Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Sunday, June 30th)

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and My Goodness - where in the heck did June go?  I've learned that retirement did not slow down the passage of time.  My dad was right, it speeds up when you get older Woman Wink

I'm very happy that the humidity has evaporated for a little while.  It's 75 degrees outside right now and I'm hydrating after mowing the front yard.  It's been 12 days since I cut the grass so today is the day before the heat and humidity return.  We have lots of rain forecast for the upcoming week.

The grass in the front yard isn't growing as much since the maple tree pruning.  Can't say that about the backyard, wowsa.

There is new life on the maple tree and I took a photo of it.  I will post it later once I finish mowing the backyard.

Time for me to get at it since there is lots of shade there now.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Sunday, June 30th)

Hello Ladies.....yes Bernie where did the time go...July just about.....summer goes too quickly...as for me.  WE were nice and sunny most of the morning but now has gotten very dark and weather alerts are saying severe thunder storms for us...I can hear distant thunder.       

NOT much going on....watching game 2 of the Yanks,Red Sox from London......

Wind starting to pick up..........Have a nice day everyone.......Marijane.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Glad your weather was better for mowing today and you have new growth on the maple tree.  

It is hot here again today.  They are saying we may have thunderstorms tomorrow.  I sort of "blew it" yesterday in that I was up until after 10:30 p.m. doing my weekly financial review.  I got distracted by doing other things around the house, going to Sprouts, etc.  Plus, I went swimming -- that was very nice.  Anyway, I knew I would be tired in the morning since I didn't get to sleep until well after 11:00 p.m.  It was already 77 degrees at 5:30 a.m., so I decided to go for my walk rather than try to sleep a bit extra.   Hope I don't fall asleep during the sermon at church, but it is a strong possibility.

"My" gym/fitness center should be back open, and I'm planning to go there after church (after changing clothes, of course).

I like both the TSV and the Q2 big deals, but I have not ordered yet.  I did call my cable company yesterday, and they are reducing my bill slightly since we were "loyal customers" of many years.  Also, I am supposed to be getting faster internet for no extra charge.  I still am considering giving up the TV and getting antenna(s) instead, but I think I would need some help from someone more knowledgeable about antennas, etc.   The cable internet is by far the best in our area, so I won't be giving that up.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. I heard a report on the radio about birds and fireworks.  I knew dogs and cats had problems with fireworks, but did not realize that birds can be disturbed and actually run into things.  They were discussing how some communities are trying to reduce this problem by limiting the number of displays and/or requiring that they don't make noise.  I imagine you know all about it, Bernie.

ETA -- enjoy the game, Marijane.  Hope the storms in your area pass quickly.

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte   The down side about the fireworks is that they usually occur during prime bird breeding season.  Depending on how close a firework is set off compared to the tree or nesting area, there is a risk of a bird being startled, especially a baby and it falling out of the nest.

I heard some fireworks yesterday and thought wow, it's been pretty quiet around here this year.  I didn't hear any around Memorial Day - I can't remember if we were being blessed with rain that night.

Michigan opened up to the fireworks industry a few years ago.  The governor we had at the time figured it was a source of income versus folks sneaking off to Ohio and hiding them in the car when they came back home.  These are the bigger and louder fireworks I'm talking about.

Folks are supposed to be allowed to set them off day before, day of and day after a holiday.  My community tried to restrict even more and got in trouble with the governor.  I think I just saw something in the weekly community newspaper about new fireworks restriction.  I suppose I should read it now before using it for the birds later, ha ha.

Honored Contributor

I stand corrected.  House Bill 5939 (State Law) decreased the number of days that fireworks could be discharged from 30 to 12.  There are also some new time restrictions for certain dates that can't be overturned at the municipal level.

There is a fine involved if the law is broken but the hardest part is enforcement.  There aren't enough cops to catch people doing it.

You aren't supposed to discharge fireworks on public property.  My next door neighbor decided to get her family together a few years ago to sit on the berm just on the other side of our fences (we abut a school athletic field) and discharge fireworks.  My point of view was, if you are going to have the nerve to do it on the school field, then go all the way into the school field.

I was sitting on my patio and saw a few ember looking things come down in my yard.  I calmly walked up to my back fence and said, hi, Happy Independence Day Woman Happy  You look like you're having fun Woman Happy  I would be too if your fireworks waste wasting falling in my yard Woman Happy  Please aim your fireworks in a different direction because if I see another thing fall down in my yard, it's going to get unpleasant Woman Happy 

Honored Contributor

New life on my silver maple in the front yard.  

IMG_20190630_105216284.jpg