Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tuesday, August 9th)

Good Morning Woman Happy

I'm sitting in my office with the window open.  We had several consecutive days of high heat and humidity and it feels good to breathe fresh air in the house. 

I made it through JCP's mystery sale with a 50% off coupon without buying anything.  I feel like that was an accomplishment.

How are you today?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tuesday, August 9th)

Coupons can be such an enticement. Or sometimes sales can work the other way.  I'm so used to buying items on sale that by the time a sale rolls around, the stuff in my size is gone.  

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

Birdmama--Thanks for gettin us started today.We shared some of the heat & humidity with thunderstorms & rain each day and evening. UGH!!!  I noticed that some of our tomatoes are not doing so well with all of this. Our peppers are limping along but at least a few grew. 

Our replacement hepa unit and filters arrived yesterday. We had it working by late afternoon and by evening I could tell the difference. This unit is old so finding the filter was a challenge. Filters seem to be the deal breaker on many items. 

I hope to pick up prescriptions today but my migraine hasn't eased up so far. It must be the humidity aggrivating it. The pharmacy limited the number of days you have to pick up prescriptions before they void it filled. 

The hubby is picking up the dogs prescriptions at the vets this afternoon. This should be one expensive afternoon. UGH!!!

I did watch some of D&Co this morning while I was sorting some laundry. The prices are a good deterant for not purchasing. I did see the Dennis Basso show. I love his items. Window shopping is a good way to put me to sleep. 

The turkey family is still living in our woods. We only saw the female with 2 of the babies yesterday. I don't know if that means the others are gone or they take them out a few at a time. They might be nesting for part of the night next to our garage. There are always feathers there next to our Rubbermaid shed. 

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Honored Contributor

When it comes to filters @Fressa  you are not whistling Dixie.   Even though my old furnace and my new furnace use those big and thick air filters that don't require changing except once a year, I live with birds.  Birds can't help being ashy, it's the nature of the feathers that grow out of quills.  I like to replace my filters twice a year on the furnace.

When I was creeping up on 6 months of having this new furnace I thought time to get replacement filters Bernie.  I was accustomed to my Lennox/AprilAire old system having to use mostly OEM AprilAire filters.  I thought with this Carrier furnace maybe getting furnace filters would be easier.  Yea, No.  Not the case.  Sure Home Depot and Lowes came close but there was always one measurement that didn't meet the mark.

Finally I thought pull the air filter out Bernie and see who made it.  I got the name (it escapes me now) and I looked up the company to see if they sold to retail customers.  Yes, yes they do.  Now, I used to pay around $45 per AprilAire filter so when I saw the company (I wish I could remember the name - too lazy to run down to the basement) sold a 3 pack for $75 I thought Jesus what a bargain.

Yea I know the furnace company could sell me one when they come out for maintenance.  They would also mark up the price for the privelege.

I ordered a 3 pack for me and a 3 pack for my sister since I know what her system needsw.

Then we come to the humidifier water panels.  Again Home Depot and Lowes gets close but no cigar.  I wanted Carrier humidifier water panels so I ordered a 2 pack from Amazon and they arrived banged up because most stores just tape the boxes together and don't put them in a shipping box.  We're talking like $15 per humidifier panel which is fairly cheap.

When my humidifier is on I have it on full bore as high as the setting goes.  I'm in a two story house and I can't allow my birds or myself to get dried out and ashier than we already are on a normal basis.  This means I change my humidifier water pads every 3 months.

Found a nice company down south and communicated via email about how they are shipped with the owner - what a sweetheart of a man.  I bought 6 humidifier water panels that was going to be sent in a real shipping box because of the quantity I ordered.  Ended up getting those for like $8 a piece.  I'm telling you that business has a customer for life even if he raises the prices a bit, he was such a sweetheart.

I know what its like to try to find the replacement media for your equipement. It can be a real PITA.

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama--I laughed when I saw your "PITA" remark. That was my nickname for a rep/salesman that I had on the phone almost every day, nice guy but a P.I.T.A> 

I was trying to remember how much I paid for the replacement air filters from the "original" company we had. It was over $100 per season. Considering that was tens of years ago----they must have been really overcharging me. When I finally found the one "good" guy at that place --he ony charged me $75. It was more than what I paid this week but much less than the other guys. 

I'm at the point where I'm doubting any price from any of these guys (especially for these house updates). It's giving me a migraine. 

Have a nice evening. 

Honored Contributor

@Fressa  The name of the furnace filter company that fits my furnace is Field Controls.  That's who I ordered from directly.

The company I ordered my humidifier water pads from was Arnold's Service Co in the great state of Kentucky.  I went to the website to make sure I wasn't getting it twisted and nearly fell outta my chair.  There was a simple statement on the website from Mr. and Mrs. Arnold that they closed their store after 20 years of business on 8-1-22.  I wanted to cry.

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama----What a shame about the Arnold's store. I've seen that around here with the small companies/businesses just can't copete with the big chains or multi locations. I think it's also affecting the medical projesion and labs. The vet's office went that way and it's scary.