Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Sunday, August 9th)

Good Morning, I'm sitting in my office and every window in my house is open.  I'm enjoying a light breeze and the sounds of birds chirping and leaves fluttering.  Heat and humidity are working their way across the state from the west so I probably have a couple of hours before I seal up the house and kick on the A/C.

I have to say, we sure had some beautiful weather this past week.  I was able to get some smaller outdoor chores completed and I enjoyed doing the yard work yesterday.

Linda @LindaLatte  My heart goes out to David's mother - I can't imagine outliving a child.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Sunday, August 9th)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Glad your weather has been so nice, and you have the windows open.  Not possible here with our hot and dry weather.  It was okay on my early walk this morning, thank goodness.

Thank you for your good thoughts for Sally, David's Mom.  The whole family is shaken by David's death, but from their Facebook messages, etc., he was in a great deal of pain.

I had a most unpleasant surprise this morning when I went to pick up my newspaper.  My trash can was overturned, and the contents were out on the ground.  I have never had that problem here before, but I believe it was the work of javelinas.  They are low to the ground, but can tip over trash cans.  Fortunately, there was only one trash bag in the can, and nothing very smelly or gross, but I was happy to have my disposable gloves and disinfectant handy.  I think the only "interesting" food they got were some apples that I had disposed of since they were in the refrigerator too long.  I will do more trash can cleaning after virtual church, and hope for the best.  

Hope you like your new Susan Graver clothes, Jean.  Really hope we have a chance to wear the blazers this year, but who knows. 

I saw on FB that Marijane's area was without power for five days, and there was a lot of damage to her yard from the storm.  Very sorry you had to deal with this Marijane, and I hope things are more back to normal soon.

The OLLI Fall classes were announced yesterday, and I picked out some.  There is a system where you select classes, rank them by your preference, and then they have a sort of lottery to determine which classes you are able to attend.  The new classes don't start until late September.

Nothing exciting going on here. Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Have a nice day and stay safe.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

It's in the 90's and high humidity. UGH!!!! The forecast is predicting a week of thunderstorms. My knees argee. LOL

I did manage to install the webbing around the hosta garden yesterday. It took much longer than I thought it would. The key was to have "official" posts and not garden stakes, etc. We finally found 3 in the shed and made due with an old umbrella pole.I have a phase 2 to compkete it with some brick work and marble chips to define the edging. Today I'm going to weed the front garden and then I'm not sure which garden I will tackle next. Most likely it will depend on the heat.

Komkat---The mint gingerale is made by Tom Tucker or Natrona Bottling. It's difficult to find. Mint "anything" helps with my stomach issues. I use to grow it and then dry it but the deer started to munch on it. Now I just purchase the tea bags and the soda.

I was surprised to see a "cooking day" special today. August seem to arrive too fast. Oh well, I did switch the wreaths on the front door to the "before Fall but not garden' one. We're trying to decide what projects on our list are managable and affordable to complete before winter. I have more projects than months or money. LOL 

The Christmas wrapping bags that I advanced ordered in CIJ arrived on Friday. The LG Balance & Glow is still traveling the country.  Interesting the routes the items are taking regardless of the carrier.

Stay safe & comfy.

Have a good afternoon/evening.     

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. Enjoy your wonderful weather and the fresh air. It is sunny and cool here but the coming days are featuring nice warm weather.

Linda--After ordering the SG TSV, I wondered if I ever would have a place to wear it. I rleally think it was an optimistic momen that helped motivate me to order it. I don't see myself working much this coming year because of the challenges presented to regular teachers who might fear what they would face if missing work for appointments, etc..

Fressa--Enjoy your CIJ purchases as well as your outdoor work. Shipping is always interesting. I had some dumbbells ordered from Amazon that were not supposed to arrive until the end of this week. They arrived yesterday.

I've been going through some drawers and trying to make a decision about its destiny. Marie says that if it doesn't bring you love, then get rid of it. But then, that question of "Did I give it a fair chance?' enters my mind.  I definitely am one of those who wears 20% of clothing 80% pf the time.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

OOoh Linda @LindaLatte   I just looked up a javelina. 

Javelinas | Arizona Highways

I live by the motto that God creates everything for a reason.  Kinda glad we don't have them here Woman Wink

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, we have had a beautiful week or more of 50's by night and 70's during the day.  It's going to be in the upper 80's today and mid 80's for at least a week.  The good thing is that September is right around the corner. There's nothing like having every window in the house open.  The A/C will be getting a workout.  It was a good idea to get your outside chores done with cooler weather.  

Linda L, I am so sorry for Sally losing her DS David.  My mil will be 95 years old next month.  My DH is her eldest son of 5 boys & so far all of his younger brothers are still alive.  We were planning to have a nice birthday party for her, but I think that we will be seeing her individually.  The annual pool party at one of his brother's house this month has already been cancelled. Enjoy your blazer from SG.  That was a nasty surprise with your trash can.  I was sorry to hear about the damage and 5 day power outage at Marijane's house.  

Fressa, I hope that you get some cooler weather soon.  I am glad that you got the webbing job done around the hostas.  Not a fun job, I am sure.  I hate cooking so I never watch a cooking show.  More projects than $$$ is funny.  My $$$ is going to the dentist and that's no fun either.  It's been an expensive few months with my dh's new glasses, hearing aids and dental work for both of us.  Going on vacation would have been a lot more fun.  They say that things come in three's.  Now I hope that it ends.

Jean, it looks like you are doing a good job of deciding what to keep & what to get rid of.  I go through my things often & wear most of it all of the time.  My DH is finally getting better at decluttering his things. Staying home for so long has made him realize what he needs to keep or get rid of.

We are getting a nice little shower.  It's supposed to rain off and on for a few days.  We can use it.  My tomatoes are doing well.  They love hot weather and & a good rain.  

I got up early and was doing my walk at 6:15 this morning.   I was out & back home before my DH woke up.  It was 70° already, so I was glad that I left home early.

Lunch was homemade  🍕🍕🍕 with leftovers for supper.  The hot tub was wonderful right before lunch.  

I am going to call the senior center tomorrow morning to see if we can go back to the gym.  It's open for 4 people at one time for one hour, sanitized after each hour & twice a week.  Our ds and dsil say "go for it."

We are getting stir crazy and need something to do.  We had a nice dinner with Christopher & our dsil on Friday night.  Things are still not done with the D & the saga continues.  

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

OOoh Linda @LindaLatte   I just looked up a javelina. 

Javelinas | Arizona Highways

I live by the motto that God creates everything for a reason.  Kinda glad we don't have them here Woman Wink

Me too!  

Esteemed Contributor

I never saw a javelina before I moved here.  Ones with babies like in the picture can be particularly dangerous.  Usually, they go in packs of three or more, and I understand that they hate dogs.  I would not be unhappy if they moved away, but I guess they lived here first.  Just need to find away to make my garbage can less attractive.

Esteemed Contributor

Like you Jean, I often ask "Did I give it a fair chance?'  Of course, most of the time, the item could easily be donated, but sometimes I live to regret my decision.  Tough call.

Hope you and your DH are able to go back to the senior center, Glenda.  Some of our gyms were open for a while, but then the governor closed them along with bars.  I didn't go to the gym when it was open since it was not "my gym" plus there were lots of limitations and the need to sign a waiver.  Now they are talking about putting some of the equipment outdoors on the patio at one of the fitness centers.  They would have misting fans, but I know it is way too hot for me to do serious exercise outdoors.  Even in the shade, when it is over 100 degrees out, I can't "take the heat" as they say.  I am doing my Leslie Sansone DVD's several times a week, and they are pretty rigorous (and make me sweat).