Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Tuesday, Jan 3rd

Good Afternoon everyone, I'm back to work after the long holiday weekend.  It's been drizzly and foggy downtown all day.  I can finally see Windsor Ontario across the river.  I get nervous when I can't see my neighbors to the North, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Tuesday, Jan 3rd

Good afternoon ladies -- Happy New Year to you all.

First day home alone since December 23rd.  It's been a busy 2 weeks, still getting things put back together.  Have more cleaning to do today and then get back to cooking.  Haven't cooked a meal since Christmas Day.  We have been eating things from the freezer or eating out since.

With a balmy 6 degrees today for the high, it will be easy to stand in the kitchen hovering over the stove.  The sun is out, thankfully, but we are in for a very cold week.Smiley Sad

Need to run some errands later this week, not looking forward to the cold temps.  Am returning Christmas gifts, not mine, but size and style was an issue this gifting season.  My CC will appreciate all the help it can get, if you know what I mean.

Have a wonderful day all.  My CC is locked up tighter than a drum, hope to keep it that way for the entire month, outside of groceries and gas.

Blessings to you all.Heart

Honored Contributor

Hi everybody,

http://www.ncmeetsdc.com/2016/01/2016-here-we-go.html

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, I hope that you have a good day at work!  It was foggy last night & this morning.  I get nervous when I can't see the neighbors house across the street.

3suwm5,  I haven't cooked much either since Christmas & we had no sleepovers.  I took the Christmas things down yesterday.  Just kept the snowmen out until we are sick of them.  Right now we can see green grass with a few white hi lights.  I didn't use the CC at Christmas, but used it yesterday when I ordered the DB jacket.  It will be paid off in full though, when the next statement comes.  Oops, I used the CC this morning again.  A trip is in our future.  

Yesterday I cleaned out the small pantry & used almost all of my new Rubber Maid containers.  They worked wonders & I have a few left over for other purposes.

Today I just piddled around the house.  It will be cold tomorrow, so I will tackle the file cabinet.  That job was done 4 years ago & needs help.

meallen, I went into the grocery store last Friday with a list of 4 things & came out with 9 or 10 items.  Thank goodness it wasn't $125! 

Property taxes are due the end of January & we signed up for an 11 day trip to Riviera Maya this morning.  My CC will be locked up tighter than a drum too.

Hugs to all of you.

Trusted Contributor

Each morning I am trying on an item of clothing in my closet and if I can wear it -- I wear it immediately -- if I can't, then I put it in my "give-away" box before I have my morning coffee.

ALSO I am noticing which clothes are my favorites, and instead of buying just something because it is a good deal, I am instead buying another item of clothing similar to one I own that I wear and wear -- BETTER TO HAVE 2 (IN DIFFERENT COLORS) ITEMS I LOVE AND FIND COMFORTABLE AND ATTRACTIVE than to have 5 items that are so-so. 

I did this with a Barefoot Dreams sweater (the long straight one with pockets that was a TSV over the summer, not the curved hem one that was a TSV later in the year -- don't like that one at all -- sent it back). Unfortunately the second (my fore-mentioned favored Barefoot Dreams) I ordered the other day was at full price -- but the first one is my favorite sweater and at home I wear it multiple times a week. It's SO WARM AND COMFORTABLE! And I feel good in it.

I am also noticing that I repeatedly wear a few new items I have bought during the last few months, but am rarely wearing my older clothes. THAT INFORMS ME TO BUY A FEW ITEMS I LOVE EACH SEASON -- **A FEW** -- WEAR THEM AND WEAR THEM OUT! BUT -- don't buy too much -- because in a year or two I will be tired of them.

THANKS FOR LISTENING!   ***What is your latest shopping revelation?***

Esteemed Contributor

Solar1, join us anytime.  I try to keep my closet orderly, so I can see everything at a glance.  Whenever I buy a new thing or two, out goes 1 or 2 things.  Since we live in the Midwest, my spring/summer things are stored in the guest room closet.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Benie.  

Welcome to the thread, Solar1.  I have been working on careful shopping, particularly clothes and shoes.  Unlike you, I often find the older items are more "favorite" than the new.  Of course, there are exceptions.  I think that sweater sounds like a winner for you, and the "cost per use" is no doubt excellent.  

Certainly cold where you live 3suwm5.  I think I would like to be in the warm kitchen if I were there.  It has been a little chilly here lately, but much warmer than most of the country.

Hope you like you new jacket when it arrives, twinny.  Like you, I pay credit cards in full, but sometimes that total is much higher than others.  At least I am earning "points" on them.  During my weekly financial review, I make sure that I have allocated the money for when the bill comes.  I could never understand how my MIL would be so surprised when she received the bill.

I often end up buying much more than I plan at the grocery store, meallen.  Another thing I'm working on.

We had a special event at the senior lunch program today -- baked potato day (potatoes, chili, cheese, etc.), and a good entertainer.  Good cake and ice cream for dessert.  The seniors liked it, but what a mess.  We were discussing how to make it a little less messy next time.

I visited DH three times yesterday, and I guess he was a little better the third time.  But, still not great -- he could not walk, and it took a lot for him to get out of the chair.  Really hope he is better today.  The husband of one of my Caregivers group passed away on December 28th.  I am very sad for her, and I was talking to the head of the "Club" who told me that the whole staff was so sad about his passing.  I guess he had been attending regularly until a week and a half before he passed.  Hopefully, his wife will attend our meeting on Thursday.  Very nice lady.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Good evening, everyone! It was good to get back to work and will be doing so the rest of this week as well as four days next week.

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread.  Your comment about the  "neighbors to the North" reminds me of a time I was one of our state's delegates to a national convention in Detroit. The nationnal people assigned states to certain hotels, so we were assigned to a very acceptable hotel across the border. We were transported back and forth by bus, so there was a simplified border check in which the agent just got on the bus and asked the group if we were American citizens. Some nut in the back said, "no." As a result, we had to get off the bus and individually present proof of our citizenship. We were tired so we weren't happy with the person that delayed us about an hour.

Solar1--Welcome! I am somewhat like Linda in that recently I've found myself preferring my older items more than the newer. I like new things but there is something about many of them that does not attract me to wearing them more. If I  have a winner of an item, I do have a habit of ordering it in different colors especially if they are pants. Most of the clothes I have do not know seasons so they can be worn year-round, thus making them even more cost effective. The only exception are a couple of coats for Winter, and jackets for about 3 seasons.

meallen--Love the graphic. I have a friend who made a special trip to pick up a grocery item, spent 3 hours exploring all the aisles and came home with a variety of things but didn't buy the item that motivated the trip.

3suwm5--Good advice about the credit card. I'm a big  user of cc's for the points, etc. but pay in full. It has been said that even when paying in full that the use of credit cards encourage excessve buying and I'm guiilty of that at times.

Twinny--I am happy that you are making the trip to the Riviera Maya again. This gives you something to look forward to, Like me, you get much pleasure from travel, so that is a good use of the credit card.

Linda--I do hope that DH seems to be better today. I know that the recent changes likely have you concerned. Be there for him, but also take time for yourself as you do with volunteering, your exercizing, etc.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, your senior lunch sounded yummy, but hopefully less messy next time.  It is too bad about your DH falling, but a good thing that he doesn't hurt himself.  It was difficult for me to see mom almost every day & take care of myself.  You are doing a great job of balancing it all.

Jean, it is nice that you are getting lots of working days after having a good break.  I feel the need to travel after having several years  when I was homebound.  I never want to say "I wish that we would have gone here or done that.".   I am just so lucky.  Also the friends that are going with us are struggling big time with his PD & their traveling will probably end pretty soon.  All inclusive resorts are the easiest way as we are all getting older.  

Contributor

Hi Smiley Happy a new qvc'er over here Smiley Happy starting to switch out the junior sized clothes into misses/woman's clothes! Grabbed some denim and co clearance with easy pay and the H brand (forget the name) pants, should be in either tomorrow or Thursday can't wait Smiley Happy Smiley Happy