Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Thurs., April 4th)

Hello, hello and how is everyone? 

My dental appointment went off without a hitch this morning.  The 'low fuel' warning light popped on the dash so I filled my gas tank on the way home.  It looks like it comes on when I hit 70 miles left worth of gas (another cool feature on this car that is a first for me).  Considering I last filled the gas tank at the end of January, it was time Woman Very Happy  I putter around locally so it takes a long time for me to run through gasoline.  

I'm still doing well resisting big time shopping.  I pay off the converta a bench and dooney and bourke bag this month and am determined to not buy anything until those items are paid off.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Thurs., April 4th)

Bird Mama, I am glad that your appointment went well. The Subaru is our first vehicle that has a mileage feature too & it's a good feature for us.  My DH presses his luck and I tell him that if he runs out, he is going to be doing the walking.  We also have a USB for my electronic toys.  We are getting older and wiser.

It's been an emotional week for me.  Two State Troopers in  our area were killed last weekend.  One was born in our hometown & was hit by a semi while she was investigating another semi.  The other Trooper was killed by a drunk driver going the wrong way on a 4 lane Hwy.  

We have been waiting for the UW Clinic to call us about my dh's appointment.  They called this morning and he has an appointment on June 18th.  We are still waiting for the results of the Holter Monitor.  I will call them on Monday if we don't hear tomorrow.

I just got an email from my sil saying that my dh's mom fell on Tuesday.  She was out voting & enjoying the nice weather.  When she got to her apt she lost her balance,  fell & hit her head.  My DH's brother took her to the ER to have her checked over.  Her head & ribs are ok. She didn't have her phone or cane with her.  We are hoping that she might start to use them in the future.

Gotta go the phone is ringing.

Esteemed Contributor

The phone call was CVS pharmacy & I needed to  order one of my 3 months meds.  I love the 3 months feature.  They are very fast in getting my meds here.  We stopped at Walgreen's this morning and there is a shortage for the Shingles vaccine so that won't be happening for quite a while.  Then we had lunch at Culver's.  Tomorrow is our grocery shopping day.  Exciting I know.

The bright side this week was getting a card from one of our banks telling us that we had a CD coming due April 18th that we didn't know that we had.  Apparently we opened it up 6 years ago and when the 3 years was up, we took 1/2 out & renewed the other half. That was better than winning a lottery because it didn't cost us anything.  Somebody in our State won a HUGE lottery last Wednesday.  So far I don't think that they have come forward.

It's been a very nice week of weather, but it's a cloudy cold day today with a chance for rain.  It's supposed to be in the 60's by Saturday.  I will be doing a lot of laundry.

My DH is grilling pork chops on the grill for supper.  I am cooking cauliflower instead of a potato.

Hugs to all of you.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Glad your dental visit went fine, and you were able to get gasoline in plenty of time.  I think some of the newer features on cars are pretty neat.  But, I'm not ready to replace my car at this time.

Sad news about those troopers, twinny.  Glad you are getting some of your prescriptions for three months.  I have not been able to get the new shingles vaccine either -- I started asking last Fall.  Just got a notice that I need to get pre-approval for my Prolia shot again, and they need plenty of notice.  The doctor's office needs to call, and I know it is difficult to get them to do so.  I may try taking the letter up to them in person to see if it helps.

I hate waiting for information about test results -- hope your DH hears something soon.

Today was "Caregiver" day with lunch and meeting after lunch.  Most of the ladies who go to lunch are widows, and do not go to the meetings after lunch.  I may discontinue going to the meetings myself -- probably not this month, but.....   We discussed many issues with credit cards, utility bills, etc. when those are either in only your spouse's name or both names when your spouse has dementia or other issues or dies.  Many many problems can arise, and we decided it is probably best to get things done as early as possible -- like getting your name on the accounts and making sure you can do things without having your spouse confirm it.  I had some of these problems myself, and it can really complicate life.

My SIL sent an e-mail saying things are not going at all well with her living arrangements (she moved in with her "boyfriend"), and she is starting to think she made a big mistake.  I feared things might not go all that well (long story), but I am very sorry that I was correct.  She does love her new job, but it is only part-time, and she certainly could not support herself on what she makes.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.  

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. Jean was in San Francisco  this morning, so I guess she may get home late tonight or tomorrow.  Glad she had such a nice trip.

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaLatte wrote:

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Glad your dental visit went fine, and you were able to get gasoline in plenty of time.  I think some of the newer features on cars are pretty neat.  But, I'm not ready to replace my car at this time.

Sad news about those troopers, twinny.  Glad you are getting some of your prescriptions for three months.  I have not been able to get the new shingles vaccine either -- I started asking last Fall.  Just got a notice that I need to get pre-approval for my Prolia shot again, and they need plenty of notice.  The doctor's office needs to call, and I know it is difficult to get them to do so.  I may try taking the letter up to them in person to see if it helps.

I hate waiting for information about test results -- hope your DH hears something soon.

Today was "Caregiver" day with lunch and meeting after lunch.  Most of the ladies who go to lunch are widows, and do not go to the meetings after lunch.  I may discontinue going to the meetings myself -- probably not this month, but.....   We discussed many issues with credit cards, utility bills, etc. when those are either in only your spouse's name or both names when your spouse has dementia or other issues or dies.  Many many problems can arise, and we decided it is probably best to get things done as early as possible -- like getting your name on the accounts and making sure you can do things without having your spouse confirm it.  I had some of these problems myself, and it can really complicate life.

My SIL sent an e-mail saying things are not going at all well with her living arrangements (she moved in with her "boyfriend"), and she is starting to think she made a big mistake.  I feared things might not go all that well (long story), but I am very sorry that I was correct.  She does love her new job, but it is only part-time, and she certainly could not support herself on what she makes.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.  

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. Jean was in San Francisco  this morning, so I guess she may get home late tonight or tomorrow.  Glad she had such a nice trip.

Esteemed Contributor

@twinny70 wrote:

@LindaLatte wrote:

Hugs,

Linda

Linda L, it makes me wonder why different RX 's & shots are so hard to get.  At the cost of them they should be plentiful.  I know that when my mom passed away, I never stepped foot in her facility again and it was a nice place.  Going out for lunch with her caretakers  would have been fine for me though.  We still see some of her caretakers at different restaurants and have a nice visit with them.  It's too bad about your sil.  Hopefully things will work out for her.  I am glad that we had our Will updated a few weeks ago.  I didn't want our DD to go through what I did with my mom's estate.  I think that my dh's mom has all of her "ducks in a row."

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry if I was unclear/confusing, twinny.  The "Caregivers" I met with today are ladies (some men, but not today) who have been caregivers for their spouse and/or parent(s).  I have not been back to DH's facility or met with his caregivers for many months.  I know others have done so, but I am just not ready.  

I'm trying to do the same as you with making sure DD doesn't have to deal with a big mess when I pass.  There are lots of things to consider.  Glad you "found" money -- that is neat.