Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Sept 17th, Monday

Good Morning,

The sun is shining and it's going to be another warm day here.  I'm enjoying my second cup of coffee as I plan the day's activities.  I'll probably cut the grass which hasn't grown much but always looks better after a trim. I've been gathering walnuts off of the tree by the bucketload over the weekend.  One year I stopped counting at 750 nuts.  I think next year I'm going keep a tally sheet from summer to fall because I've always been curious about just how many walnuts grow on that tree.

I think there are a couple of things within easy reach in the garage addition that can go to the curb tomorrow.  I keep plugging away at that task (organizing the garage addition) and it makes me feel good when I see any kind of progress Woman Happy

Sending good thoughts to Jean as she goes for her procedure this afternoon. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Sept 17th, Monday

Good Morning/Afternoon, and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  It should be hot here (I think at least 100 degrees), but they are predicting some rain and cooler temperatures later in the week.  Are you able to eat the walnuts? I remember visiting my Uncle in CA when I was young, and they had nut trees full of walnuts, etc.   My family had a new station wagon which we had used to drive across country. Anyway, we took a bunch of walnuts home, but they turned out to be full of worms.  Yuck!

Great job in your decluttering.  One of the OLLI classes I am taking is called "declutter your world".  Hope to get even more motivation to "get things under control" around here.  

I did not sleep all that well last night, but I was able to make a couple of important calls to the East Coast early this morning before my walk.  Happy to say that both calls went well, and knowing that made my walk a little happier.  After the marathon eating I did on my trip, my weight is back to normal.  Hope to continue that now that I'm home.

One of the ladies on the trip was carrying a small portable phone charger, and I decided to purchase one when I got home.  Hope the one I selected from Amazon works okay.  I had a portable phone charger from years ago, but it is bulky and not something I would want to carry on a trip.  Now that everything is on the "smart phone" I am more concerned about keeping it charged.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers. Hope Jean gets good results from her test, and everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

Hi Bernie - thanks for getting us started today.  I grew up with 5 huge walnut trees in our yard.  It was the job of my sisters and me to gather and crack them.  My Mom would can them for future use.  Do you preserve them in any way?  Good job on the continued clean out!  Linda - Glad to hear that you had such a nice trip, and congrats on resisting purchases.  Jean - joining in with the others in hoping the procedure goes well and the results are favorable.  I have to join Linda is saying that I haven't worn a watch since I started wearing a fitbit all the time.  I have a couple of sterling silver watches that are quite pretty too.

Just got done pulling a few big weeds that invaded my tomato patch.  There's one type that acts like velcro.  Very annoying.  I'm about to go feed the weeds to our goats.  I have a regular Monday planned, with a combination of Bible study and chores lined up.  Dinner is going to be BBQ chicken, corn on the cob (on sale this week), and watermelon.  In case you're wondering, it's still very much summer around here, lol.

Waves to all  ~  Charlene

Trusted Contributor

Hi @LindaLatteI think that we were posting at the same time.  Yes, when we were working on the walnuts as kids, about 1 in 4 would have worms or be yucky.  My hometown was well-known for walnuts and apricots.  The walnut trees were attacked by a disease, and eventually taken out to built houses.  The only cash crop still around here are grapefruit trees.  We're happy to see that one grower has planted a new variety of walnut trees.  They're resistant to that disease, grow faster and shorter in height.  I look forward to seeing them grow.

Honored Contributor

So... Linda @LindaLatte  did you have a nice time on your trip?

It's a black walnut tree in my backyard and I have no idea if humans can eat them.  I can tell you that the squirrels seem to enjoy them.   

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Bernie -- it was a great trip.  Very nice fellow "Road Scholars", great tour guide, and lots of places to visit.  It helped me to be away from access to bank accounts, etc.  I didn't want to log-in to the accounts for fear that my information would be stolen.  Of course, now I'm back and busy looking at all these accounts, etc.  Also interested in what comes in the mail today.  I have been waiting for some of the estate stuff for a while.

Honored Contributor

Hey Charlene @cerb  I just looked up what kind of tree I have and it's an eastern black walnut tree.

They look like this when they are on the tree

Image result for black walnut tree

Here is what I would have to go through in order to prep the nuts for human consumption

https://web.extension.illinois.edu/cfiv/homeowners/991002.html

I sincerely doubt that I will ever do all of that ^^^^^  Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, 

I saw my Doctor and she adjusted my medication. Unfortunately Rite Aide didn't have it in stock so I have been doubling up on what I have until I get the 500mgs I need. Im still short 100mgs. I called Rite Aide and they said it would be in today. Just doubling up in the past 2 days I already feel better.

@Bird mama What are you planning to do with all those walnuts? Do you let the squirrels eat them or do just rake them and compost them?

@LindaLatte Hope your portable phone charger works, I really need to get one myself. Isn't it funny 20 years ago everyone had a pager and now everyone has a cell, what would we do without them?

@cerb I had no idea goats ate weeds? I knew they ate overgrown grass but weeds never. Enjoy your BBQ and corn on the cobb, I love COB, with lots of butter and hot sauce and lemon, yumm, now Im craving it! Enjoy

Everyone have a great day! Felicia

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

Hi Felicia @hsawaknow  So many fall that the squirrels can't keep up with them.  I put them with the lawn waste each week.  

Glad the doctor adjusted your medication and Rite Aid is expecting to have them in stock soon.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It has been a hectic day for me. 

We got back home yesterday afternoon. My DH is doing better & I am on the tired side.  It was a nice drive back home & I took my time with the driving.

The weather is hot, but 70's by Wed. & maybe some rain which we could use.

I just hung out 2 loads of laundry this morning and then drove to our local clinic to make an appointment for my DH to see a GP on Friday and then get a chest X-Ray.

This afternoon we got a few groceries & I picked up the mail.  It was mostly junk mail. Nothing exciting for sure.  Right now I don't need any kind of excitement.

Supper was meatloaf, baked potato and green beans. Thank goodness my DH has an appetite again and he only lost 3#. 

I hope that Jean's procedure went well today. 

Bird Mama, the leaves are dropping like crazy, but I don't know how many walnuts are on the ground. Nothing like you have.

Hugs to all of you.