Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Sunday, Sept. 27th)

Good afternoon everyone, 

Since Thursday I've been working on a home DIY project that's taken my time and attention away from the computer.

I decided to refinish the aluminum support columns on the front porch.

I started the chemical stripping on Thursday.  Once that had 24 hours to set (I wrapped the columns in plastic) I did the scraping and after wash (mineral spirits) on Friday. 

Yesterday I did the final wet sanding, applied the primer, waited for it to cure and then applied the first coat of white paint.

I'm waiting a couple more hours and then I will apply the final coat of paint.

Whooo, hopefully won't have to do this again any time soon.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Sunday, Sept. 27th)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  We have missed your posts, but I know you wanted to give your attention to your latest DIT project.  Hope it turns out the way you like.  There always seem to be new things to work on in a house, so I imagine you will find another DIY project once it is done.

I was thinking about you this morning when I looked into my closet -- having a light in there makes such a difference by the way.  Anyway, I noticed two JCP cotton cardigan sweaters that I have had for years in one of my storage totes (with a window).  I really love those sweaters -- not too heavy or light, tight or loose, etc., but I have never found other colors.  I thought Bernie has so much luck seeing what they have on-line, so maybe I should check it out.

Virtual church was great this morning.  Of course, part of that was the music since this was the "contemporary music" service with the two ladies I adore handling the duties.  But, the message was so meaningful to me and touched my heart.

My big accomplishment yesterday was figuring out how to use my old I Pad to do Facetime with my friend Bev.  It was nice seeing her when we talked.  She had been in pain and didn't sleep well, but she has a very positive attitude.  We discussed diet a good bit because now she is on a low sodium diet and most of her staples had been pretty full of sodium.  Not an easy change, but necessary.  She goes to the oncologist on Tuesday.

We continue to have hotter than normal (upper 90's) and very dry weather.  I am using my fans and AC to keep cool.  Also taking my walks early in the morning when it is cooler.

I saw on FB that Jean is on her way back to WV today, and she and her niece had a nice trip.  I don't have any travel plans for the rest of the year, but it sure sounds tempting.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice Sunday and stays safe.

Hugs,

Linda  

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Bernie - Thank you for starting us and good job on the outside project.  You have been a real go getter on them lately.  We need to do some outside painting, that will wait until next year.  DH is still messing with his back and leg, so I don't want to bring up a project he will feel he must help out with and make his back and leg sore again.  You really need to sit back a week and just enjoy your work.

Linda -  Glad you enjoyed your church this morning.  I am also happy you can facetime with your friend.  During the lockdown for the pandemic this past year we found that my mom did better with facetime.  After awhile she wanted to see another person.  It did help her attitude.  

I just finished a batch of chili, I really am not a fan of it, but, DH loves it.  I go the downstairs cleaned up the upstairs will have to wait until next week.  Hope everyone has a good afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, I knew that you were busy with a diy project.  It's a good thing that you aren't getting the rain that we started to get as soon as I got back from my walk.  Good luck with your next project.

Linda, I am glad that you enjoyed your church service and special music.  It's good that you can do the iPad thing with Bev.  My prayers are going to your nephew Steve.

Susan, it looks like you have been busy cleaning too.  I clean house a lot & we have only had two guys in the house since March 7th.  One that put in a new thermostat & the other one checked out our water softener.  We have done self distancing lunches in the driveway.  No inside dining yet & none in the near future.

I was lucky to get my walk in before the rain started.  It's supposed to be rainy & in the 50's through Wednesday.  I like the cooler weather, but not the rain.

We have signed up for the gym Monday -Thursday at 1:00 p.m   That's a good time for us.  After lunch and I have time to fix dinner.

No big plans for this week except for Friday night when we are meeting Christopher & his Dad for a  🐟🐟🐟fry in the park like we did several weeks ago.  Christopher is doing well from the Covid 19.  The other two dgc are doing well with online classes 4 days a week, so we glad for that.  

I would love to go on vacation, but that's out of the question. We do hope to take a couple of day trips when the leaves have turned colors.  They are just starting to turn colors down here.

I did some Fall decorating in the house a few weeks ago, but It saddens me to think about Thanksgiving & Christmas get togethers.

Hugs to all of you.

Honored Contributor

I'm done Woman Very Happy

Well I'm done painting.  I still need to run a bead of caulk along the bottom and top ends of the porch columns - I want the paint to cure really well first.

This was a lot of work and I've smelled stripper, mineral spirits, primer and oil based paint for 4 days.  It will be good to get my sense of smell back Woman Wink

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise