Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tues., May 21st)

[ Edited ]

Hello all, my JCP order arrived yesterday courtesy of UPS.  Usually they hand off the package to the post office so I don't know what was different about this order Woman Happy  I am pleased with the 2 cardi/shrugs and new blouse.  All items have been laundered and the blouse has been ironed.

I have a huge silver maple in front of my house and just came in from visiting with my arborist who dropped by to do an estimate.  Old silver maples are big and the limbs on those things can shoot off in different directions. 

This job is going to be pricier than I expected because my arborist will be doing what I call a structural pruning on the tree.  Most of the large limbs that have split off grew straight up (for the most part).  There is a large limb that split (one more vertical, one more horizontal).  When the wind comes ripping across the field behind my side of the street and roars down my neighbor's driveway, it catches that large horizontal limb and torques the tree.  It's causing some stress on the tree.

This is going to cost me $1200 to correct the condition and prune the entire tree, plus he's going to remove 2 lower hanging limbs off the mulberry in the back.

On the bright side, I shouldn't have to structurally prune the tree again in it's lifetime or my lifetime.  Woman LOL

I'll take pictures (waiting for a sunny day) and share so that what I'm trying to describe makes more sense.

They have to bring climbers and a bucket truck like utilities use.  The more I think about it, it is a big job Woman Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tues., May 21st)

Hello ladies...cutting in lol..

JCP years ago was my go-to place for EVERYTHING the employees knew me, would find the scratch off with 30% (coded on back she said) and held it for me...then ...then...the horrible CEO from Apple took over and killed it ..no coupons..and I did great with coupons! Brands gone...I loved worthington...ana..boohoo...they went bye-bye in my mall and I head to Kohls for stuff that I don't purchase TJ Maxx/Marshall's/Burlington lol...but Kohls... they are slowly losing me too..

That said..I like a brand of sandals..Italian Shoemakers..the BLING LOL..and I googled them and you know how FB works..whatever your google shows up ...and they showed my brand at JCP for like 65% off ...then I googled and found a 30% additional off..SCORE..but...no free S*H coupons to be found..so I held my breath and paid the $8.95 SH on a super cheap order..as the sandals were on Amazon for 39.99 and 49.99 each...and they were $45 bucks for THREE pair..

My complaint..O...M..G..shipping that i paid for..we are now ten days out..and it was supposed to be out for delivery...and they changed it..what in the world..I ordered 5/11...they shipped 5/17...and delivery was 5/21... Amazon has us so spoiled. 

I loved the JCP of old days!!! We shopped their for everything.

Honored Contributor

@CouponQueen   I'm in SE Michigan and I think most of my JCP items come from Ohio so I usually get them in pretty good time.  It is frustrating when you pay S/H and still have to wait.

Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies, thanks for starting Bernie....I know trees can be very expensive to trim or take down...seems like every year we have to do one or another.  if one is taken down at least we have the wood my DH and sons cut up and store and let age for use in our wood stove so we don't have to buy any.  Glad you like all your JCP purchases.

Coupon queen we don't have a JCP near me and I never think to look on line.  Every time Bernie mentions purchases I always mean to check on line and see what they have,but always forget.

our cable was out all mornimg,tv,internet.  we had a recording from Optimum,our company, saying g there was damage to the lines,from what who knows ,and we're working on it.    we had a few more recorded calls and just a few minutes it just came back on....our electric was fine all along.

We have a great white shark in our waters a few towns from me..that's the big story around here, the oceanographers who track these things said they heard pinging from this shark who came down from Nova Scotia...this is the first time ever one has been recorded in Ct. They have named him Cabot after John Cabot....funny thing we had named our 1 st Lab Cabot too after John Cabot as he founded Labador where Lab dogs originated.     

Thats about it...it has been beautiful weather since the pool guys opened the pool last Thursday......I told my DH maybe we should  open    the pool March 1st next year and we will get nice weather from March on!   it had been a terrible cold,rain spring till last week.

have a nice day everyone.....Marijane 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sure a child could have done a better job on this photograph. 

This is a picture of the tree in front of my house.  It's not like I never did anything with this tree.  This will be the third time in less than 18 years that I am having it professionally maintained.  I did tell the guy to focus on my neighbor's driveway because last year she was passive aggressive about my tree. 

IMG_2605 (300x225).jpg

The purple blocked out things are the houses.  The area I've circled in pink is coming off the tree over her driveway.  This tree is pretty big and he's got other pruning to do in the other directions - like away from my roof, the street side and then evening out the shape overall.

Respected Contributor

Bernie..you are a good neighbor..my neighbor planted a tree right on the property line about 8 feet fro our family room. That was 3 neighbors ago the replacement does nothing to manage it and I am waiting for it to take us out in a big storm.

Genny girl,. We are heading to Greenwich tomorrow..I told my brother I do not want to see any great whites when we go out. Lol.

Respected Contributor

@CouponQueen   I had only one online ordering experience with JCP.  It was my first and last.  I ordered a nice coat, and waited and waited for them to ship it.  Twelve days after I placed the order, they canceled it......said it was out of stock.  It took them 12 days to figure that out.

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have a safe trip Barbara.....Flight and shark wise.... we are about 20 minutes from Greenwich..the weather has been perfect past few days.   

Barbara just read Cabot has moved south to The Hamptons in L I.     😀

Esteemed Contributor

Glad you  like your JCP items, Bernie.  They did look nice on-line.   That tree sounds like a lot of work, but it is very pretty.  Nice of you to take your neighbor's complaints into account.

Nice that your weather has improved, Marijane.  It is lovely here in the DC area.  Yesterday they had their first 90 degree day.  According to what I saw on the Internet, it seems like it is much cooler than normal in Arizona.  There was even some snow in the mountains in the north part of Tucson yesterday.  I think it should be back to normal later in the week or next week.

I saw the shark news, Barbara.  Certainly hope you don't run into any.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  I'm in the hotel near Dulles Airport now.  My flight leaves very early tomorrow morning, so I have already arranged for a cab tomorrow at 3:30 a.m.  Yikes!

I had a nice visit with DD and family.  Today we went to some furniture stores, and she found sofas (2) and an ottoman to replace a broken down sectional that is in the basement where they watch TV.  They were having a big sale -- 55% off, so this was a good day to buy.

This hotel is a big come-down from the others, but is is quite large -- two rooms, two beds, two TV's and even two refrigerators.  It is intended for extended stays, but I guess they had a free room for the night.

Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

@LindaLatte   Safe travels to you Linda.