Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Thurs., Nov 7th)

[ Edited ]

Good Afternoon, I probably should have started this post an hour ago when I was feeling more light hearted Woman Happy 

I guess this could be considered shopping... I found a 50% coupon for an oil change on my dealership's website so I printed one off for me and one for my sister since I don't think she checks their site for specials.  I'm due for an oil change this month and made an appointment for this coming Monday morning.

I filled up the car's gas tank then did the grocery shopping.  The local Boy Scout troop is having a food drive Saturday so I had fun selecting groceries for that.  It's been a long time since I had to go through the cashier's line because of the number of items in my cart.  I bought a money order on the way out to support the Capuchin Soup Kitchen in Detroit since they sent an appeal to my house.

The Boy Scout troop is collecting cans and bottles to make money for a new camper or something camping related Woman Very Happy  It took me over a year to accumulate 44 Canada Dry gingerale cans and they are welcome to take them.

In general I was having a positive day....... until I stumbled across a news item online.

I've talked about my relationship with Kmart before.  In Sept. the Detroit News and Free Press reported that 8 of the 11 Kmart stores in Michigan were closing.  The only Kmart close to me, the one that I visit with regularity was among the 3 being left open.

Those dirty rats slipped in an announcement before Halloween that corporate decided to close my store.  I know this isn't a nice thing to think or say however I'm so hurt right now I'd wish I could throw a curse (nothing that would kill him) on Eddie Lampert - the guy who ruined Sears and Kmart.  I guess I have to leave it to the teacher - Karma.

I know lots of people gave up on Kmart and Sears years ago.  For me, there are lots of memories of my grandmothers, mom and aunts that kept my dedication to Kmart going strong.  It's like another part of my past is evaporating before my eyes and yes I

Image result for lady crying gif

Cheer me up and tell me what's good in your world Woman Happy

P.S.  We got snow this morning.  It clung to the trees and the grass. Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Thurs., Nov 7th)

I know how you feel, we lost our KMart about a year ago, and there was much I liked about the store.  I don't have much going on , but tomorrow some friends and I are going to my favorite church bazaar. These ladies have the best crafts and baked goods, and when you walk in you can smell the soup they are making for lunch, it's heavenly.  One of the ladies makes catnip mice with her own home grown catnip, and all of the cats I know get them for Christmas.  Not exciting, put a pleasant experience every year. 😻

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

That sounds like a fun day @QVCkitty1 

I plan on going to Kmart tomorrow Woman Very Happy  I'm not one of those people who waits until the prices are rock bottom.  I need to go while the store still looks like the store.

My original Kmart was the same place where my husband like to have his pharmacy filled.  That pharmacist was so kind and explained everything to me when my husband was diagnosed with cancer.  When my husband died and I visited the Kmart to tell the pharmacist, the pharmacist and I cried together.  That was a popular store.  It ended up being closed because the guy who owned the property that the store was on wanted a 5 year lease renewal and at the time Kmart could only commit to 3 years.

When I saw they were closing, me and the associates in the fashion area cried together.  I made the mistake of going when it was bare bones.  I walked it, made it maybe 60 feet and ran out crying Woman LOL

I'm a mess and I know it.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

That sounds like a fun day @QVCkitty1 

I plan on going to Kmart tomorrow Woman Very Happy  I'm not one of those people who waits until the prices are rock bottom.  I need to go while the store still looks like the store.

My original Kmart was the same place where my husband like to have his pharmacy filled.  That pharmacist was so kind and explained everything to me when my husband was diagnosed with cancer.  When my husband died and I visited the Kmart to tell the pharmacist, the pharmacist and I cried together.  That was a popular store.  It ended up being closed because the guy who owned the property that the store was on wanted a 5 year lease renewal and at the time Kmart could only commit to 3 years.

When I saw they were closing, me and the associates in the fashion area cried together.  I made the mistake of going when it was bare bones.  I walked it, made it maybe 60 feet and ran out crying Woman LOL

I'm a mess and I know it.

@Bird mama , Wnen our Kmart closed, my small ares was pretty much left with Walmart, and that was depressing.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

I'm sorry to hear about the KMart closings. Mine closed in the very beginning and I miss the pharmacist to this day. She was studying to be a doctor hlaf the week and the half she was one of the pharmacists. You could get an answer to your question and she knew about a possible drug interaction before I had to research it on line. Now...I use the Giant Eagle pharmacy which is okay but no one can tell me why my prescription pricesvvary month to month. I frankly don't see some of these changes as progress considering they funnel us all into some "mega store". I don't like it at all.

I thought today I would stay in instead of doing more errands. At the last minute I ran to the bank. I did make it through all my banking, bills and misc. stack of stuff and doctor receipts so I'm not cranky now. I hate when that paper piles up on my desk. It reminds me of my office days. LOL

My L&L tall canisters arrived today so they are drying. I will finally have tall enough containers to store pasta, pop tarts and crackers in my pantry. I had all these varied sizes and it worked but I wanted to tweak it a bit so I could just see at glance how much bow tie pasta I had left. This is why I have "mixed up" pasta night. LOL I like being organized or just those simple things that save you a few minutes of time. That's my "mission" this year is to streamline my supplies of everything. It's just so much easier when you're trying to find something in the middle of a project or decide if you should take advantage of stock up sale.

We have rain today with cool temps which is to convert to snow. Tomorrow I paln to get some domestic chores checked off my list. If the weather reverses course then I might try to get some lab work done.  Always have a "plan b" is my method. 

Hope everyone has a good evening. 

Esteemed Contributor

K-Marts in our state varied in quality, variety of items, service, etc. Most were closed in the first round. The one I really liked is in the process of closing.  The K-Mart building near the mall in the nearby city was redone and is now home to Hobby Lobby.

I worked today despite not feeling the best, and the rain is not helping. I have a heating pad on my back now. The weather report just mentioned the possiblity of snow next week which is early for us. I want Spring and Daylght Savings Time to return. I don't like the darkness happening so soon ater I get out of work. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

I was so caught up in my Kmart closing that I forgot to mention that it snowed this morning.  Woman Very Happy  It clung to the trees, shrubs and grass until the sun came out in the afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Sorry about your K-Mart closing.  While I really haven't been to K-Mart often, there are none around here to close.  I do understand the attachment to a store(s) and the feeling of sadness when they close.  Hope your snow doesn't cause any problems.

Enjoy the lunch tomorrow indoor kitty.

Your plans for organizing sound good, Fressa.  I can certainly relate to the pasta issue.  Hope your weather is okay tomorrow.

Sorry you aren't feeling well, Jean. Hope you don't get early snow, or any snow that is a problem.

Today was a "Caregivers" day -- lunch and meeting.  No one wanted to go for coffee after, so I made it to the gym.  I see some people there fairly often, and it is nice to have our banter.  

I was going back and forth over my England/Scotland trip, and decided to take the plunge this morning.  It is more than I want to spend, especially since I am planning the Utah trip in the Fall, but I decided it was a priority to travel while I am still able to do so.  I may not save as much as I would like this year, but hopefully won't need to take money out of savings.  We will see.  I will be going from DC to England at the end of May and come back in June (9 days, I think).  My idea is to fly into DC the day before and spend the night near the airport.  When I come back, DD can pick me up, and I'll stay at a hotel near their house for a few days before returning to Arizona.  Fingers crossed this all works out, and I love the trip.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Sleep well everyone.

Hugs,

Linda