Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Sunday, November 15th

Good Morning Shopping Friends, the sun is shining here and there is a chill in the air.

The new James Bond film Spectre was good from an actions/stunt perspective.  Did I find the storyline as interesting as Skyfall (2012)?  Nope.  I only paid $6 to get in, and good or bad, James Bond movies need to be seen on the big screen.  I don't know if Daniel Craig will return to do another James Bond movie, assuming there will be another.  That's too bad, because he's my favorite next to Sean Connery.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Sunday, November 15th

[ Edited ]

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. I will be seeing Spectre today when I go to the city for the sleep study tonight. I may also work in Bridge of Spies. Daniel Craig is an excellent James Bond; he would be hard to replace. Skyfall would be a difficult movie to equal or surpass.

I really hate venturing to the city without make up, etc. but that is one of the requirements for the sleep study. My hair is freshly done without conditioner so they can put all that junk in it and the scalp.

I just placed an order with the Honolulu Cookie Co. for a selection of goodies to treat myself and others during the upcoming holiday season. I also ordered the WEN mousse trio that was an OTO yesterday.

You might want to check this out. This is a video of my UPS driver performing. UPS is his day job; he also performs at the Grand Ole Opry and in many engagements on weekends and evenings. He could have gone full time in Nashville as he was offered a job as backup and band member but it doesn't have the guaranteed fringe benefits of UPS. This is a performance in Atlanta at a convention and features two songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MugtBhVKRIU&feature=youtu.be

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Jean, I watched the youtube video.  WOW!  What a talent.  The guitar player's ability isn't shabby either, lol.

Not that this compares (really) but I worked at BCBS here for almost 10 years when I went to classes locally for sound recording engineering.  For years, the only school I knew about was Full Sail down in Chillicothe Ohio.  Turns out there was studio locally that had classes.  So I went to class and did well in it.  I took vacation days to accommodate the practicals (actually working sessions) because they happened at night and could go all night.  I had a knack for it.  In order to get in on the ground floor however, you needed to be able to work sessions at the drop of a hat.  Ten years into health insurance, I was accustomed to a regular pay and had health insurance. 

I then realized I was not willing to suffer for my art, rofl.

Sure I spent considerable money that never resulted in a different career, but I look back with pride and feel good that I realized a dream. 

Regarding going out without makeup - try not to be self conscious.  I am sure you are as beautiful outside as inside.  I go out barefaced every day and so far I haven't caused any car accidents and children and animals don't run the other way, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--There are likely many like yourself and Johnny who realize the importance of fringe benefits and a secure job. He does fine doing this as a second job and not the primary one. Too many people don't realize the importance of security, fringe benefits, etc. The entertainment industry is a challenging one, and those who experience continual success are fortunate but there are also many "one hit wonders" out there. It is great to have a talent which enables you to express yourself as a sideline or to know that you had the talent to go full-time.

Oh, I'll venture out without the make up, etc. They will live. I always say that they are more interested in getting my money than in how I look and I won't be remembered after the bill is paid and tip paid. I actually have pretty good skin so the phrase "make up optional" could be applied. I have two friends who have quit wearing make up.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

I am at the airport in the Delta sky room waiting for my flight.

jean...good luck with the sleep study test. I know I would not do well with wires attached. I know you are gorgeous without makeup..I let my hair grow out to a stunning silver color this summer and get many compliments on it.

bernie, a sound engineer????  I have worked with a few when I have performed...it always looked interesting. I wanted to be a singer...even had a recording contract years ago, but I followed my dad's advice to get a real job and sing on the side . Multiple college degrees later, I am glad I heeded his advice.

i love Daniel Craig as James. bond. Will see the movie next week.

enjoy your day to all.

Esteemed Contributor

Barbara--Have a safe flight!! Another singer in our midst!! I once enjoyed singing but I was not of the quality to consider going professional...but some professionals I hear now I consider worthy of containing their singing to the shower.

Respected Contributor

Good morning friends, and all who follow!  I'm one of those rare people who has only seen a couple James Bond movies.  Saw a bunch of oldies for $5 each the other day and thought about buying a few.  DH would surely enjoy watching them with me.

Jean I hope your sleep study goes well.  I remember when they had to do (EKG?) on DD and how I tried so hard to get her to calm down with all those things on her head.  Once they started the test she fell right asleep!  She loved the printout they gave her and had it for a long time on her wall.

Barbara, have a safe flight!

Bernie, I've always wanted to learn sound.  My friend that is staying in my house right now did sound for Willie Nelson for many years.  His son has done sound for many big names but said after he came back from visiting his folks in Macedonia for several months, he just didn't feel like hustling for a job.  I have a 2 year Electronics degree.  I worked in that industry for about 5 years and though I will likely never use it again I don't regret it a bit! 

quiet day here.  I have no motivation to go to church these days.  Not sure what that is about. 

Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Bernie - Thank you for starting us today, we are also having a sunny but chilly day here.  I have to admit this - Not a James Bond fan, I think I have seen a couple of the old ones and that is about it.   Glad you enjoyed the  movie, that always makes it worth it, no matter what the price is. 

Jean -  Enjoy your cookies when you receive them.  My problem, when I buy something like that, I can't eat just a couple - I am not happy until I eat them all.  Good luck with the  sleep study.  Saw the video of the UPS driver, he is really good, glad he can at least live his dream part time.

Barbara -  Have a safe flight.

Kathleen -  You are not alone on only seeing a couple James Bond movies.  Hope you and DH enjoy the movies you picked up.

Twinny -  Hope you are doing okay with your mom, I know this is hard on you, your DH and your brother.

LindaL -  Hope all is well with you DH and you.

LindaR -  Hello, haven't heard much from you lately, hope everything is well.

Not much going on here right now, we have a roast cooking now, we have friends coming over for dinner tonight.

The dog is doing well,she is a really good dog.  And the bonus is, no accidents in the house and she just sleeps all night on her bed.

Well need to get a couple things done here,have a good afternoon everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Thanks for getting us started Bernie.  I'm a pretty faithful Bond fan, but I have rarely seen them at the theater -- usually, just watched the videos.  I did see and enjoy Skyfall.  The local movie critic said that the latest Bond movie was a pretty good, but not as good as Skyfall which he thought was among the best.  

Interesting about alternate careers that you and others have considered.  My ex and I tried to go into film/video production, but that was more his dream than mine.  I am one who would vote for a secure job with benefits -- not much of a risk-taker as far as careers go.  

We had a performer at the potluck on Friday who played mostly mariachi music, but he also plays many other types.  He was talking about how he plays with many different bands many types of music since he is a full-time musician.  And, he plays at bars, restaurants, weddings, etc.  Not an easy life for sure, but he loves it. 

I enjoyed your UPS man, Jean -- very talented.  Hope the sleep study goes okay, and please don't worry a bit about not wearing make-up.  

Have a safe trip back to Arizona, Barbara.  I'm sure your singing is wonderful.  But, your Dad probably gave you excellent advice.  And, you were very good at your "day jobs".  Glad you like your hair without added color.  

Enjoy your quiet day, Kathleen.  Glad you felt your studies were worth it despite not leading to a career.  

Hope you enjoy your dinner, Susan.  Very happy that your new dog is working out so well.

Waves to Arlene, twinny, snicks, pinky ann, Charlene, Rosa, LindaR, Marijane, Gayle, Karen, and all of our posters and readers.

I'm back from church and plan to go to the gym soon.  Can't say that things are any better with DH -- he is still having trouble with things like getting in and out of the car, on and off the sofa, etc., but that is the way it goes.  I think it is probably the result of his dementia and is the "new normal".  But, it does make me very sad indeed.  

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Just checking in to say that my head is still above water but this ordeal with mom is very mentally draining for me.  I did get my infusion on Friday so my body should feel stronger for another 8 weeks. I knew that when mom fell about 6 weeks ago that she would probably never be able to go back to her home again anytime soon & probably never.  It took my brother longer as he only saw her once a week & he never saw her on a bad memory day like we did. I  am so glad to be retired but my brother is still working so I do realize that his time is more limited than mine is.  All weekend mom kept asking me why she cannot go back home & what she will do with the furniture in her house.  It will stay there as long  as  it has to.   DH & I looked at the 3 places in town suitable for mom on Thurs.  I didn't see her Friday as I needed to recuperate from my infusion so we took her yesterday to look at them.  She didn't want to go but we finally persuaded her that she will be leaving her rehab place probably on Tuesday.  Unless she wants to pay $255 for each day she is there after Tuesday.  One place we didn't like but we did like the one place & there is an opening that wasn't there on Thursday.  Mom told me today that she didn't like her options, but there isn't anything that I can do anymore.  Tomorrow I need to call the palliative care Dr., the new home for mom & the gal that is there so they can evaluate mom & the guy from her rehab place so we can all meet again real soon.  My brother is calling me tonight as this decision is very hard on me & I do need a little extra support right now.  Mom's new home is really nice with just 3 other ladies & she would make 4.  Her room would be large with a private bathroom which the other places you shared the bathroom.  I have been reading your posts each night & hope to start being more fun again. soon.  You gals are so talented in many ways with jobs & musical talents as well.  I did play the accordion for 6 years (which FHG hated).  I also live in the Swiss Cheese capitol of the world & there are lots of polka bands around here as well as neighboring states.  The only thing that I hated was the yearly recital.  Sorry to bore all of you, but I feel so much better right now.  We had ribs for lunch so a light supper is the order of the evening.  Yes I did find time to cook for lunch today after going to church.  We rewashed the picture window this afternoon as the thunderstorm on Weds. night made a mess of it after being only washed 10 days ago.  JEAN, good luck with your sleep study I believe to be tonight.