Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Wed., March 18th)

Good Morning shopping friends, 

Last night I ordered the Quiko bird multivitamin an Quiko special egg food (for finches) from Amazon.  For whatever reason, the egg food treat has always been iffy when it comes to local inventories.

I just got back from Pet Supplies Plus.  I picked up a bag of Hagen Pigeon and Dove and 2 bags of Kaytee Fiesta Finch.  I can get Hagen online through Amazon and the Kaytee Fiesta Finch online through Chewy however the last two times I ordered these products from Amazon and Chewy, the bags of seed arrived damaged and there were more seeds in the shipping box than the bags.  I provided feedback to both companies about the lack of packing material to stabilize the contents within the box.

I've been supporting local stores lately when it comes to those two particular bird seed brands/formulations.

Pet Supplies Plus has a door that opens automatically.  I exited my car, wearing my handbag cross body style.  Inside the unzipper handbag was a bag of latex gloves Woman Happy  Because I don't want to run out and am right hand dominant, I entered the store, reached into my bag and put a glove on my right hand and then I shoved my left hand in my coat pocket.

I found what I needed immediately and stood far away from the person in front of me.  I touched my wallet with my left hand because I didn't know what might be on the glove at that point.

Anyway, I feel like I exercised caution and pitched the glove in the garbage can outside of the store.  

This is the new normal and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Wed., March 18th)

wow--I guess that's what it is going 2 take 2 protect ourselves--I am contemplating going 2 Home Depot today--I was there last week when I went to get a spray paint for my trellis--I sprayed it last week but now decided I don't want a flat spray maybe a satin of gloss spray--anyway I was playing in my mind just like u--I can get out of my car--the store has an automatic door opening--I know exactly where that spray paint is located--I can get it buy it & when I get 2 my car I can wipe down the can w sanitizer--whew that's alot of planning IF  I go--deciding if what I want is necessay or not--but I know I can change the look of that trellis in minutes & I have plenty of time on my hands 2 do these things 2 get my backyard spring ready bc the weather is good so I can go outside & do some things 2 get ready for spring/summer--so I'll see if I can talk myself out of going or not--I'll c how the day goes--so much 2 think out now a days--------marynj

Honored Contributor

@danedylan  One of the cashiers at my Pet Supplies Plus is in her early 70's.  I wanted her to see that I take her health seriously.  She's working because she needs to so if I can show some respect then I will.

She told me that she appreciated that I didn't get right up to the counter and that I kept my distance.  I'm glad I'm tall and I have these long arms which allow me to transact business without being in someone's face.

They are bending over backwards to carry anything you buy to the car.  A young man started walking towards me and I smiled and said, ah-ah or uh-oh (we all say it different Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I really like Pet Supplies Plus. It has a great selection and the employees are very helpful. As you said, it is nice having someone carry the items to the car without having to  ask for help.

@danedylanI would love to take the available time to check out Lowes but I am in that group which is advised to go to stores only during their senior hours if absolutely necessary to go, or restrict it to groceries or prescriptions. 

I had considered just getting out by taking a drive after I deposited my check but I was developing a headdache and decided to stay home. At this point in time, I hate to mention a headache, sneezing, etc. as it might be misconstrued as a symptom of the virus. It has been 7 days since I have been in a restaurant and until yesterday, I had seen one person face to face. Yesterday, I picked up my prescriptions so I saw some people in the drug store but everyone was doing their best to keep their distance as much as possible.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Bernie  - Thank you for starting us today.  Glad you got all the bird needs quickly and glad they what you needed in stock.  I have not ventured out to a store yet, still deciding about more dog food.  I have enough for at least another week, but, need to think about it.

Jean - Hope your headache leaves as quickly as it came.  I know what you mean by not wanting to admit if you have a headache or sore throat.  And heaven forbid if you sneeze in public.  

Not much happening here, just the usual - Take the dog for a ride in the morning, play ball in the yard when we come back and walk her around 2:00.  My life is just so exciting.

Well off to do some reading then a little more decluttering. I spent an hour just doing some surface decluttering in my dressing room.  It looks so much better now.  

Hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama,  I think that this will be the new normal and it sounds like you are doing a great job with your shopping needs & supporting local stores.  It's not very difficult for us to stay home more & do things around here because I left work 18 years ago and my DH retired 17 years ago.  Having chikdren back in the house for several weeks would take lots of planning.

Jean, I can't remember the last time we went into a restaurant.  My DH went & picked up a carry out pizza last Saturday night.  My DH is good to go for all of his meds and I have 2 different things coming to me by mail order this week.

We have been busy doing a very thorough spring cleaning here.

On Sunday, we did the front entrance, kitchen, din. rm, & the living room.  My DH keeps saying, It's so bright around here.  I did the glass doors in the China cupboard above the island.

Yesterday we moved everything away from the walls and washed the walls, dusted & vacuumed everywhere.  This morning we did our closet. We did a lot of decluttering and shredding.  I had a lot of papers to shred from when I was at the Mayo Clinic for two weeks back in 2002.  Yes, I am my dh's million dollar baby.

This afternoon, I will be doing my master bathroom.  It's one room a day until we are done.  

Our  gym closed today, but we didn't go yesterday.  Our spring cleaning was more than enough exercise for both of us.

Yesterday it was so nice that I hung 3 loads of laundry outside and we went for a good moped ride.  Now we are supposed to get rain for the next 3 days.

On Monday my DH and I went to get our eyes tested.  My DH needs new lenses and frames, but I am good to go.  His last lens/frames change was 7 years ago.

We had a good visit with his 94 year old Mom.  She is doing well and  since our favorite restaurant is closed on Monday's, we went to McDonalds and ate inside.  There were only 4 of us in there, but the drive up was non stop.

Lots of restaurants in our hometown are just doing carry out & drive thru.  Earlier tomorrow morning we are planning to do a little bit of grocery shopping.  No Big Box Stores.  Lots of places are closed down until further notice.

Supper is leftovers from the stew that I made yesterday.  The hot tub is wonderful. 

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

danedylan, yes, it takes a lot of planning as to whether we want to go out or not.  Since I have an AI disorder, we have been extra diligently wiping down things & using more Chlorox wipes in the house and in our vehicle.

Susan, our lives are busy inside the house & just about as exciting as yours is, but it's been fun cleaning out closets & drawers,  decluttering and reminiscing about the things that we are keeping & tossing out.  

Our road trip in April depends on if we are still quaranteed to the house.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

God Bless your mother in law Glenda @twinny70   If my Ma and Dad were alive I'd have them on lockdown, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, the thing is with my mii, she is very healthy except for walking with a cane for safety.  She kept asking ME  if I was comfortable with eating in.  She drives every so often in town and my dh's brother and his wife live in her hometown so they can keep an eye on her better than we can.  She doesn't go to the senior citizens exercise classes anymore, but is a beautiful knitter.  She had a lovely light blue baby sweater sitting on the table next to her and another one started.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  It is raining here at the moment, and the highs are expected to be in the 60's.  Tomorrow the highs are predicted to be in the 50's and lows in the 30's.  I know we can always use rain in the desert, but I am getting a bit tired of these clouds.  We could use them when it is 100 degrees plus for days and days, but......

Good for you at the pet store.  DD told me that she and my DGD went to the pet store this morning.  I asked her about on-line shopping, and she said that was possible, but she was trying to support local stores as much as possible.

DD also said that they are shortening the hours at oldest DGS' store, and some of the cleaning people are being let go or having shorter hours.  He was most unhappy to have to tell them about the change.   The others seem to be doing okay so far.  DGD's boss is able to come back from India (not sick, but having trouble getting back home.)

Many of our local restaurants have closed or are only having take-out.  And, I think many people are without a job now -- very sad.

Hi Jean.  I know what you mean about sneezing, etc.  When I was in the store last Friday, a lady who sneezed said -- it is just allergies to no one in particular.  I don't think any of our stores are having senior hours -- probably because most of us qualify as seniors.

Glad you have a dog to care for, Susan.  I really miss having a pet while living alone plus being in a "social avoidance" mode.

Good that you and your DH are being careful, twinny.  Nice that you can reminisce about the things that you are keeping & tossing out.  I wish I were more motivated to do decluttering and cleaning, but I am more "into" cooking, reading, exercising, and fooling around on the internet.  Glad you visited your MIL.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Yesterday they closed the libraries, so all the fun spots are closed now.  I don't need any groceries or other staples, so I am staying away from the stores for the time being.  I will probably do my regular Friday shopping for produce and dairy.

I had contacted the tour company, and they said to send in the rest of the money, and they would let me know if there was a change.  I'm pretty sure the tour will be canceled, but I guess I can try again next year (assuming I am healthy and the virus is not so bad.)

I had ordered a mini elliptical like has, and it came a day early (yesterday), but I could not get one of the pedals on (long story).  The company said to fill out a form, and they would send a replacement, but it would take a while.  That put me down in the dumps, and in desperation, I sent an e-mail to the people in my HOA asking if there were any handypeople who would be willing to help.  Much to my delight, my neighbor said her husband could help, and he was able to get the nut off the pedal in a very short time this morning.  Now I am in business!  Very happy.

Since the rain was predicted for noon, I took a walk this morning -- mailed a letter.  It was very windy, but at least I got out for a while.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Have a nice day and stay safe.

Hugs,

Linda