Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Thursday, March 5th)

[ Edited ]

Good Morning all, after two days of gloomy skies the sun is shining brightly in my little part of the world.  The sheets that I ordered from Target on Sunday arrived yesterday.  I think I'm used to a blend of cotton and polyester more like perma press.  I washed both sets of sheets and their coordinating pillow cases last night.  I was really careful and didn't cram the dryer with linens.  I did one fitted sheet, then one flat sheet and then the pillow cases (took forever).  100% cotton comes out wrinkly Woman Indifferent

I remembered the days of my Ma ironing sheets and pillowcases and said to myself - no way.  Maybe the more I wash them, the better it will get (I can only hope).

That's my excitement - what is good in your world?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Thursday, March 5th)

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  It is sunny here as well, and it should make it up to the mid 70's today.  

I know what you mean about the sheets.  I guess I had been used to those types of polyester/cotton blend sheets, and when everyone started talking about high thread count cotton, I purchased some.  I was pretty shocked at the wrinkles.  Since then, I try to find sheets that are wrinkle resistant (even if all cotton).  Often, they are not the high tread count type.  Even so, I do iron my pillowcases.  Like your Mom, I had ironed all my sheets and pillowcases in the long past, but got spoiled in time.

Hope Jean is doing okay.  I saw on FB that she only got a little more than an hours sleep last night, but is working today.  Very happy you found your battery charger, twinny.  I am praying for Marian.  Hope Charlene's husband is doing okay.

My DH's son really stepped up to the plate to try and handle these tax forms, but so far, he has not been successful in getting things resolved.  He did confirm with the broker that the assets had been transferred out of the estate account in 2018.  But, the companies involved are still giving him trouble.  Hopefully, everything will be resolved soon.  Meanwhile, my State tax refund was deposited into my account today.  Fast work.

I have an early Caregivers lunch today, and then I will attend the meeting and possibly coffee after the meeting.  I made some banana bread that I will give to Adult Day Care this time.  They are good people and provide a wonderful service.  I do hope to make it to the gym this afternoon. 

Not sure if I mentioned it here, but I saw Larry (the one who is having an operation today and some have on your prayer list) at the gym on Tuesday.  I told him that we were praying for him, and he smiled and asked for a hug.  Really made me feel good that I said something despite being concerned about his reaction to prayer.  

One of my bookclub member's Mother passed away yesterday morning -- she was 104 years old!  I know her health was not great, but that is an amazing run.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

@Bird mama   It's sunny here today too!  (Wet snow coming tomorrow, though)  I'm in a quandry about sheets.  I ordered some 100% polyester ones a couple months ago.  I've been using them, but I never realized how warm they are (and these are very thin sheets)!  They've been fine for the winter, but I definitely will have to switch for the spring and summer.  I think I'll drag out my old ones that are a blend because they didn't wrinkle and weren't hot.  I see that cotton has gotten much more expensive now, so I imagine I can't buy any really nice ones cheap, like the poly ones were!

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone, I'm glad that Bernie asked what is good in our world.  Yesterday my DH had his catheter removed and we got the pathology report.  The only piece of bad news was that the cancer had spread slightly outside of the prostate.  The very good news is that the margins were clear and the lymph nodes didn't show signs of cancer.  The doctor said that was excellent news considering that his cancer was rated 7 and 8 on a 1 to 10 scale.  We're grateful.  Lots of follow up PSA tests in my DH's future that we hope will show no sign of cancer returning, and we're hoping for eventual healing of side-effects.

Thank you so much for the well wishes and prayers.  (((hugs))) to all.  ~ Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

The sun is out. It's cool and the mud is semi frozen. Fingers crossed that it will stay in that state. We are due for colder temps and snow in the next two days so I have my fingers crossed that happens. If not, then it's bath time for the dogs. (Always have a "plan B"..LOL)

I did manage to get the banking and grocery shopping accomplished yesterday and earlier than usual. Now, I'm kicking myself that I didn't get out of line to get the Lysol wipes that I saw on the end cap. The lines for regualr pay are alwys so few and so long that I just hesitate.

I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. Thor was alerting to something but I could not see it. By the time I get the flood lights on the "whatever" could be in the woods or at the other part of the house or yard. I keep thinking about running the flood lights again to deter "whatever". I was up 3 times with him so it was very odd. He only reacts to cyotes or a rabib animal. If it were a hunter or whatever, then he would be gtrowling and at the nearest door. I have good solar lights that throw a huge light but whatever it is seems to be adjusted  to those. I do have led bulbs in the flood lights so I guess we'll run those and see if that handles it. 

Today, I was going to decorate for Easter but I think I'll put that on hold for a few days. It's Dyson time in the lower level and some check writing. I have some misc. paperwork to sort thru so that may be on my list. I hope I can have an errand day tomorrow. I really want to check out the closing sale at the Pier 1. They have some dishes that match the blue floral lace (Temptations). All the dinner plates crazed and chipped but the salad plates and bowls are fine. If not, then my budget will thank me. 

Hope everyone has a good afternoon/evening

Honored Contributor

Hi Linda @LindaLatte  I think I might break down and iron the pillow cases, lol.  I think it's appropriate that one of the kids handles the tax form concern.  It's lovely that you are sharing banana bread with the Adult Day Care group.  My goodness 104 years is quite long life.

Honored Contributor

It's a nightmare finding halfway decent perma press or percale blend sheets @2blonde   The price they charge for pillowcases should be against the law.  I bought 400 TC cotton sheet sets for my daybed on sale for $22.  The set came with a fitted, flat and one pillowcase.  I wanted extra pillowcases for each color and paid $28 for a set of 2 pillowcases in each color.

Honored Contributor

Charlene @cerb   Your news has officially made my week Heart  I continue to pray for your beloved and the rest of your family as he heals and recovers from the surgery.

Honored Contributor

Hi Fressa @Fressa  I remember dreading Spring and the thawing sloppy backyard.  Glad yours is still semi frozen.  I hope that you are able to make a run to Pier One while the getting's good.

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, after having a nice a sunny week, it's cloudy today, but still mild. We are supposed to be in the 50's all weekend.  I like 60% cotton and 40% poly for sheets.  They dry quickly and easily for me. Yes, 100% have been awful for me.

Linda L, It's good that your dh's ds is dealing with the tax problem.  Not an enjoyable experience for sure.  We like banana bread too and it's so easy to make.  My prayers are going out to Larry.  

2blonde, we had 100% polyester sheets once & that was one time too many.  I didn't even like them in the wintertime.  They were unbearable hot for me.

CERB, that's great news about the catheter being removed.  Hugs and prayers that the healing can now begin.

Fressa, It's been sunny and 40's all week and it actually feels like April without the mud.  It sounds like you have been working on a lot of different things.  I plan to decorate for Easter right after St. Paddys Day is over.  I only have a shamrock on the inside of our two front doors.