Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Thursday, Feb. 2nd)

Good Morning all,

I continue to include Declan, Jean, Larry and anyone else who asks for prayers in my prayers. 

So Punxsutawney Phil says 6 more weeks of winter.  Chuck the groundhog from State Island says early spring.  Fred the groundhog from Quebec died unexpectedly so that was the announcement at their gathering this morning.  That pretty much covers the gamut of groundhog forecasting so make of it what you will Woman Very Happy

January certainly flew by like a shot didn't it.  We're on our third consecutive day of sunshine here in SE Michigan and the QVC garden shows are making me excited about spring.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Thursday, Feb. 2nd)

Birdmama----All those ground hogs and it's still a role of the dice with the winter predictions. I still think my "knee" forecast is more liable than their shadows.LOL It's nice for those towns that they have a celebration and help the businesses.

I get all excited about Garden Day to see what's new and get ideas. I'm only replacing two garden plants and trying to not purchase anything else. I have one planter in the garage "just in case" . I did place an order with the "$15 catalouge for some leaf style blue tiny led lights. I put them in planters where nothing will grow. My goal this garden season is downsizing the two gardens in the front. It's just too difficult to maintain . I'm going to let the holly have the side hill and forget about adding any more lillies over there. The deer actually walk down the steps and inbetween the fence panels to munch on them. I could not believe my eyes. 

January went too fast. I'm in the middle of the taxes so I hope I can have that handled by Monday. Crossing my fingers on that task.

Have a good afternoon/evening.  

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, Jimmy the Ground Hog  in Sun Prairie says 6 more weeks of winter.  After two weeks of cloudy weather, I am enjoying sunshine and cold weather.  It is milder today, tomorrow will be very cold and then we are supposed to get at least a week or so of above average temps.  Yes, January was here and gone in the blink of an eye.

My leg wasn't too bad this morning until we went to the grocery store.  It hurt like crazy when we got home so I called my rheumatologist.  Still waiting for them to call back.

We are heading out to the senior center at 1:00 to see Ground Hog Day which we haven't seen. Then out for dinner.

Thanks for your prayers for Declan.  

Nothing exciting around here.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Fressa, our meteorologist said that the Ground Hog is only right 31% of the time.  I turned on the TV this morning and it was all gardening.  Other than a few tomato plants🍅 and maybe a few flowers from our Garden Shop, I am all done.  I have never liked  gardening.  My outdoors  enjoyment is reading on my front porch in the shade and going on a beach vacation looking for shade there too.  LOL.  I am not a sunshine girl in the summertime.    

Glenda

Honored Contributor

According to Woody at the Howell MI nature center, it's early spring.

Woody the Woodchuck predicts an early spring at Howell Nature Center on Thursday, Feb. 2 2023.

Of course, there has to be one-upmanship.  According the folks in Michigan who track this, Phil's accurace rate is 38% while our Woody's accuracy rate is 67%  Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Good evening ladies, hope all is well.

Bernie - Thank you for starting us today.  Gobblers Knob (were Phil lives) is an hour and half from me.  I have never gone to Punxsutaweny to see Phil.  Just too cold and too many people there.  It is a little town that 10,000 people decend on for one or two days.  I am just too old for that.  

January sure did fly by, I guess I need to make a list and take advantage of February.  I am ready for Spring and must get my list of flowers I want to plant ready.  We took out the bushes by the garage and going to plant flowers there.  Sad part is, it is on the side of the house I rarely go on.  

Fressa - I like your "knee forecast".  Good luck with the taxes and hope you have everything for Monday.

Twinny - We had a small garden at our other house, we are going to try some container gardening this year.  We love fresh tomatoes and peppers, wish us luck on this.

I am sitting here procrastinating on writing up a grocery list.  We really don't need much, I need to start using up what I have in the freezer and pantry.  I think I have some funky dinners coming up.

Not much going on here tonight, hope everyone has a great evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan  I have always wanted to go through Punxsutawney as we were near it on our many trips to MA.  My dh was interested in getting back home.  I like to drive as I make it interesting & stop whenever I want to. Good luck with your garden plans.

My right leg has been very sore so I left a message with my rheumatologist at 10:00 this morning.  He is very busy, but his nurse called me at 4:10 this afternoon & said that he is out of the office tomorrow and all next week.  She called me again at 4:50 & said it might be sciatica and I should call my GP tomorrow.  She said my gp might order an MRI to see what's going on.  Then when my rheumatologist gets back he can decide what he wants to do.  Sounds like a good plan for me.

Our dinner  out was nice even if I had to hobble in & out of the restaurant.  

It's going to be a lazy time for me until I get some relief from the pain.  It's a lot worse than labor pains.  🤔😑.

I forgot to mention that I bought a diamonique cushion cut ring yesterday.  I got an email from the Q about the ring last night.  It's a lot like the diamonique ring I bought almost 7  years when my Mom passed away.  It was on sale for $28.47 from $53.50 & free shipping.  My other D  ring has gotten many compliments, but I lost a small side stone last year, had it replaced by the Q, but it came out a couple of months ago.     I wear my two platinum diamond and ruby rings,  but not in the wintertime.   Too easy to lose them or have a stone stuck in my gloves.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Hope everyone has nice spring weather this year. 

We are expecting very good weather this weekend (by my standards) -- sunny and in the 70's.  I'm particularly happy that the weather is turning warmer since the gas company just sent an email saying that they were approved for considerably higher rates, and I think that will probably be reflected in my next bill.  The last one was an all-time high, so not good.

I used to enjoy gardening when I lived in Maryland, but I find it much more difficult here with such very hot summers.  Plus trying to use as little water as possible since it is a dry area.  Hope all of you find plants that grow well.  I really love home grown tomatoes, plus flowers, etc., and holly bushes have a special place in my heart.  My parents planted a holly bush when I was young and told me it was mine.

Good luck with your taxes, Fressa.  I got another form today, but probably won't get all of them until the end of the month.

Sorry to hear about your leg pain, Glenda.  Hope you can get some relief. Your new ring sounds lovely.

I laugh at some of my dinner combinations, Susan.  Funky is one way to put it.  Like you, I want to use up what I have as much as possible.

Today was busy -- grocery store(s), hospice deliveries, gym, and then helping assemble some "swag bags" for hospice. 

Jean made it home, but is very tired.  

My second DGS closed on the house this afternoon.  Can't wait to hear from him.  

Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

twinny70---I took a  chance and ordered the heirloom tomatoes.  I had luck with them a few years ago and since I have 4 veggie containers I thought I would just focus on the tomatoes and not add peppers or strawberries into the mix. I'm really trying to scale it back a bit so I can keep up a bit better. LOL  

Esteemed Contributor

PALady---After all these years of trying to have gardens I have had the best luck with the container style. I also llike to put a birdbath or solar statue nearby to use some space. Good luck with your plants.