Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tues., August 27th)

Good Morning Woman Happy

It was cloudy when I awoke this morning and then we had a gentle rain for a few minutes.  The little bit of rain that we've had combined with the cooler temperatures for the past few days really helped the grass green up.  

I have no interest in today's nail care TSV or the upcoming Miz Mooz (boot) Big Deal on Q2.

I can't say that I'm feeling any urges to shop however fall fashion is coming and I am checking the new 'tall' arrivals at JCP often Woman Very Happy

Shout to Jean @KonaKat  this morning.  I hope you are feeling better.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Tues., August 27th)

@Bird mama   Hi Bernie!  It's also pretty gloomy here in NE Ohio.  We had some light rain last evening, but are expecting real rain by early evening today.  I'm really feeling fall is in the air lately (waaaaah).  I'm a summer girl through and through.  I get cold when it goes below 80!

I also am not really in the mood to shop today.  I don't like the idea of holes in my boots, and I'm very picky about my boots and shoes having comfort and support in the insoles.  I'm not interested in the Julep treatments either.  Besides, I just spent almost $3,000 on a molar implant (still need to get the crown), so I'm feeling quite poor right now.  No one ever warned me how expensive aging was going to be!

I'm wishing everyone a beautiful day!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  No TSV or upcoming Big Deal boots for me either.  Not Fall-like here in southern Arizona. Should make it up to 103 or so today, but perhaps will "only" be in the 90's on Thursday.  Like Laura, Jean, and some others, I much prefer hot weather to cold, but I wouldn't mind slightly cooler temperatures.  Before I go further, this is Jean's latest post --

"The Accident: Part 2 The Transfer to Camden Clark

Do you have an emergency or will you in the future? Consider my experience.

I would like to begin this with kudos for our local ambulance personnel but there is only so much that can be done with one ambulance.

I arrived at Minnie where I got excellent service and they started an IV because of the dehydration and high heart rate of 183 when my norm is mid 60's to low 70's. The doctor said I needed to be transferred because of the heart rate. I have AFib but it has been under control for over 4 years. Apparently the two days of no food or drink and dehydration had kicked it back into AFib of whi h there are 3 types.

This was around 11pm that the doctor said I needed to be transferred so the search for available ambulances. Once a medical procedure such as an IV with a heart control drug has been started, specific trained people must be with the ambulance.

A triage approach to ambulance service is used. I wasn"'t an emergency. Keep in mind that the local ambulance was on a run when 911 was called after the accident . However, it did shortly show up to transport me to Minnie.

We waited and waited while Minnie called surrounding counties for an ambulance. At 2am, I told my niece and friend to leave so my niece could return to Belmont and get ready for her job at Camden Clark which began at 7. At this point, it was hoped Camden Clark would send an ambulance.

Jusr after my niece and friend left, the ER people came in to tell me that Camden Clark couldn't make the run and that they had called surrounding counties with no one willing to send an ambulance.

My transfer would have to wait from lack of ambulance service but they would keep trying while I spent the night at Minnie. I had excellent care at Minnie. I just couldn't get an ambulance

My niece arrived at Camden Clark to work and found that I was not there. She called Minnie and was told a Camden ambulance was expected to make the transfer but had 4 prior obligations to satisfy.

At noon, a Camden Clark ambulance arrived after satisfying requests for others ahead of me. I basically spent 13 hours waiting for an ambulance. Had the IVs not been started, my niece could have taken me in her vehicle.

Does Calhoun need more ambulances? I shared this experience to show you that an ambulance is not always instant service. Do we want to live in a county where only one ambulance forces us to be dependent upon others? Can we get more ambulances for the local base? Those were very long 13 hours."

In a previous post, she said her heart rate is down from earlier, but still quite high for her.  I let her know that we are sending our best wishes and prayers

------------

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to my grief group yesterday.  While my car was fine in the morning, when I was trying to leave for the meeting, the car would not start.  I guess I could have walked, but it was in the mid 90's, plus I wanted to get the car taken care of.  My insurance  road side assistance service sent a tow truck, and the car started right up after a jump.  I went straight to an auto parts place, and got the only battery they had in stock that would fit my car.  I don't think batteries used to be that expensive, but.....  Anyway, the tow truck driver and the store clerk told me that batteries don't last long in this area -- as little as two years.  So, I guess that I was lucky to get longer than two years.  Also lucky that I was at home and not stranded someplace where I would have been waiting in the heat.

My DGD had purchased quite a few clothes from JCP, and over the weekend DD found some as well.  Of course, I thought of you, Bernie.  They both got wonderful deals.

Sorry about your dental expenses, Laura.  Not something I like to think about, but so far I have been pretty lucky with my teeth.

Happy to hear that Marijane likes her Cuddl Dud's cardigans.  Mine are still "in process", but I'm hoping for the best.

Today I have the senior lunch program and plan to go to the gym later in the day.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - bernie thanks for getting us started today.  A gentle rain sounds nice.  We haven't had rain in several months.  How are your feathered friends doing?  @2blonde having to spend big money on dental work is such a drag.  It's like paying someone to torture you.  But hopefully in the end, you have a tooth that works.  If I was living 100+ years ago, I'd be half toothless, so I remind myself that modern dentistry is good.  Speaking of which - I have a dental cleaning and check-up in about an hour.  Yuck.

Well, my sisters and I made it back from our cousin's funeral in Phoenix.  We all got along great and it was nice spending time with my remaining 2 cousins.  They're a bit of an "odd" lot, but I'm glad to still have them.

I didn't feel tired all weekend, and I got quite a bit accomplished yesterday, but then last night it hit me.  I'm tired.  One pleasant surprise was that my DH weeded the front flower bed for me, so that's one less chore I need to do.

Speaking of expenses - I think some time in the near future we might have to be replacing our washer and dryer, as well as get a new computer.  Those are purchases I don't want to have to make.  It should inspire me not to shop - but I find myself wanting to make "little" purchases, like books.  Sort-of like stress-eating, except it's stress-shopping.  But as we all know - little purchases add up to big dollar amounts when you make too many of them.

Waves to all ~ Charlene

Trusted Contributor

@LindaLatte oh my, Linda, what a story about the lack of ambulance services.  I am behind the times about an accident.  Was it an accident that you were in, and are you okay?  Best wishes!

Honored Contributor

Charlene @cerb   Jean hadn't posted for a couple of days on the daily thread and then on facebook posted a photo of herself bruised up in hospital.

Here's the first part of Jean's story (well it's in this thread).

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Fashion/Shopaholics-One-Day-at-a-Time-Sunday-August-25th/m-p/5672142#M6...

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum but I've enjoyed reading it for awhile.It's rainy and stormy all day and night here in PA. I have got to pick up prescriptions and some groceries today so I have my fingers crossed that the serious storms hold off until I return. I have GSD's and the one does not like storms.

I told myself before the last Countdown to Crhistmas that I was not going to purchase anything new until the end of the year.LOL I was probably setting too high a bar for myself but we'll see how I fare day by day.  We have a fence to put in for the dogs and various other large projects. For some reason this year our maintenace and home improvement list was longer and more expensive than the usual. I['m always in sticker shock no matter what it is.

I still have my DIY wallpaper removal project on going,. However, I did get the donation boxes out of the work room last week. I have invaced half of my husband's space because it's located in the middle of the lower level. I can pull all the extra items from the holiday storage and cedar closet and stack it in there for the donation drives. I've been trying to clear out more and more items because it's just the two of us now. I'd rather somebody else get use from some of these things.

I'll check back in tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

I've never been in an ambulance myself and the only time my Ma was in one was when she was being transferred from an acute care hospital to a long term acute care hospital (LTACH) to be weaned off of a ventilator. 

Given everything that went catastrophically wrong at that acute care hospital that landed my mother up on a ventilator in the first place, when she was being rolled out to the ambulance, I had a death grip on the gurney.  The transport guys said we have her and I said at this point I swear this hospital is trying to kill her so I will be hanging on to the gurney and if one person gets in our way - just keep going, I'll take care of it.

My sister road in the ambulance because I said so and I had the front bumper of my Camaro practically on the rear bumper of the ambulance for the whole trip.  I am not kidding.

Having enough ambulances to serve a community is critical.

Even though I don't believe in reincarnation, I've often joked that I lived a life before as an ambulance driver.  Twice in my life I drove a critically ill family member to the hospital of their choice versus calling for an ambulance that would have taken forever to come.

The first time was my aunt who was having serious cardiac issues.

The second time was my sister who had a lung collapse.

I have to say - the hand of God was on me both times.  Both times I had the person buckled in for safety and gently suggested they recline and close their eyes and just breathe and remain calm.

I didn't need them to see me blowing stop signs and traffic lights.  Once I hit the gas I didn't stop until we hit the ER door opening.

Honored Contributor

Welcome @Fressa 

Respected Contributor

@cerb   Charlene, I understand about making the little purchases.  Sometimes it's just fun to get something new, isn't it?  My problem with that philosophy is that I get the most "fun" from buying new gemstone jewelry.  It's not the cheapest way to shop, and I could probably open my own jewelry store now!

Laura loves cats!