Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Wednesday, April 6th

Hello all,

Grayson was fine when I arrived home.  I won't go into the long story (you can see it on the April's Birds Nest in Among friends if you are interested), but I have a rescue pigeon under my care.  Failed hawk attack x3.  Near as I can tell it started in the back yard and the hawk tried to finish it in the front yard (never saw that before in 15 years) twice.

I call this one Rocky - my eldest sister's suggestion - because the bird took 3 'beatings' and didn't stay down (reference to the Rocky movies).

Bird can fly but is tore up a little.  Lived the night and has been moved from makeshift incubator to rehab room.  Hoping for a favorable outcome and taking it a day at a time.

Visited my sister - her disposition was much improved by the time I got there.  She may be discharged next week!

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Wednesday, April 6th

Good morning all, and thanks to @Bird mama, for starting us today. Glad to hear Grayson was ok, and your sister, but WOW, the "Rocky" saga is amazing. There was definitely a reason for you to take a half day at work. You are an amazing person for the care you give to these birds...they really do find you, don't they. Hope Rocky does ok and can be released back into the 'wild' at some point. Be sure to keep us updated.

Nothing new here, my newest great grand child will be born by the 20th of this month, her due date is the 17th, they will induce on the 20th if she hasn't made the appearance on her own by then.  We are all excited about that. Here, it is rainy today. I did get the yard mowed last evening, hubby fixed the blade issue for me and since rain was due to start around midnight, I went ahead and mowed (and managed to mess up the blade again, lol). This afternoon I plan to shampoo my dining room carpet. That about it...such excitement, I know. Have a nice day everyone. Waves....

"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Bernie -  Thank you for starting us today, glad to hear Grayson is doing well.  Also, glad to hear your resuse is doing well, he/she is very lucky you found them. I like the name Rocky, but now I have that song stuck in my head (thanks).  Glad to hear your sister is doing better, hope she can go home soon.

Snicks -  Bet you can't wait on the grandbaby.  We shampooed our downstairs last week, I was suprised by how dirty a couple of the rooms were.  Have fun.

Not much going on here today, we are having a dreary day here, a little sunshine would just make everything seem better.  Oh well, guess I should be thankful it is not snowing.

Hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Respected Contributor

Afternoon, Thanx @Bird mama for the start, I did read your other post re:Rocky, can't imagine you scaring off a hawk no less, I'd be terrified, kudos to you for what you do for our winged friends, hope Rocky continues to improve & glad to hear Grayson is doing well

Good Job!

@Snicks1, Congrats on the new great grand, my Mom's 100th B-day is 4/20, maybe a new birth on this day will be lucky.

@PAlady, wishing for sunshine here also, these dreary days are depressing, but April Showers or whatever

Have a pot of spaghetti sauce on the stove, ran out of the freezer stash but did find some homemade stuffed shells in there so that's supper

Good Day to all here & those that stop by

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! Looks like it's a slow day on the board.  Mark is here; the gutters are cleaned out, and he's working on an electrical outlet in the living room now. He looked at the lawn mower, and couldn't get it going, so he said he could bypass the on button and splice a wire.  He did that, plugged it in, and...nothing. I then had the brilliant idea of trying another outlet, and sure enough, the lawn mower is fine, it's the outlet that needs to be repaired. Cat Embarassed

I finally got through to him that smoking is NOT permitted in my house; I cant stand the smell of it.  He's rather rough around the edges, but he does good work and he's CHEAP. 

Bird, thank goodness you were there for Rocky. He'll have quite a story to tell his grandchildren!  Cat Wink  I once saved a bird in Hawai'i from one of my cats; he flew away very gratefully.

I got a call from the senator's office; supposedly SS has processed my earnings report, so it should be at the post office. So, if all goes well by next month I'll be getting my pension.

Snicks, it's funny, but i tend to picture everyone on the board (apart from the ones who are FB friends and of whom I've seen pictures) as being young - I can't imagine you're a great grandma!

I forget who it was who mentioned their dog ate rabbit poop, but I can't figure my girls out - they'll eat anything and everything, including "chocolate crunchies" from the litter boxes if I'm not watching, but when it comes to actual dog food they're very, very picky.  Go figure...

Last night's outing was a ride to Walmart to pay my sewer bill; they had another cart filled with clearance items for 10¢. I got a couple of Hello Kitty sets of badges that have multi-color lights that sparkle on and off when you press on them, and a set of two little airplanes. My Christmas boxes are coming along with nice stuff, and although they cost very little the kids are so appreciative - they literally have nothing. I've seen YouTube videos of kids going wild with excitement over a new toothbrush and pencils - can you imagine American kids doing that?  It's a good feeling to be able to do that for them.  Cat Happy

Well, I was up early, and have gotten the floors washed, the rugs vacuumed, the bathroom cleaned, the bed changed, and some laundry done. As soon as Mark leaves, I'll be ready for a nap, then I'll hit the PO.

Hi to everyone - have a blessed day!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Thanks for getting us started Bernie.  Glad Grayson is fine, and your sister is much better.  That is some story about Rocky -- good for you rescuing him.  He sounds like a fighter for sure.  I didn't realize you would have those hawks in your area, since I was not aware of a hawk problem in Maryland.  But, around here, hawk and other raptor attacks are not uncommon.  I would be very nervous to let a small dog or a cat out in the yard since apparently they can be attacked.  

I'm sure it is very exciting waiting for a great grandbaby, snicks.  I don't have any yet, but my grandchildren are getting older, so maybe in a few years.  That mower must have something against you.  LOL

Sorry your weather is dreary, Susan.  We are having a few clouds, but it should be very warm -- perhaps make it to 90 degrees.  By Friday, it should be much cooler with a chance of rain.  We do need rain, but I prefer the warmer weather and sun.

Stuffed shells sound great, spix.  Congratulations in advance to your Mom (assuming she is still with us).

Where do your Christmas boxes go, Arlene?  I love seeing those types of pictures -- happy and grateful kids.  Glad it was an outlet problem rather than a mower one -- assuming the outlet isn't too expensive to fix.  Good luck with your pension.  

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, twinny, Charlene, Marijane, LindaR, Barbara, pinky ann, Gayle, Karen, Rosa, and all of our posters and readers.

Took DH to the club and had a nice walk before delivering my tax papers to the CPA.  I was waiting to make sure I got all of DH's documents, and some came last week.  Fingers crossed that we don't owe much or even get a little refund.  I did use Turbo Tax (just because I'm used to it), and it said we should get a small refund.

On the way home, I stopped by an assisted living/memory care place.  I did not make an appointment because I understand that sometimes places gear up before scheduled visits.  Anyway, this place seemed pretty good (not smelly, nice rooms, etc.), and families can visit any time they like.  I don't know how much it costs, but I'm sure a lot.  I truly hope I never need to place DH in a facility, but I wanted to check some out just in case that becomes necessary at some point.  

He seems to be doing pretty well, and I don't have any big plans for the rest of the day.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda 

Respected Contributor

Thanx @LindaLatte for the congrats to Mom, yes she's still with us & feisty as ever, lives in a nursing home as she does need 24/7 care & watching, I'll be going there for the party, will get trays of cookies or mini cannolis (don't want anything you'd need a plate /fork to eat) they do so enjoy the treats.  A gift is a problem as I get her clothing, etc all year long, but she loves chocolate so I'm thinking a box of Fannie May will make her day.

Esteemed Contributor

Good evening, everyone. I am home from work and have just finished having a quick dinner. i saw on the Q Order Status that the Sketchers Go Walk slippers in black leopard had arrived via UPS but delivered to the Post Office.  I stopped this evening and picked them up. They are a little large but a smaller size would not have worked. I tried them on with low cut socks which does take up the little extra room.

We are expecting record low tempertures this weekend. At this rate, Summer may be more like Spring.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.