Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Thurs., March 26th)

[ Edited ]

Good Morning all, the sun is trying to shine brightly in my part of the country and the clouds keep getting in its way Woman Happy

I stimulated the economy a little more yesterday Woman Very Happy when I placed an order with my store (JCP).  I have to support my store in these turbulent times as they were having a hard time before the virus reached our shores.

I didn't buy anything terribly exciting, just some staples at a pretty good price. 

Some of my favorite St John's Bay brand short sleeved tee ($5.59 a piece which is good, usually around the $18 or $19 mark)

I can never have enough tees in white (short/ 3/4 and long sleeve) according to my "middle child" Presto who isn't crazy about color.

This top was $6.29 compared to $19

Another pair of my live in and couldn't do without athletic pants in the Presto approved shade of gray Woman Wink  

$13.29 a pair and normally $39

I've been looking at this purse for awhile.  I'm not against "faux leather" or "vegan, lol" purses.  Let's call it for what it is - PVC.  

If ever there was a purse that is blatantly PVC, it's the one I ordered.  Y'all know that I have a connection with K-mart.  I think it's these uncertain times, this purse reminded me of something I would find at K-mart and I needed to have that nostalgic feeling.

Oddly enough, it was the most expensive Woman Embarassed  

Someone one was having an episode when they suggested a retail price of $70.  I paid $34.29

I think I worked out all of my shopping demons now.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Thurs., March 26th)

Hi Everyone!

Birdmama:---Great finds at JCP!!!  Don't you just love a great deal? So wise to restock now and not kick  yourself later that you limited yourself. Enjoy your finds. I always liked St,.John's Bay brand when I went to the mall. Good brand, washed well and lasts.

It's finally sunny today and people are out in their yards. I'm not up for that today but may continue with the cleaning "thing". At some point this week I may try to put out a few more Spring items. The birds have been picking the eggs off my front door wreath and it's starting to look pretty sad. LOL I'm hoping I have a back up one in storage. I haven't checked to see if they have a nest in this one but I'm thinking "no". I haven't heard any noise on the front door but the umbrella planter is always their first choice. ha ha!!!

I see more shoots in the front garden. So far I have the potential of a few tulips and hyachinhts. I haven't been outside to the garage garden. I'm hoping I have a few hosta trying to grow. I might venture outside over the weekend. I have the solar lights to switch around the place. I finally purchased one more set of the lights that I bought last year. They light up a nice spread of light so I can see and seems to deter critters. I really wanted all the lights in the front to be the same. I had some other ones lighting the gardens on each corner of the house. Those are going around the entire back and the new ones in the front. That's the plan. I'll have extra lighting back there until I can get the fence extended but that's not an issue.

I have some "thing" that is pushing the arbor gate open to get at the hedges back there. I've been running the flood lights at night so it's kept the other critters back in the woods. The dogs haven't alerted so that's a good thing. This must be one of the larger doe. I'm not sure if heavy winds could blow open that latch or not. Oh well, as long as the dogs don't alert then I'm good. My home securitysystem is GSD x2. Needs no plan, batteries or phone system......just chow and biscuits.

We've seen more neighbors taking walks to get out a bit. I know our numbers spiked but they were predicting this week would be the "bad" week. I'm thinking that I'll have my dil do my grocery shopping since she's been offering so much. I'll still pick up my prescriptions because that can get somplicated. I'm in that high risk category and am thinking that I should be a little more cautious  I like to be self reliant . My friend used that pick up grocery option at her market and was very pleased with it. Not sure how much to worry about this or not.

Stay safe and comfy. Hope everyone has a good afternoon/evening.  

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  You certainly got some good buys at JCP.  When we first moved here, I bought several of the St. John's Bay tops -- shirts, sweaters, etc., and really enjoyed them.  JCP is the closest "regular" type department store to the house (about 18 miles away), but I have not been there for at least a year.  Between Wal Mart and now three "discount" stores (Ross, TJ Maxx, and Beall's), I have been able to keep up with my very casual wardrobe needs.  And, I have quite an abundance of clothes and shoes at the moment (between here and Amazon).  Maybe someday I will get back there.

That is a cute purse by the way.  I have plenty of those as well. Trying to restrain buying until there is a need.

Hi Fressa.  I know some people hate going to the grocery store, and others are perfectly happy to have things delivered or picked up by someone else.  But, I am not part of that "tribe" as DH used to say.  I am trying to avoid shopping more than once a week since the stores have gone from being an enjoyable place to discover produce, etc., to a battleground.  Someone on our on-line bulletin board said that a favorite associate who is wheelchair bound told her that when she told a customer (older man) that he was limited to one case of bottled water he literally threw a case of water at her, and she was still sore from the experience.  Yikes!

Sorry about your wreath being attacked. Hope you can get things done around the house and outdoors when you are up to doing so.

I was feeling guilty getting the lunches from the senior lunch program since I still have food in the house, so they took me off the list for next week.  They assured me that I can get back on for the following week if I need to do so. 

Yesterday, I went to my first "Zoom" meeting -- it was for OLLI, and I found it quite interesting.  They said that they may have on-line classes for June.  Usually, we have classes in June, but they don't think that will happen this year.  We have never had on-line classes before, but I think it would be interesting.  Not a substitute for in person classes, but better than nothing.

DD does a lot of laundry for her family (at least a couple of loads per day), and found that her washer was making a horrible noise.  Long story short, the repairman came today, and it is the transmission -- not covered by the warranty like the motor.  The cost for parts and service is $575.00.  Wow!  He won't be back until Monday, and I'm sure she will have a huge stack of laundry to do.

Youngest DGS is better, but he is working from home now since he has very bad allergies and asthma.  So, only the middle guy is working outside the house.  He is very unhappy since he needs to let people go (he is head of human resources).  I don't think he realized that was part of his job, and he is a big "people person" who is taking it hard.

It is cloudy and cooler (high in the 60's compared to the 80's) yesterday.  My only planned outside activity is to take a walk.  My neighbors are definitely practicing social distancing on their walks.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has an okay or better day.

Hugs,

Linda 

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, our sun kept trying to come out yesterday, but the stubborn clouds took over.   Very nice pieces from JCP. I have a few St. John's Bay things that I like.  The athl pants look so comfy.  They are my go to when we are traveling in cooler weather or at a State/Nat'l Park.  I used to have a very similar purse that I took on many trips.  It had a lot of nice sized pockets.

Fressa, my DH has been taking a walk every day since our gym is closed & he said that he sees lots of walkers, bikers and robin's.  I saw my first robin a few days ago.  We have tulips, day lilies and I can't remember what the other thing is coming up nicely.  Sorry that your wreath is missing some eggs.  I am careful where I go too, but had to go to the grocery stores earlier this morning.

Linda L, no guilt for you getting a few meals. It saves you from making extra trips to the grocery store. It's too bad that your dd needs a washer repair & her laundry will be building up.  It's too bad about your eldest dgs having to let people go.  I am glad that your youngest dgs is feeling better.  How awful for the wheel chair bound associate getting a pkg of water thrown at her.

Esteemed Contributor

It's a cloudy, but mild day.

We are going to soon see the "light at the end of the tunnel" with our spring cleaning job.  We finished the family room and closet that goes under the stairwell this morning.  

Tomorrow morning we are going to pick up my dh's new eye glasses.  We were going to stop in to see his mom, but she isn't comfortable with that idea & we are trying to take care of ourselves too.

We went to 3 grocery stores this morning and were out & back home in 45 minutes.  There were only a handful of people in all of them.  We took all of the necessary procedures, so that's all that we can do right now.  

We were able to get tp in the last store and everything on our list.  I don't think that we have to go out for two weeks other than to a few drive thru restaurants.  

it's supposed to be in the 60's most of next week and 🌞🌞🌞.  I will be hanging out laundr, riding my moped & enjoying a good book while on our front porch glider.

Lunch was blt's & supper is the chop suey that I made a couple of days ago.

My DH just woke up from his nap,  so it's hot tub time.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. Good idea to pick up staples for your wardrobe and support your favorite retailer. I like that handbag.

I'm not in a posting mood right now. I do like the TSV and missed out on getting it last year. I decided to give it some thought and decided I had done without it and with the current situation, there was no need to buy it. I did get an email that my Denim & Co. jacket inthe  stone color had shipped. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm having a heck of a time posting this.  I received the home reflections boxes that I ordered last week.  I knew they were shabby chic when I ordered them.  I also figured I'd paint them and add some color to the scroll detail on the lids.  They need something, lol.  

Guess I'll have to venture over to home depot one of these days to check out paint chips.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise