the work room. My back started to hurt so I decded that was enough for today with this project. I took a good look at what's down there on the "girl" side of the work room and it's not as bad as I remembered. I know my husband will be thrilled when I get all that "stuff" up on the shelves and later moved into one storage room. He has started to accumulate more tools and equipment for some of our DIY projects so he needs the room. 

I finally rummaged thru the boot tote to throw out old worn boots. The ones I wear to do the salting or shoveling are either ripped or too tight. I thought I had purchased new boots one year but for the life of me they were not in my closet. I was all set to use my Kohl's $ but just thought I better take another look thru the house. I found them in the hall closet with my "work" boots. (that I nevr use because of the heels) I was thrilled. I now have new boots for the dogs area and for the driveway maintainence. It's always nice to find something new that eliminates a purchase.

Have a good afternoon/evening.  

Trusted Contributor

Hi dear friends - I've been very out-of-the-loop this past month, and I apologize for that.  First it was having my DS come home from VA.  We thought it was just for the holidays, but it's more extended than that, as he looks for a job here in CA.  He has a strong possibility already.  Then it was the business of Christmas, and doing a lot to help my mother.

Then, well, it's hard to even write this.  My DH is 60 and he finally went to see our MD after I nagged him for a while.  His PSA test came back positive.  The dr. put him on antibiotics and had him retake the test a month later.  The results were even worse.  On Dec. 24 my DH saw a urologist who said that he needed an ultrasound and biopsy right away.  On Monday of this week we were told that he has cancer in 3/4 of his prostate, and on a scale of 1 to 10, his is rated 7 & 8, so it's considered aggressive.  Tomorrow he is having a bone scan at the hospital to see if the cancer has spread.  Our local hospital is not considered a very good one, but the best one (Loma Linda University Medical Center) can't see him until Jan. 23, and time is of the essence.

So, needless to say, I am worried and scared.  I am blessed to have been married to a good man for 34 years, and I'd like to have him around for a lot longer.  Please keep us all in your prayers.  Much love to all.  ~  Charlene 

Esteemed Contributor

So sorry to hear about your DH, Charlene. What a shock.   I will be praying for him. Please take care of yourself.  I know how difficult that can be when you are so worried about your loved one, but please try.  As they always remind us in my Caregivers group -- you need to follow the airline advice -- put on your mask first.  

Honored Contributor

Hi Linda @LindaLatte   I knew that you'd be able to hook up the antennas to your TV and I congratulate you on kicking cable to the curb.  I'm sorry that the interest rate really dropped last month.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Linda--Thank you for starting the thread. I am so glad that you had no issues canceling your cable since the antennae are working so well. Also, it was a good move to transfer much of the low interest checking into the higher interest checking.

Fressa--Snow squalls can be a forerunner of snow that creates problems so it is understandable that you would cancel your plans to shop. Of course, had you gone, the sun would not have come out and the snow would have gotten worse.  Earn warning pain s a definite signal that you are over doing yoiur efforts to organize. Pace yoursellf.

Charlene--I am so sorry that you are going through this stressful time. It is understandable that you have been involved in dealing with DH's medical crisis. I know you would like for him to be in a hospital of renown but as you said, you cannot wait. Hugs and prayers! I also hope that DS finds a rewarding job.

I worked today and will again tomorrow. I can understand why things can get out of control here with clutter. When I come home, I am tired so I am not motivated to declutter. That type of work for me is best done in the morning when I am alert and not physically or mentally tired. Right now, my TSV organizer shelves are still on the deck where UPS placed them. They are weather protected so they may be there until the weekend.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Hi @Fressa   we got a dusting of snow here and it was so pretty to look at this morning.  I'm glad you found your new boots in the hall closet.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Charlene @cerb   I hope that your son finds a job that he likes.

Charlene, I know what it feels like to hear the word cancer said out loud regarding a family member.  It made me feel kind of dizzy like I was having an out of body experience.  I also felt a crushing, suffocating fear like someone had their hands around my throat.

When someone beloved to you and your happiness is threatened it's an ugly bunch of feelings.  

It's good that he is having the body scan tomorrow.  Back in the day with my loved one, I took a CD of the scans to the physician ahead of the appointment so he could have some idea before we walked in the door.  These days everything is electronic to it's probably easier to transmit the images to Loma Linda.

We're here for you, any time you need it.  I don't know every posters life story here however I feel that between all of us, we've experienced some things and will listen.

I've started a candle for your husband and am praying for him, you and the entire family Heart

Esteemed Contributor

CERB, prayers are coming your way.  I know that you are faithful in the Lord.  I thank God every day that I can get out of bed and walk.  Life has been scary for both of us the past two years.  We are hoping for a good 2020 healthwise.  Good luck with your ds finding a job that he will like.

it's been a busy day.  The Wellness Center went well.  Then we went to see our favorite little polka band.  They are in a new place which is 3 blocks from our house.  We drove because it's a cold day.  Back to the 40's  tomorrow.

I have labs and Dr. follow up appointments on Friday.  I am watching what I eat.  My DH said that he will be happy when Friday is over and I bake him a few Christmas goodies that he has been patiently waiting for.  

Hugs to all of you.