Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Tuesday, May 22nd

Thanks friends! Bernie I got very worried when one of my chickens "went broody" because I thought she was egg bound. I remember calling my best friend (who also had chickens) and praying over the phone for Henly.

Charlene that's funny about the snake eggs. Did she get hormonal too? We occassionally had chickens that had a hormonal imbalance and started to crow like roosters. It was always very strange and sickly crow that immediately got our attention.

Jean, so glad you made it home ok but sorry you got drenched. I was thinking this morning that the only storm we've had here was that weekend you were here. I don't miss driving in it but it is strange to not have a downpour once in a while.
Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama and Kathleen - Sorry that I don't know anything about birds, and my DD is the one who researched about snakes.  Yes, Snake definitely goes into nesting mode.  She becomes very active, pushes her bedding into mounds, and seems to be looking for a "different" place to lay her eggs.  Her normal "house" is an upside down clay pot with a doorway cut out, but she never lays her eggs in there.  So we learned, when we saw the nesting behavior start, to put a good-sized upside-down shoe box in there with a doorway cut out.  She seems to like that a lot.  It's a little easier for us, in that she always seems to lay once a year in June.  We do however, have to watch out for her becoming egg-bound.  It happens to snakes too.  She's almost 5 feet long and her eggs are the size and shape of my thumb.  Rather odd looking.  The other thing that tends to worry me is her weight.  Often, she will shed her skin before she goes into nesting mode, and snakes look half-dead and don't eat when they go through a shed.  Then she might shed again not long after laying eggs.  She has gone almost 2 months with no food during that shed/eggs/shed period.  She seems to rebound okay, but I always worry.  Snake is about 14 years old, and gopher snakes have a life span of 30 years in captivity (shorter in the wild.)  

Respected Contributor

Charlene that is fascinating! I had no idea they lived that long. I'm familiar with molting behavior. I had a tarantula for several years when my brother went to boot camp. Someone had to take her.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Hope your bird will be okay, Bernie.  Congratulations to your DD, 

Kathleen.  Interesting about your snake, Charlene.  I sure learn some interesting things here.  

Sorry you got drenched, Jean.  My flight from Denver was delayed due to storms in Iowa, and then we spent a bunch of time circling the airport before we landed.  In fact, at one point the pilot said we were going to Raleigh because we used up so much fuel with our circling.  Fortunately, that was not necessary.  However, the flight arrived about an hour and a half late, and the airport shuttle was late (I waited about an hour).  So, I'm pretty worn out from the trip -- left home about 4:30 a.m.  Guess it is good that it is three hours earlier at home than here.

During the first flight, a lady with a cat in a carrier sat next to me -- the cat cried almost the entire flight.  Yikes!  On the second flight, a lady with a six month old baby sat next to me, and the baby cried a lot less on a much longer flight.  Of course, I could not see the cat, and the baby was adorable, so I probably would have been more understanding in any case. 

Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Oh my Linda, that does NOT sound like a happy flight.  Glad you're safe and sound.  Catch up on your rest!

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't sleep all that well last night, but  okay.   I wanted to mention to Charlene that I met a couple from San Diego who had come to their daughter's graduation (MBA) at the University of VA.  They had a very difficult time finding a place to stay since hotels are booked up to one year in advance for graduation time.  The weather was bad -- terrible storms before the graduation and very hot and humid the day of, but the kicker was that the resort where they were staying was struck by lightening and they had to move to a different hotel at the last minute.  And, the drive up from the University to the airport was horrible (large amount of traffic).  The man said it was like in Los Angeles.  They were beyond tired.

Hope you and your family have much better luck if you come to your son's graduation.