Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Sunday Jan 24th

Good Morning All,

Its' party cloudy, not terribly cold (compared to last week) and dry in my little part of the country.

I did some online shopping last night on my tablet (not a good idea - touch of eye strain) and picked up some new curtains and new hardware (decorative rods) for my big bay window. 

I never bothered to swap out the elaborate traverse rod set up that the previous owner installed and as time went by, found it more and more difficult to find window coverings in the pinch pleat top style.

I'm going straight decorative rod which will accommodate more window covering styles like grommet top, back tab, etc.

The most expensive pieces were the rods themselves but at least I did catch at sale at JCP.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Sunday Jan 24th

Good morning! 

I am hoping to get out this afternoon. ..I have cooked and watched movies and Say yes to the dress.   Cabin fever has set in, Mark has a 40 heel drive truck so we are going to make a break for it this afternoon.

Yesterday he took  some of the food I had cooked to my D's I stayed home 19 degrees!

Some warmer today,  I hope everyone is safe and warm. 

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. Good job on finding the curtains and rods that meet your current and future needs. Enjoy your improved weather.

Rosa--Enjoy your outing today. Cabin fever is a reality in conditions such as we have had.

We have sunshine, glorious sunshine!! Definitely makes it easier for people to dig out. I haven't been off the property since last Tuesday and that was for a quick run to the Post Office and Drug Store to get necessities before the first round of snow arrived.

I guess we are having an all day kitchen show so there will be no watching of any Q hour today. Right now, I have Criminal Minds for background entertainment. I brought in the new car manual to read during the snow and have yet to do that, so I'll likely do that today as I'm preparing a necessities kit for the car.

I discovered, on Facebook, a promotional for something called Pretty Litter. Basically the litter contains a chemical that turns the litter various colors depending upon the nature of the kitty urine. It is an early indicator of various kidney issues with the color indicating the possible problem. It supposedly detects a problem long before it affects the cat to the point that you take it to the vet. Early intervention is less expensive or so the pitch goes. I had a cat that died of kidney disease, so I am interested in this.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Good Sunday morning everyone.

Thanks @Bird mama, for starting us off. Good job on finding new rods and curtains online last night (sorry about the eyestrain). I love re-doing something like that, it makes such a difference I think. It is sunny and cool, but just above the freezing mark, so much better than recent days.

@fbm8282lsm, I stayed in all day yesterday and feel like I want to get out for just a little while today too. I am only going to take care of a few errands, but I'll be out of the house anyway, lol. Hope you enjoy your outing.

No news here, oh I did here from trucker girl, lol. She made it safely to Scranton last night and on in to the receiver this morning, about 20 loads had not made it there this morning, she was the 3rd to get there, and after they unload her, they are shutting down and all others will have to wait. She is picking up a load about 25 miles from there and going to Greensboro NC, looks to me like a lot of mountain driving, hope the roads are getting cleared. Sorry, I know you all must be sick of hearing about her travels, lol. It's what is on my mind during this bad weather, naturally. Hope evevyone is safe and snug. Waves to all.....

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Hi @KonaKat, seems we were posting at the same time.
Trusted Contributor

Hello Ladies, sun out here..in the 20's but warmer weather coming all week.  When I woke up this morning the driveway was plowed and the paths,deck and patio were shoveled...they must have come sometime during the night to have it done so early.Our road looks To be snow packed on it...no blacktop showing.  I may go out just to go out...cabin fever too Rosa. We had about 15 inches so lower then they had been predicting .

I never get tired of reading your DD adventures Snicks....it's amazing all the driving she does....when and where does she sleep?  Does she ever get weekends off?

Bernie sounds like new curtains/rods will be a pick up to your room.

Jean that kitty litter sounds interesting...is it something you have to use all the time in place of what you have or can you mix it?

Not much here...planning to make Italian wedding soup for supper and do some laundry. 

Have a nice day ladies.......Marijane

Honored Contributor

@Genny1 wrote:

Hello Ladies, sun out here..in the 20's but warmer weather coming all week.  When I woke up this morning the driveway was plowed and the paths,deck and patio were shoveled...they must have come sometime during the night to have it done so early.Our road looks To be snow packed on it...no blacktop showing.  I may go out just to go out...cabin fever too Rosa. We had about 15 inches so lower then they had been predicting .

I never get tired of reading your DD adventures Snicks....it's amazing all the driving she does....when and where does she sleep?  Does she ever get weekends off?

Bernie sounds like new curtains/rods will be a pick up to your room.

Jean that kitty litter sounds interesting...is it something you have to use all the time in place of what you have or can you mix it?

Not much here...planning to make Italian wedding soup for supper and do some laundry. 

Have a nice day ladies.......Marijane

@Genny1, thanks, that is sweet of you to say. She does get around, doesn't she, lol. She sleeps in the back of her truck, they are set up with built in beds. Showers are taken at the truck stops. She has a cooler in her truck, so far she has not gotten a microwave (I think), but can have one if she buys it. Her kids got her a TV for her truck, so she says she's pretty comfy. She sleeps when she runs out of hours she can legally drive. Each day when the wheels start turning starts a 14 hour clock that includes everything, fueling, being live loaded or unloaded, vehicle inspections which are done daily for safety reasons, etc., I may be getting mixed up here as it's been years since I was in the business, but I think drivers can actually be driving a total of 11 hours per day so 3 hours figured in for all the other stuff, if that other stuff gets into their driving time, then they can't drive as long. A slow load/unload can cause them less time to actually get down the road. And lots of other things are figured in. She told me she only has 6 hours to drive today (there is also a 70 hour weekly clock, lol) then will get 11.5 hours back at midnight, so it's a lot to keep track of, When the 70 hour weekly clock runs out, they have to sit for I think 36 hours to re-set it to get full hours back. It's all set up by  DOT to keep the drivers from running on complete exhaustion and being un-safe. There is more, but it's all kind of complicated. There is also a split-break situation that then gets really complicated if they have to use that.  The drivers and their dispatchers know all the laws though. Like I said, at this point, I have forgotten about a lot of it, until she mentions something then I remember.

Your soup sounds really good. I am thinking potato soup for us today.

Esteemed Contributor

Marijane--One bag of that cat litter supposedly lasts about a month. No, you cannot mix it with other brands because of chemical interactions. This is the site which has a video plus a FAQ section: . http://prettylittercats.com/

Snicks--I know you have your daughter on your mind during these weather conditions. No, we don't get tired of hearing about her travels or your concerns.

I guess I should fix some lunch and then commit myself to an hour of house stuff. I even brought into the house items I had in the car. I need to determine which ones will be returned.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Thanks for getting us started Bernie.  Your curtain and rods purchase sounds good.  I would like to replace the vertical blinds in the living room, but I still have not decided what to replace them with.  Plantation shutters appeal to me, but I am not sure how practical they are.  Also, these blinds go all the way to the floor, so I need to decide whether to buy shorter ones or not.  Someday, I will figure this out, but probably not for a while.

It is cooler here today, and we should be having more normal temperatures -- so our highs will be in the 60's rather than the mid to high 70's like we had for a few days.  Still great temperatures and no snow, so I'm not complaining one bit.  

Hope you get out today, Rosa.  I remember "cabin fever" back in the day.  I try to get outside every day, if only for a walk.  But, I know when it is so cold/snowy, etc. that is not always possible.

Glad it is sunny there, Jean.  I hope you can get out of your house soon, but I think it is wise to wait until the roads, etc. are cleared before doing so.  That kitty litter sounds interesting.  

Hi snicks -- your DD certainly has some adventures with her truck driving.  I knew that there were rules about the number of hours they drive, etc., but I didn't realize there were so many rules.  Hope you enjoy being out of the house today, if only doing some errands.

Your soup sounds good Marijane.  Glad your driveway and patio are shoveled out.

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Susan, spix, Charlene, LindaR, Barbara, Karen, Gayle, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

I'm back from church, and DH and I will be going to the gym soon.  He had an accident this morning, which always gets my day off to a less than great start.  But, I am developing strategies to avoid this problem.  I did start getting ready for church earlier than normal, which was a very good idea.

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Wow Snicks that sure sounds complicated !! We have a truck weigh in on the CT turnpike(I-95) and I have never seen it opened....in all the years I have lived here! Maybe it is in the night...

How did your DD make out in the snow LindaL.....I hope your GS's car is fixed in a few days.

I started to do things around the house so I never got out....tomorrow is another day.