Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tues., Nov. 19th)

Hello all, I just got home from the recycling center and two trips to the Home Depot.  The first trip was to pick up new pulls for one of my bifold closet doors, some C sized batteries and my shower head.  They have this new pickup locker method for smaller items (I guess).  I got home, was ready to install that new shower head and when I opened the box and saw an oil rubbed bronze shower head I did a double take.  I checked the receipt and confirmed that I did indeed order a chrome shower head so back to Home Depot I went.

Customer service was great and I should have the correct one in a couple of days.  They even have a note on the order (customer service spoke directly with home depot dot com folks) to open the box and make sure it's chrome before they ship the next one out Woman Very Happy

Maybe there's a reason it's not a good idea to install the shower head today.  I'm going to get out of the universe's way and just go with it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tues., Nov. 19th)

@Bird mama   Don't you just hate that!  You get all the way home and all set to install it, then........what??  At least they were nice and accommodating about it, but I'd hate to have to drive back to the store.  I think your right about the universe......I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason why you shouldn't install it today.  Personally, I'm afraid of plumbing and electrical things......especially plumbing!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde   Lucky for me the home depot is 2 miles away.  When it comes to electrical I will replace light fixtures, outlets and light switches.  Anything more complicated than that and I need a pro.

When it comes to plumbing, I can replace a spud gasket on a toilet (lol) and the inner workings of a toilet tank.  I have never installed a toilet and would actually like to try that one day.  I also know how to replace bathroom faucets.

When I replaced my kitchen faucet and disposal I hired the job out because the Grohe faucet cost me over $400.  Also the disposal somehow connected to the dish washer (I think) and even though I haven't used the dishwasher in years I didn't want an issue.

I can replace washers that go bad in the basement faucets or outside spigots.  Depends on the job.  

I don't mess with anything gas related if I can help it.  I did install a gas oven into my built in cabinetry back in 2008 only because Lowes was gonna charge me almost as much as the oven cost (on sale).  My hands were shaking on that job, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Sorry about the showerhead mix-up.  At least Customer Service was nice.  Probably a sign you were not supposed to do the work today.  Thanks for the information about podcasts.  I have listened to them on my computer, but I would rather be able to walk around to listen to them.  Fortunately, I have not found many podcasts that it has been an issue.

Like you, I am really enjoying the "Crown", Jean.  I have only seen about five of the new episodes, but they have been excellent.

Our weather has changed -- it was cloudy, but no rain and fairly mild this morning, but it is cooler and we have had some rain and thunderstorms already this afternoon.  We can use the rain, but certainly not the flash floods that might happen.  

I was very impressed with the new vein doctor, and I am already scheduled for a procedure the day after Thanksgiving.  He has been doing work with veins for the past 15 years, and has plenty of experience with what is and is not covered by insurance.  

Long story short, he described all sorts of options -- including doing nothing, wearing compression hose for the rest of my life, vein stripping (like I did on my left leg many years ago), lasers, etc.  The option that he felt was probably the bast for me is a procedure using a medical device.  He actually had this type of surgery himself, and it worked fine.

The procedure can be done without anesthesia right in his office.  It takes a couple of hours, and he said I will probably be bored, so I could bring music or select the type of music I would like them to play.  He also told me lots of information about the compression hose that I wish I had known when I got them last July.  Yikes!  He also thinks I could have a different type of procedure on my left leg since there are a few "branches" that should be repaired.  But, he only does one leg at a time.

In response to Laura -- if you don't have pain with the varicose veins, I would just forget about it.   I have had issues when I am not moving -- sitting for long periods of time or sleeping for many years.  So, surgery is considered "medically necessary" for insurance purposes.  My volunteer buddy has horrible looking veins in her legs, but no pain.  So, it doesn't make sense for her to have surgery.

I will need to wear the compression hose for a couple of weeks after the surgery, and I will not be able to do my regular workouts or long walks for a while (perhaps two weeks, but I'm not sure).  I can do my upper body workouts, but not things like the elliptical.  

Sorry for the long story, but I thought Laura (and maybe some others) might be interested.

The senior lunch program went well today.  The new carpet is beautiful, but the smell was pretty bad -- perhaps the glue?  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- You are an amazing DYI woman, Bernie!

Respected Contributor

@LindaLatte   Linda, I appreciate your response.  I hope I don't get pain in them, and I'm sorry you are experiencing that.  At least you can have it fixed.  I know a man who has the worst veins you ever saw, and he says he has no pain.  (I mean they really stick out).  He was heavy when he got them, but lost the weight.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I am a klutz when it comes to working with items, so I envy your ability to work on household items. You need to do  You Tube videos of your work.

Linda--I am glad that your consultation with the vein doctor went well and wish you great success, and that you were able to give Laura advice. I think it is amazing that you are able to have this procedure done in the office without anesthesia.

Laura--My mother had bulging varicose veins. She fell once and cut one which resulted in a trip to the emergency room. I have minor spider veins and wear the light weight compression hose but which are still a challenge to put on.I think they are the 15-20mmHg version knee highs/travel socks that come in a variety of shades.

I worked today in my favorite classes. For some reason, the students and I really get along well despite the work they have to do. Two of the classes are acceleratred classes which also give college credit, oneis a class in which students take online classes under teacher supervision, and two are just regular classes. 

For anyone debating the TSV, I have the Berkshire Velvet Soft throw from last year. It worked well, is comfy and warm; just follow directions for care and you will find yours lasting as mine has.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.