Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Tuesday, May 22nd

Good Afternoon fellow shoppers,

My morning started off with a little excitement.  Despite living with birds for nearly 13 years and having a female bird from the beginning in 2005 (Poppi's sister Peewee), I have never had a female bird pass an egg.  It can happen even with single female birds and it happened this morning to my Presto.

I've had entirely too many dramatic bird related things happen in the last 12 days.  First the ducklings, then saying goodbye to Poppi and now this.  I'm officially waiving the white flag and saying Uncle.

On the shopping front, the earrings from Lord and Taylor are getting closer statewise and my JCP order has shipped.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Tuesday, May 22nd

[ Edited ]

I received my ebates check over the weekend and deposited it today $9.59.  Believe it or not, that's an improvement over the previous check.  I am trying to learn patience and shop when the ebates reimbursement percentages are higher.  I think my next check is already up to almost $20. 

I haven't bought more, I've just shopped wisely :-)

Respected Contributor

Oh my goodness, did she let you have it or could itbe fertilized???
Respected Contributor

And did you see her lay it? I bet you were shocked.

Its a lovely day here. I had my first coaching phone call this morning and it was VERY insightful. Then a call from little DD. She picked up a rate/got promoted. Petty Officer 3rd class HM3. Its hard to get promoted in her rate because there are so many. This was the 7th time she tried for it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Rock_chick  No Kathleen I did not see her lay it.  She must have been on one of the perches outside of the habitat because when I walked into the room I saw a big wet spot (big for her) on the paper around the floor beneath the habitat and saw clear fluid, shattered egg shell and a little yolk.  No possibility is was fertilized.

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. How exciting about the egg! What a great way to measure progress! I also got my eBates check.

Kathleen--Congrats to DD upon her promotion. I know you are so proud of her. 

I am drenched. I worked today and forgot my umbella, so what did it do when I had to leave school and get in my car? A downpour so bad that is was difficult to drive home. We creeped. I saw when I got home that a car and a school bus were involved in an accident in the rain. The parents are being called with the students being taken home on another bus. Fortunately there were no known injuries.

I do hope this rain stops, as I have appointments tomorrow in the city one of which is one for a test that I had to wait over a month to take. If it has to be rescheduled, it will be another long wait.

I see the CEO of JCP is going to Lowes with the JCP stock going down and Lowes going up. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon friends!  Bernie - thanks for getting us started today.  I think that's fun about Presto laying an egg.  We had our DD's pet gopher snake (named Snake, because we had no idea if it was male or female) for 12 years, when she laid her first batch of eggs.  People kept asking us if we'd have baby snakes, but no, that's what unfertilized means.  No access to a male snake means unfertilized eggs.  Just like the chicken eggs you buy at the grocery store.  Since then, Snake lays 1-5 eggs, usually in June.  We let her "nest" on the eggs for a few days, and then we dispose of them.  Kathleen - that's nice for your DD - congrats! 

I did a bunch of yard work this morning, and am doing misc. chores around the house now.  I made my to-do list which is giving me that structure I need.  It's a lovely day too.

Waves to all  ~  Charlene

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat

Since I have zero experience with any pregnant animals - I only am calm when I am raising their babies :-), I was terrified this morning.

Presto has been acting different and hormonal (just learned what that was on Monday) and each morning she would strain when she was trying to go potty.  It improved during the day after I would give her a shot of avian liquid calcium plus and a warm sits bath. 

If a bird gets egg bound, they can die in a matter of hours so I kept telling myself maybe she is constipated, maybe she is hormonal.  Even though he lived the life of a king, I'm still not straight or sleeping well since Poppi died.

She dropped the egg and then her first potty after was clear with blood in it and I thought I was going to die.  

I hope that it was a one and done kind of thing and that she doesn't become a serial egg layer like some 'pet' birds.  

Sorry that your weather was lousy and I hope it improves for your day in the city tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

Kathleen @Rock_chick  Congratulations to your daughter on her promotion.

Honored Contributor

Charlene @cerb  since the egg thing is news to me and somewhat frightening I worry that since she's in this hormonal frame of mind, now that her egg broke will she try to replace it by laying more?  

She was really chowing down on the cuttlebone for the week before Poppi died and now she is not doing anything with it.  Low calcium = higher risk of being eggbound. 

I'm afraid she will die because her mother is ignorant on these things.