Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Sunday, July 12

Hi girls! 

It's another hot, sunny day, although the temperatures are "cooler" - the "real feel" is only 93° today after days of triple digit temps. I've been hearing thunder from time to time, just like yesterday, but all that materialized was a brief shower - I didn't even notice it until I went out and saw the ground was wet.

I did get a little bit of yard work done last evening - mostly just the big, tall weeds cut down, as it was too darned hot to do much more than that.  I ended up having a very pleasant day; I checked the mailbox by the street, which I don't often do since my "real" mail goes to the PO Box. I had forgotten I'd ordered another flea preventative for Autumn from Amazon and that was there, and there was also a flat envelope from Amazon. I couldn't remember ordering anything else, so I opened it, and to my surprise a sweet Christian man whom I only know from FB sent me a $100 Amazon gift card to help with the cost of my animals' food!  That was so nice of him; every so often he sends me a little something, but this was completely unexpected.  (I know what you're thinking...but he's much too young, darn it!) 

I went to Ollie's to pick up some more of the dog treats I had gotten the day before and that they loved; thing with Ollie's is, when you find something you like you have to get it, as it's likely they'll never have the same item again.  I had the dogs with me so I had to run in and out and thus wasn't tempted by anything else. From there I took a ride to the buy/sell/trade bookstore to see if there was anything worthwhile in the free bins outside - they dump books that they don't sell, or books that they don't want to buy that the owners just leave behind.  It was slim pickings, although I found two novels, but as I was looking an employee came out with a long cart (like the luggage carts at airports) piled about 6' high with boxes of books and dumped them in; it was followed a few minutes later by another, equally-loaded cart.  Cat Happy  There were mostly Christian books, including some by excellent teachers like Lutzer and Walvoord, but also some cookbooks, novels, and a pile of anime comics... I ended up getting around 100 books, all for FREE; some for me, but most of the Christian books will go to the church library, the anime comics and a new Bible will go to a friend in prison, I found a dictionary for a friend who collects them...  I probably could have found more, but my then my trunk (which already had some stuff in it) was so full I couldn't fit another thing into it.  All-in-all, it was a very nice day. 

Bird, your babies sound like so much fun!  You're blessed to have them. 

I don't remember what brand those sandals were; they weren't a "big" name (and they're already in the outside trash), but I will never, ever again buy shoes that have that cushy bottom; in fact, I try to stick pretty much with Clark's, as they fit well, are comfortable, and I've rarely had a problem - just once, that I can remember.  Rockports are good as well. As for buying shoes or anything else from QVC, I don't anymore...they no longer have the unique items and good prices that they used to, and once you factor in the high S&H, no thanks!

For a while I was tempted by the Bose radio/CD players but never got it; I did get one by, I think, Sony, but it didn't last more than a few months - the CD player, which is all I really wanted, just stopped playing  Seems nothing is quality anymore. Cat Sad

Oh, time change...I'm pretty much set on what time I get up and go to bed; only thing is, I'm still on Hawaii time!  Cat LOL

I had an email from my BFF last night, thanking me for the package I sent her.  Remember a week or so ago I mentioned that she knows a guy who picks through the trash for cans and things, yet she suspects "he has lots of money stashed away," and who she gave my number to so he could call me, adding that he'd be calling me from a convenience store because he doesn't have a phone?  I really think the woman is getting senile or something - she wrote that she thinks he's interested in me, and what day would be good to have him come to her house so he could call me from there.  Seriously?  If I wanted to get involved with a man it would be someone who is a professional, financially secure, well-educated and, well...sane!  Cat Frustrated  Fortunately she lives in California.  (sigh)  I haven't responded yet; you think she'll get the hint if I tell her (truthfully) that I only have 250 minutes a month (usually more than enough) so don't have much time to talk?

Well, the thunder has stopped, so I'd better cut the grass while I can - some patches in the back yard are over a foot high, and hide any "doggie land mines" that might be in them.  I also have to go through all those books and sort them out.

Hi to everyone - hope you all have a blessed day!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Sunday, July 12

Cute backpack, Bernie. 

I keep forgetting to mention that I sent those D&Co. pants back via USPS, and the price was about $2.50 less than what they wanted here.  Also, the package was delivered quickly.  I think that if you are sending things back, it is a good idea to check alternatives.

Sorry you weren't happy with several of your purchases, Charlene.  I ordered those candles when they were a TSV (actually two sets, one for DD).  And, I am a candle addict, so I'm tempted to order more.  But, I am trying to exercise some restraint.

Good for you Barbara in resisting that impulse jewelry purchase.  I'm sure it was pretty, but.....

You certainly did well with all those books, Arlene.  Sorry about your friend.

We had some rain today -- which in our case is a good thing.  

Sleep well everyone.