Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tuesday, October 25th)

Hello all, it's currently mostly sunny and 69 degrees in my little corner of the world.  I cleaned out the first floor gutters and mowed grass/vacuumed up leaves on Sunday.  Looked nice for about 10 minutes until more leaves fell.  I love this time of year and don't mind seeing some leaves on my grass. 

Today's garbage and lawn waste pickup day so I went into the backyard and cut down 3 rose of sharon plants and treated the stumps with full strength round up.  I have several more of these plants that seem to have started spontaneously thanks to the neighbor to the north.  I studied all of them this year and realized that they all budded and not all bloomed.  I think the ones that I just poisoned weren't getting enough sun.  

It's just a beautiful fall day here.

How are you doing today?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tuesday, October 25th)

Hi @Bird mama  It's 64 degrees and raining on & off.

I'm hemming & hawing over the last couple pages of the novel I'm writing, trying to decide the words I want to end with. I couldn't sleep last night thinking & rethinking it. Silly, I guess.

So hopefully, I'll sneak in a nap if the dog lets me LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

Birdmama---Thanks for getting the thread starated today. It sounds like you got a ton of work accomplished outside over the weekend. Funny you should say that about those shrubs. I noticed that all the llilies that I split for the new planters did not bloom this year. I never good with what tind if year is best for that chore but crossing my fingers that I see blooms next year. I did transplant a few lillies from small pots to larger pots and they are the first ones to shivel up for Fall. I think my camo thumb may have appeared again.LOL

Today is boiler repair so cross your fingers that he can replace the gasket and it's not too expensive. 

It's sunny and cool today. Rain is in the forecast for tomrrow and thne more of the same with cold at night and sunny and cool during the day. We've been getting more of the little chores handled for the outside and garage with this weather. I swear the list keeps growing.

We've hdd the turkeys return and the deer and buck. My signal that any other wildlife must not be in the area. The township never caught the bear family and stop posting sightings of them. We should be getting close to the bear's bedtime so that's a good thing. 

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  You certainly got a lot accomplished in the yard.  Hopefully, that means that you didn't have any more issues with the COVID vaccine.   I heard today that you should not get the vaccine for 90 days after you have COVID, so I need to wait at another month or so. 

Hi Desert Lily.  Hope your dog lets you sleep a while.  Many nights I have trouble sleeping since I am thinking of something.  You have a much better excuse.

Hope the boiler repair wasn't too expensive Fressa.  The HOA just sent a notice warning people to watch their pets.  A small dog who was in the owner's backyard had been killed by an owl -- scary.  Before I moved here, I never know that owls were so dangerous.

It was even colder than predicted this morning -- 36 degrees when I took my walk.  Despite wearing a hat and gloves plus a fleece jacket, I felt cold for the first half of the walk.  Now it is much warmer with a high of 75 degrees predicted.

I called in a refill for my allergy medicine yesterday, and it is ready for pick-up.  I plan to do so after I go to the gym.  The senior lunch program was very busy today, and it was the bosses' birthday.  They brought in a big cake which was a nice extra dessert for many of the attendees.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Sleep well everyone.

Hugs,

Linda   

Honored Contributor

It's not silly at all @Desert Lily   Sometimes I get a thing on my mind that loops and I have a hard time falling asleep.  Thank God it doesn't happen as much as it used to.

Honored Contributor

I'm hoping the boiler repair was completed and it didn't cost you an arm or a leg @Fressa 

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte   The booster worked me over most the day after.

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, it's been raining off and on all day & in the 50's.  My dh has been busy raking and leaf blowing most of the morning.  He did it yesterday and the day before, but the wind blew them back on the lawn.  

Desert Lily,  you lay awake for a good reason.  I lay awake a lot of nights and think about the dumbest things.  Two weeks ago I had a nightmare.  Thank goodness when I woke up, I couldn't remember what it was about.  Then a couple of days later, I woke up from a dream.  Went back to sleep and finished the dream.  

Linda L, you certainly have a variety of different temperatures.  It was in the 60's when I walked yesterday.  Perfect for me.  It's going to be sunny and in the 50's for the rest of the week.

Fressa, I have never had a green thumb.  I do as little as possible outside.  I hope you don't have a big expense with your latest fix it problem.

It was a busy morning. The cable guys came at 8:40 this morning and were gone 10 minutes later.  Just the push of a button that we didn't know that the TV had.  Lol and no charge.

My dh called his IRA company so we could take out the $$ that is required every year. We had a nice guy whom we could understand.  I dislike doing this every year.

Then just as we were ready to eat supper, the hearing center called & said they could work him in.  Off he went.  He has a new hearing aid for $130.   

We are heading out for a road trip tomorrow morning.  We are hoping that the leaves are still on the trees.  I am looking forward to a good lunch at a place we have never been to before.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama--The boiler problem was not totally repaired yesterday. The man eliminated 3 of 5 reasons it could be dripping water. I have to call him on Thursday to report what drippage has happened. He wasn't happy with the way the pipes for the water heater and boiler were hanging from the ceiling and the weight on the valves so he installed some straps for support. I had wondered  about that but everything seem secured. We don't have a non working baseboard heater so he's stumped. This was not the regular guy and it was late in the day when he arrived. I guess we'll have a part 2 to this repair. I did appreciate that they haven't increased the rates since we have a maintainece contract with them. 

I had him show me all the main parts of the system and I asked all my questions. I even got some rough prices for the parts. I guess since it's not a constant drip it's a guessing game but it still gave me an uneasy feeling. This man didn't seem to like the other two installers and their work with the water heater (new) and the boiler ( 5 years old). Don't know what that means but I don't want to be babysitting a furnace room. UGH!!