Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Wed., Jan 23)

Good Morning Woman Happy  Well, the weatherman was off a little bit this morning.  It rained alright - just didn't reach the upper 30's as forecasted.  That meant that there was rain on a sheet of ice.  I asked my sister to text me once she got to work and I was up at 6:20, about 5 minutes after she sent the text.  She said she drove 30 MPH the whole way.

I really didn't know what was out there until I stepped onto the patio to feed the wildlife.  Thank goodness I didn't go at it full tilt.  I stepped down carefully into a small pool of water near the step because I didn't want to get my feet wet (wearing easy spirit suede clogs).  That's when I felt my foot shift a little. 

I got in an out without slipping and falling - geez.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Wed., Jan 23)

@Bird mama  It's been pouring here in NE Ohio, but our temp is heading up to at least mid 40's.  With the 1 foot of snow from the weekend, it was already flooding my back patio and the side streets when I left at 7:20am.  I had a hard time not soaking my feet walking to my garage and into this building.  I won't be home until 5pm, so I hope my sump pump holds out.  Tomorrow, it's going to freeze back over again.......I can't wait to see how that turns out!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Very glad you didn't fall on the ice and your sister made it to work okay.  Hope your sump pump holds out, 2blonde, and you don't have problems with ice tomorrow.  

It was pretty cool/cold here last night, but should make it to the upper 50's or 60 degrees today, and tonight's low is predicted to be 33 degrees.  

I did not sleep well last night, but managed to sleep in this morning.  It felt very weird to get up past 6:30 a.m., but I was proud of myself for staying in bed that long.  Nothing on the agenda today, which made it possible to get a later than normal start.

I found a few more glasses to donate.  I realize that I had two sets of large size drinking glasses, so I cut back to four of each set.  I can't imagine needing more than eight glasses, and if that happens, my guests will just have to drink out of smaller glasses and re-fill them.  Not that I have had any guests in a long time.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but one of my OLLI classes (starting tomorrow) is about grief and grieving.  The instructor and I have traded a couple of e-mails already.  Hopefully, it will be a good class.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day, and stay safe.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

@2blonde  Yea, it will eventually get warm enough here to melt the snow.  I expect the backyard to be a little sloppy.

@LindaLatte  This falls into my "what do I know category" Woman Wink  I think the OLLI class about grief and grieving will benefit you as a hospice volunteer.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama. Good job with not falling down on your patio.  I am glad that your sister made it to work safely in treacherous weather conditions.

2blonde,   having  a wet backyard is not fun this time of the year.  I am a snow lover.

Linda L,   have always had a weakness for glasses ever since we got married.  Two of my favorite sets we still have & use occasionally.  I have a built in China cabinet above the island, so I see them all each day. 

We had to cancel our eye appointments yesterday, because schools were closed in the town that we were heading to.  We had just gotten a call that our snow blower was ready to be picked up.  My DH took it in on Monday for a checkup & they were efficient and cheap.  The cost was $41 & the only thing that we have had done to it in 10 years.  I was surprised at the price because labor was $70 per hour.

We had freezing drizzle most of yesterday and then we got about 10" of light fluffy snow overnight.  We just got the driveway cleaned.  It took us less than 1/2.  

It's a nice sunny day now, so I am a happy camper.  Yesterday was so cloudy that I thought that the sun wouldn't ever shine again.

Nothing exciting going on around here today, but we have an appointment with our attorney tomorrow to update our Will.  It's been about 30 years since we had the last one done.  

Lunch is leftover broccoli/cauliflower/red grape salad etc (sounds awful, but it is good) & leftover potato soup.

Supper is something with chicken so that I can make 🐔🐔🐔 noodle soup with the leftover chicken

Hugs to all of you.

Then we will enjoy the hot tub. Yesterday it was a big NO because of the freezing drizzle most of the day.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Ladies...sounds like everyone is having crummy weather....yay Twinny you had your snow!  WE just had a weather alert for some freezing rain to come our way...it has been cloudy all,mornimg but not too cold after the past few days of sub freezen temps.

Bernie  I have a pair of old slip on shoes I keep those "grippers' on for when I run outside for a second when there is snow or ice on the ground....I keep them in my enclosed porch.....I had fallen years ago on some ice and wound up with a broken wrist so I am extra careful mow.....not that I would go,dancing up and down on a big block of ice,as the lady used to do when selling them on qvc years ago, but they do work.  I have a long driveway so I put them on to go down and pick up the mail...I still walk as if walking on eggs but I feel a little safer with them on.

I did go out this morning and picked up ingredients to make beef stew so that's our supper tonight with plent of leftovers for another time.

That's all from here...have a nice day...Marijane

Esteemed Contributor

@Genny1 wrote:

Hello Ladies...sounds like everyone is having crummy weather....yay Twinny you had your snow!  WE just had a weather alert for some freezing rain to come our way...it has been cloudy all,mornimg but not too cold after the past few days of sub freezen temps.

Bernie  I have a pair of old slip on shoes I keep those "grippers' on for when I run outside for a second when there is snow or ice on the ground....I keep them in my enclosed porch.....I had fallen years ago on some ice and wound up with a broken wrist so I am extra careful mow.....not that I would go,dancing up and down on a big block of ice,as the lady used to do when selling them on qvc years ago, but they do work.  I have a long driveway so I put them on to go down and pick up the mail...I still walk as if walking on eggs but I feel a little safer with them on.

I did go out this morning and picked up ingredients to make beef stew so that's our supper tonight with plent of leftovers for another time.

That's all from here...have a nice day...Marijane

Marijane,  I like the snow but not the freezing drizzle that came first.  Luckily it didn't make the driveway slippery & the snow was light.  I also have a pair of those things that fit over my boots.  I used them a lot when I was less mobile.  Now I am very careful where I go & where I walk.  I made beef stew a few days ago and the leftovers came in handy.  

Trusted Contributor

Oh I forgot to mention when I was in the store this morning picking up ingredients for my beef stew I was in the soul aisle gettimg some beef broth I spotted the Progressio soups....they were still on sale,88 cents a can but you had to buy 10 cans to get that price.  since I never have had their soup and I know Jean and Bernie buys them I only bought one can,just go see if I liked them or not....I picked up a can of the tomato basil...haven't tried it yet...probably tomorrow.

Twinny I just keep those grippers on an old pair of slip on shoes....Just to go around outside.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone - I feel kind-of bad about saying it's beautiful and sunny here, though cool.  Sleet, rain, snow...yikes! Marijane - I also like Progresso soups, and that's a good deal.

I have decided to return 2 of the 3 H by Halston tops that I received, and am still thinking about the 3rd.  It's not that they were bad, but I wasn't wowed by them.  I took a quick count in my closet to remind myself of the plenitude of tops I own, and decided that those 2 must go.  I am reading a book right now about "soft addictions" - things like shopping too much, watching tv, messing around on the computer, eating too much, etc., that take away from the best life we can have.  The book has some good points, but it's long-winded and rambles.  I think it'll be one of those books that I copy highlights from and then donate the book (I use a pencil to highlight in the margins as I read).  That way, if I want to refresh what I learned from the book, I look it up on my computer and can read about 4 pages of the most important facts.  

I didn't get as much done around the place today as I had hoped.  Just feeling kind-of tired.  Hope all is going well with you.  And to quote Jean - if you shop, shop wisely!  ~  Charlene