Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tuesday, Oct. 29th)

Hello all, I slept better last night, probably because of the exercise I got raking leaves yesterday afternoon.  I had room in two lawn refuse bags so I raked a bit more of the front yard before the crew came by for pick up.

In April, I pre-ordered a book about Prince.  He died before getting too far into writing his memoir however I still wanted whatever he managed to finish.  Today is the release date and my book has been shipped from Barnes and Noble.  I probably should have just waited and gone to the bookstore to get it today Woman Happy  Oh well, I did the same thing with a photographer's (Randee St Nicholas) book that will be released near the end of November.  Good things come to those who wait, right?

It's overcast and I think rain is coming later this afternoon.

What's good in your world?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tuesday, Oct. 29th)

@Bird mama   Boy this website is really squirrely today (no offense to the squirrels).

I bet you feel better having gotten so many of those leaves raked.  I got home early from work yesterday because of a doctor's appointment, so I decided to take a ride on my bike before it got dark.  In my life, I've never seen so many lawnmowers and leaf blowers all at the same time.  There are lots of old trees in the neighborhood where I ride, and after all the wind we had over the weekend, everyone was taking advantage of the warm weather!  When looking up, however, I still see most of those leaves are yet to fall.  They likely will wait until the weather is too bad to clean them up!

It's still in the 60's here today, but that is changing soon, and halloween is supposed to bring pouring rain most of the day, then a big drop in temps (ugh).

I also was a big fan of Prince and was very saddend by his early death.  I hope you enjoy the book.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

It looks like the leaf project will be a regular Saturday job here as well. We just did leaves, pine needles and walnut balls and on Sunday we have another ton on the ground. I've got to get to the hardware store tomorrow for more bags. Leaves can go into the paper bags but all the other yard waste has to be in plastic bags for our pick up. It's incrediable how many bags you have each time.

I had the furnace man here for the annual check up.  All looks good. What a relief. I had requested afternoon and a certain serviceman. (The original company that I have a policy with merged with another company and not all servicemen do the same level of checking.) At any rate, it was a different guy and he arrived in the morning. I had ten minutes to get the dogs in their kennels and block the door. He did a good job and the dogs were good so I added him to my list.. I had enough time to pick up a prescription today.

My husband has a Halloween party tomorrow at the office. Tonight I'm going to make a meat &cheese platter/crackers for him to take. Usually I bake pizelles but more people are on diets or health restrictions. I'm hoping the platter gets a thumbs up because it will be much easier to throw together. I have told him his job tomorrow is to make sure to bring the Lock & Lock container and my thermal food tote home. LOL

Today... the rain has stopped so I have my final furniture covers drying. Here's hoping I remeber to get them on before it rains and I start all over algain.  

I just happen to notice that most of my patio solar lights have this green coating on the inside of the glass. Guess I'll be out there one day this week with the Dawn and microfiber sponge. I've not had that situation before but the humidity must have remained high regarless of the low at night. I think I'll wait until the weekend to check all the lights around the house and yard. UGG!!!!

Hope everyone has a good afternoon and hopefully a good night's sleep. 

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--It is great that you were able to sleep better; hopefully that will continue once you are no longer raking leaves. It is true that exercise can help with sleep as long as the muscles have time to relax and repair before bedtime. Enjoy your book on Prince.

Laura--The good weather is encouraging many to get out and take care of the leaves, etc. before the rain arrives. Like you, we have beautiful weather but the bad news is that we are also facing dropping temperatures and rain.

Fressa--It is always good to have an annual checkup on the furnace system.  Carbon monoxide is often a byproduct of a developing furnace problem. The person sounded very efficient in checking the system and also earned the dogs' approval. The meat and cheese platter is a great choice for the Halloween party; I know that I would like that as an ooption.

I worked today and will also tomorrow and Friday. I was paid a compliment by the Main Office staff in saying that I have a great relationship with the students. I really enjoy most of them, and try to focus on finding some good even in the few students that can make it a challenge.

I confess to a moment of weakness. As I opened the QVC site, I saw a pair of Clarks shooties which really spoke to me. I love the style and the heel height as I no longer have anything with that manageable height. I caved and bought them on waitlist. A369582

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie. I am glad you slept better, and I hope you enjoy the book.  Yesterday, I heard part of an interview with the author, and he was talking about his shock at Prince's death.  I think it is good that Prince wrote at least part of his biography, and the author sounded like a big fan.

No rain here, but it was quite chilly on my walk this morning -- 41 degrees.  It should make it up to the mid 70's today, but only the upper 60's tomorrow with lows in the upper 30's.  While the rest of me was warm this morning, my hands were very cold, so I decided to wear gloves tomorrow.  Better to have warm hands, even if I look weird wearing gloves.

DD told me that she ordered the TSV boots for DGD since she is joining DD on her walks, and DGD didn't have anything like this.  Hope they fit and she likes them.

In regard to helping my grands, I know that I am lucky and blessed to be able to do so.  Many grandmas are barely able to take care of their own expenses.  Interestingly enough, the lady I spent a lot of time with on my Italy trip had worked two jobs at fairly prominent companies (one being American Express), one for about 15 years and the other 14 years.  Both companies ended up depleting their pensions, so, she is getting less than $200 a month combined from the two (one turned into an annuity, but....)  If it wasn't for her late husband's government pension, she couldn't afford much of anything -- certainly not trips overseas.   She was blessed to have his pension, but I thought it was quite unfair what the companies did with hers.

Hi Laura and Fressa.  No leaf issues around here.  We do have pieces of palm trees and other bushes and trees that blow into the yard, but not nearly like the "old days" when I lived in Maryland.  I remember spending lots of time raking and bagging leaves.  Good exercise, but.....

I continue to feel better, and I was happy to be back volunteering with the senior lunch program today.  All went well.  My shoulder area is very sore today from the personal training lesson I had yesterday.  While I plan to go to the gym, I will not be doing any upper body work today.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda