Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tuesday, July 26th)

Hello all, I shopped home depot this morning and bought copper ground wire, two zinc clamps and a new pair of wire cutters Woman Very Happy

Water meters need to be grounded and my old one was more or less half grounded.  I have no idea what kind of wire was used and it was attached to only one pipe with a clamp that was in bad shape.  Brian the water meter installer mentioned I needed to buy another clamp for the other end of the ground wire and he showed me where that end needed to be clamped.

I figured since my copper pipes looked beautiful and my new meter was pretty jazzy I would just replace the ground wire.  The hardest part was cutting the rusty sc#w off with my handy dandy dremel.

It looks so pretty now and I feel safer knowing the grounding is correct.

I know, I need a better hobby Woman Very Happy

How is your day going?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tuesday, July 26th)

@Bird mama  You are definitely brave and talented. I had to go online today to find directions for the adjustable lawn sprinkler I bought. No talent here.

The weather was beautiful here today. The high was around 80, and it was partly cloudy. We rarely had any clouds in the West, so it's a treat for me to see a cloudy day in PA.

While I was bending over trying to figure out the sprinkler, my hair kept falling into my face to remind me that I need to cut my hair pretty soon. After using haircutting scissors I had ordered from amazon during the pandemic and repeatedly cutting my fingers with them, I've learned to use a scissors with a blunt end instead. Lol

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Desert Lily is correct -- you are brave and talented.  Glad you are happy with your efforts.

I'm like you, Desert Lily.  Sometimes the print on the directions are so difficult to read that I need to look them up on-line.  Sorry I don't know your history.  Have you moved from the West to PA, or are you just visiting or have two homes?  I have lived in Arizona for the past 11 years, and have come to enjoy clouds and even rain.  That wasn't usually the case when I lived in Maryland.  We have been having bits of rain -- sometimes heavy -- the past few days.  

Good luck with cutting your hair.  You are brave to do so.  When COVID hit, I just let my hair grow.  It was pretty bad by the time I felt safe enough to go to a salon.

The senior lunch program went okay -- just about perfect in terms of the amount of food/people.  But, they sent a totally different lunch than was on the menu.  Most people were okay with the change, thank goodness.

The director of the senior lunch program is helping a man who used to participate, but now has dementia, etc.  She is so very kind to him -- nice lady.

I received more information about COVID from the tour group.  They suggested bringing some home test kits with you, and provided a number to call if you test positive before or during your trip.  Fingers crossed that I don't have that problem.

Waves to Fressa, Glenda, Susan, and all of our posters and readers.

Happy Birthday to Kathleen!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @LindaLatte  I moved from the West coast to PA in April and had a new home built. There were no sprinkler directions on or in the box, but I did find them on the internet.

From what you wrote, it sounds like you're going on a trip. I wish you happy and safe travels.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, Desert Lily.  I am hoping that it is a nice trip -- tour of Western Canada.  Hope you love your new home.  I still think of myself as a Marylander despite the move.  

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily  Regrounding the water meter sounds a heck of a lot more scary than it really is.  The water meter installers are on an aggressive schedule and residents are made aware that the shut off valves, etc need to be in working order.  I really got lucky with Brian because he could have technically said hey this ground is not up to code and not installed the new meter until it was corrected.  Instead he did the installation and gave me a heads up.  I wouldn't have known since the meter looked like that since I bought the house almost 21 years ago.  

Some folks call what I did jumping the water meter.  You basically clamp a wire on either side of the meter so that if there is some kind of major electrical event, the surge with hit the ground and not short out the meter - hence the jump.  The ground wire was basically dead and there was no risk of electrocution. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise