Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tues., Jan 28th)

Hello all, we're having another overcast/gloomy kind of day.  I had time this morning to clear out some styrofoam packing/peanuts from the garage before the garbage guys came.

I made a trip to the recycling center, post office and bank to pick up some deposit slips. 

That's all I got Woman Very Happy

How are you today?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tues., Jan 28th)

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. You managed to make the best of a gloomy day.

I worked today with 3 hours of sleep. It was one of those nights I just couldn't sleep despite Advil, etc. I started the day off with a text informing me that both the IRS and the State had accepted my return. This is the first time in years that I've gotten a refund from the State. 

Right now, I am a little over 8000 steps for the day. I'll likely go over 10,000 this evening  as I aim to get at least 250 steps in each hour plus 15 minutes to 30 minutes of stepping to a TV program.

FitbitJan28.JPG

I plan to go to the city tomorrow and have lunch with a friend, and to shop WalMart, and also to check out Lowes for some LED light bulbs. That will be my off day from exercising much.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

What does it take to waste $10,000 in a year? I just saw this on FB, and the answer is $2740 a day in misc. spending.  We used to talk about this on this thread with the favorite reference to the "$20 bill alert." Just $10 a day spent on something that is a want is $3650 a year.  I have never had lunch at school. I refuse to pay the adult price of $5 for a meal when a protein bar or similar item satisfies me. That saved me around $900 in just one year alone.

I still do the mental math of thinking how much I would have to work to pay for an item I want. Sometimes, that calculation is enought to deter me from buying the item. At other times, I am willing to work for it.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  It is mostly sunny and made it to the 60's today.  Pretty chilly this morning (30's), and that will be the case tomorrow.

Sounds like you got quite a bit done today.

Glad you worked today, Jean.  Is it possible to take lunch with you rather than a protein bar?  I used to carry my lunch almost every day when I worked, but I usually had a refrigerator to keep things cool.  Otherwise, I stuck with peanut butter and jelly, etc. rather than cheese or meat.  I pay $3 at the senior lunch program.  When DH was alive, I used to wait and eat when I got home, but now I usually have lunch there.  Normally, the lunch is well worth $3.

Like you I had lots of trouble sleeping last night.  I don't really know why, but I had aches that came and went, my leg was itching, and my mind was racing.  Oh well....

Have fun tomorrow.

That is an eye opener about how small amounts add up.  It is a very good idea to pay attention to those types of expenditures.

The senior lunch program went pretty well except more people came than signed up, so some who wanted the hot meal had salad instead.  My boss also was able to get an extra hot meal for one person.

When I went to the gym it was packed, but by the time I left I think it was only half full.  I never know what to expect.

The hospice patient I was supposed to visit on Friday has canceled.  Oh well......

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S.  I was shocked to get refunds from both the Federal and State government last year, but I'm not planning on that repeating itself.  Glad you got a refund this year, Jean.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I use things like protein bars for lunch simply because of the convenience and lack of need for refrigeration. They are more filling than peanut butter sandwiches. I usually only have 30 minutes for lunch, so if I had to refrigerate something or nuke it, I woiuld have to walk to either the office and that would take time. It is a habit I got into when working full time and I've never changed it

I'm glad the senior lunch program went well. People are sometimes unpredictable about if they want to eat and what. I've not worked in a situation like you are currently, but I once helped run state conferences and it was amazing to see how people changed their minds about banquet functions.

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - we are having "beautiful" winter days, sunny and mild.  But we need more rain.  We started off with a decent rainy season but not it's dried up.

My DH's doctor has not been able to schedule a surgery date for him because all of the surgical rooms are book for the month of February.  Pray that we don't have to wait another 1-2 months.  Time is of the essence.

This morning I did a load of laundry, then I went to the doctor for a quick visit, then I went grocery shopping, and dropped some books off at the used book store for some credit.  Not too exciting, but at least something got accomplished.

Waves to all  ~ Charlene

Honored Contributor

Charlene @cerb   I'll pray that somebody cancels and a room becomes available.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Charlene -- I certainly agree with Bernie.  I pray that your husband doesn't have to wait too long for his surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

The internet was down in our area all day until now. Usually, I just go on and do another thing on my list but I'm still having some problems with a few of my prescriptions. Yesterday I spent the afternoon on the phone with the pharmacist, my insurance provider and emailing back and forth with the nurse an RN at the doctor's office. It's still unresolved.. These are my core medications so it isn't one of those you can skip for awhile. 

I did cave and buy the TSV. I love Lock &Lock and find so many uses for it. I love the large sizes for storing pantry staples. The last big set I purchased I stored my laundry powders, etc. The laundry room seems to get so humid (even with a dehumidifier) that the soap powder was starting to clump. This solved my problem. (small fixes makes chores easier)

I see Garden specials on the horizon and am wondering how  I can improved the front garden by our porch. I'm a big fan of marble chips and containers .My hesitation is that t I've planted blulbs over the years out there and get some flowers to grow. I really don't want to dig that entire area up to start all over again. Decisions, decisions...LOL

It's overcast but still cool. We had some snow and ice this morning but it finally melted. Tomorrow I have to pick up one prescription so I'm crossing my fingers for no ice and some energy.  

It never ceases to amaze me how little bits of money add into a "sum". My mother used to collect all of her change and stash it in old cookie jars. It was amazing what she had saved. We save our coins and deposit it in our Christmas club. A buck is a buck is what I'm always saying to the kids. It adds up fast.

Hope everyone has a good afternoon/evening.