Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Sun., Jan. 20th)

Good Morning from the chilly SE part of Michigan.  It's currently 8 degrees outside and the sun is shining.  I was bundled up and outside early this morning so that I could clear the patio and put food and warm water down for the animals.  I felt bad because the birds and squirrels got the chance to eat once yesterday morning before the falling snow covered the food.  

It was so cold at 7:45 that even though I was wearing faux fur lined suede gloves, it felt like my fingertips were about to break off.  I reminded myself that the animals were barefooted all night through this and kept it moving.

I'll go to my grave not knowing how they do it.

Once the sun was up in the sky, my outdoor 'family' started moving around.  Now I just need to keep and eye on the water and prevent it from freezing over.

My sister is going to come over today with a rented DVD.  This one is also an older movie called No Good Deed.  It's a suspenseful movie and I'm looking forward to seeing it.  We're going to have a salad/pizza/movie day.

What are you up to today?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Sun., Jan. 20th)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  You are having very cold weather.  Hope it warms up and you don't have to change the water too often due to freezing.  Sounds like you will have a fun day with your sister.

It is supposed to make it well into the 70's today, but be windy.  Our high for Tuesday should be in the 50's, so I guess the weather is a bit unsettled.  Hope all of you in the cold/ice/snow zone are keeping warm and safe.

Nothing exciting planned here, but I will be busy -- church, gym, and grief group.  If the first two take too long, I may not be able to make grief group.  But, hope to do so.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. Good for you in taking care of the outside needs. It is amazing how animals can sometimes withstand these temps. We had the announcements all evening and today to make sure that they were brought inside. Obvioiusly, not all can be brought inside.

Linda--You have a busy day planned. Hopefully, you will be able to accomplish all. Needless to say, you have great temps.

I took one look outside when I got up and confirmed the weather person was on target. Midnight and I have been staying inside. Tonight, we may have windchills of up to 20 below depending upon area of the state. Right now, some roads are skating rinks as the rain, then snow and rapidly falling temps resulted in ice covered roads.

I just turned on the Q to see David announce that everything on air was 5 easy pays plus free shipping. The Q is really making efforts to get people to shop. 

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, it's almost a full-time job this time of the year keeping water from freezing.  We have quite a few squirrels running around chasing after each other . They are always out on a  sunny day sunning themselves.  Enjoy your movie, pizza and salad day with your sister.

Linda  L, it looks like you have another busy day.  Hope that you can work it all iin.

Jean, your area sounds treacherous.  We only got 6" of light fluffy snow yesterday and the snow plows did a good job as usual.  It was business as usual yesterday morning already.

It is cold but the sunshine feels wonderful.  We went to church and had lunch out.  We went to Culver's and I had chicken noodle soup.  My taste buds are wonky from the prednisone right now so I am mostly on a fresh diet.  

Nothing exciting going on around here today.

On Tuesday we have eye appointments out of town so I am hoping that Tuesday's snowstorm holds off until the afternoon.  We will be going to a more rural area.  My bil is an optometrist there & then we plan to take my DH's mom out for lunch.

I did get my driver's license  renewed a couple of weeks ago so if we have to cancel the appointments it's no big deal.

Hot tub time.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Twinny--Glad you were able to make it to church. Services were cancelled in my area. It is always good to take care of needs when possible when the weather is decent. I hope you are able to make it to your eye appointments safely on Tuesday.

Q. Alexa, what is the low to night?

A. The expected low is 6 degrees. (Wouldn't give wind chill)

This is one reason I dislike getting out in Wiinter. This used to be a decent road  for travel to the city despite being crooked in many places. Then this Summer a big operation came in with heavy equipment that weakened the roads. The almost non-stop rains have caused several roads to start collapsing. This is one example of two on the way to the city.

As you go around the curve, one lane plus a little bit of the other lane is gone. This required one way traffic using what lane is left plus the berm. There is  steep hill and a river to the left. This is not something I would want to handle during snow and ice. There are two of these between my town and the city

Rt5.jpg

q

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, that road is not my idea of a safe road to travel on.  We are used to well maintained plowed roads.  

Our eldest dgs turned 18 today.  It seems like yesterday that he was a cute little loveable baby boy.  Now he is a handsome young man.  He just called to thank us for his birthday $$$ & looks forward to going shopping.  He just got back home from a weekend up North to one of his bf's parents summer home.  There were 8 guys and the mom & dad.  Yikes!  I am glad that I didn't have to feed all of them.

Our other dgs is still pretty sick with an earache & a sore throat. I hope that he feels better soon.  

My DH is napping in the sunshine.  

Trusted Contributor

‘Hello ladies, we didn’t receive as much snow as expected but rain that is now frozen solid ..but the sky has cleared so hopefully it will be clear to be able to see the full moon and Luna eclipse...it will be starting around 9:30 east coast time and will be pretty cold here too...6 degrees not sure of the wind chill.   

that’s some dangerous looking road Jean. I wouldn’t want to be on it on a summers day much less in winter.

Bernie I hope the movie was good and the pizza and salad too...I am having chicken I picked up at the store yesterday.  

twinny we we can use some of the sunny day here but hopefully it will be here by Tuesday.

not much else here.....have a nice rest of the day....I am also delighted that the sun is not setting till around  5pm here.....,    Marijane.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Marijane--Glad you didn't get a lot of snow. As far as that road in the picture is concerned, we are used to crooked roads and hairpin turns but not having the road destroyed by heavy equipment and continual rains. There are several straight stretches and other turns in good condition but these two are firsts in my experience. Needless to say, they are beginning to repair them but it will be Spring or Summer before it is really done because of the weather.

We just got the advisory to expect a wind chill of 15 below zero tonight. 

Esteemed Contributor

Operation "Light Bulbs Near Pipes" is completed. Now to drip water and keep cabinet doors open to permit more heat in. Got to "love" Winter.

This may just motivate me to buy the IM TSV but I usually don't like the colors they combine in sets.