Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Saturday, July 2nd

I didn't see a thread so here it goes.

Everyone's prayers worked.  The service was absolutely beautiful.  I delivered my speech calmly and sincerely (in under 2 mins, lol).  My voice cracked once near the end and I smiled at the group and held up an index finger as if to say, gimme a second.  Members of the congregation said, it's okay baby and that relaxed me and I was able to have a strong finish.  

There were some coworkers there in the back of the church that I didn't originally see and when I finished speaking they were there with their arms outstretched.  I walked in a dignified manner into their arms and we all cried.

It was beautiful and I think Ruth was pleased.

I just had a protein shake and at some nature vally nut crisps (my usual breakfast).  My tummy was nervous this morning, so I didn't bother eating before the service.

I will give it a couple of hours and then go get a pizza.  Right now I am sitting here thinking about maybe doing the lawn mowing.  Maybe, lol.

I still have tomorrow and Monday to get it done.  The front didn't grow much, the back did a bit better.  Folks around here are going to be fireworks crazy and I don't really want dried out, hay looking grass on my property, we've had little rain and accidental fireworks fires are a real possibility this weekend.

So how are you doing today?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Saturday, July 2nd

Hey Bird - Looks like it's just you and me. What say you forget the pizza and we go someplace for lunch & drinks?  Cat Wink

Glad to hear the service went well.

Last night I took my girls for a drive to Walmart where I picked up a few essentials, then picked up a pizza for me. With the fireworks (which are illegal in this town - but we have 3-4 fireworks stores so people shoot them off anyway) I don't think the dogs will want to venture out in the next couple of days, so I thought I'd take them out while I can. 

No special plans for today - just homework and reading in the pool. I want to try the new Chuy's Tex-Mex that just opened last week, but it's in the major shopping area, and I think it's a good idea to avoid crowded places this weekend, given the state of the world.

I'll check in later - have a blessed day, everyone!

Honored Contributor

Hello all, and thanks @Bird mama for the start. Sounds like the service was lovely and that you did a beautiful job. I am glad there were other co-workers attending as well. I'm sure Ruth was pleased. You are a good friend.

We are getting rain and have been since around 8:30 this morning, supposedly lasting through early Monday AM, so we have less danger of fireworks fires. However it does make for a less than stellar weekend for getting anything done outdoors this weekend. Hubby doesn't get many long weekends so this would have been a good one for working on getting the posts mounted on the deck.

We are just having a lazy day for ourselves, although I will have to run to the store for a couple items.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. Waves to all...

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  So glad our prayers worked, and you did well at the service, Bernie.  Hope you enjoy your day whatever you chose to do.

Hi Arlene.  Glad you were able to get out yesterday.  The county animal shelter is offering lots of freebie's to people who adopt this weekend.  Apparently, they get a huge influx of animals when the fireworks start going on top of the "monsoon" rains (very heavy thunderstorms).  The idea is to make room in the animal shelter for those pets who run away during those noisy times.  Hope you get your homework done and have plenty of time to relax.

Sorry the rain is putting a crimp into your weekend, snicks, but I hope you enjoy relaxing and quietly celebrating.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, twinny (glad you got a pretty good report from your doctors), Essie, Marijane, Susan, Charlene (hope you aren't too sore today), Rosa, butterfly, meallen, LindaR., Barbara, Karen, Gayle, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

I was disappointed in the new hospice pharmacy delivery.  They called around 8:00 pm to say that they would deliver DH's new medicine between 9:00 and 9:30.  I thought that would be okay since DH usually has his sleeping pill around 9:30.  Anyway, 9:30 came and went, and I decided to give him his other pill.  Then, they called to say they would be here around 10:00.  I was just putting DH into the bed when they arrived.  I guess I'll be trying the new pill tonight.  It certainly has some strange possible side effects including "sleep driving".  I think that is a rare side effect, but.....

DH slept pretty well last night, and I went for a walk early while he went back to sleep.  Came home, and he was still in bed.  But, he made a major mess again.  I ended up giving him his shower before breakfast rather than after to help getting him cleaned up.  He is very sleepy again today, and I don't understand why since he was awake at the "club" yesterday.  Oh well.....

I have been pretty busy with trying to get things done around here, and I am feeling good about my efforts.  Not that I'm patting myself on the back or anything, but I need to do some positive "self talk" once and a while.  LOL

The hospice volunteer is on vacation this weekend, so no one is coming here today.  But, I have a caregiver coming tomorrow when I plan to go to church and the gym.  .

Guess I should get back to the laundry now.  Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. I'm glad the service went well; Ruth should be pleased.

Arlene--Fireworks can really upset pets. We don't have a formal fireworks display here but individuals can buy them and set them off.

Snicks--Sorry the rain is hampering any outdoor plans including work made possible by long weekends.

Linda--Sorry you are having problems with the hospice pharmacy delivery service. You might want to look that drug up at drugs.com to see what the side effects might be. I do hope you are able to get out for service and the gym.

The day was sunny but we are expecting the possibility of a big rain on the 4th, so I decided to take advantage of the sun and go to the city to get my nails done as it had been five weeks. I was also in the mood to just get out for a relaxing drive and was concerned that the coming rain might create problems. I also went into Lowes to see if they had a certain plant I wanted. No purchases were made despite being in a mall, stopping at Lowes and going past Kohls.

Remember the Japanese outlook for decluttering? If you don't love it, give it away? This is one reaction to it:

https://www.onekingslane.com/live-love-home/marie-kondo-book-declutter/

Then there is this comic approach to it:

declutter.jpg

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, it was a pleasure to pray for you.  Ruth was looking down at you with great joy.  Your post brought tears to my eyes.  Mom passed away 4 months ago today.

FHG, fireworks are illegal here too, but numerous stands.  Only sparklers & snakes are legal.  We do have it nice fireworks show at one of our local parks.  Dh & I go to a nearby church as it is not crowded, easy to get in & a breeze to get out.  We take our mopeds so it is even easier.

Jean, I love the Japanese way of decluttering.  Have fun in the city today.

LindaL, so sorry about more bad messes & the pharmacy being late again.  Yes, my Dr. report was pretty good.  No dairy products is a difficult diet though.

SNICK'S, I am sorry for your heavy rains.

Since I went to bed early last night, I was up early to enjoy the AMS chat.  I just got up from a 3 hour nap.  I can't do it all anymore.

I emailed my DD to ask her if I can eat eggs & a different kind of milk per Bird Mama's   .  No need to call my nurse as my DD graduated with a double major (nursing & nutritional science).    She said I can eat eggs, soy milk, coconut milk & almond milk. YIPPEE!   I will be checking things out tomorrow at the grocery stores.  I need to watch for high sugar.

CERB, I did read your post & am very sorry about your terrible tumble.  Praying for a good recovery.

Dh & I are going to the car show at our local Dairy Queen tonight.  Too bad that I am on a no dairy products diet!  

It has been very nice this week.  It should be great until next Wednesday when it will be hot again.  We got 1/2" of rain a few days ago which we needed.

Hugs to all of you.

Honored Contributor

@twinny70

Some form of dairy is the reason I am still alive.  If I was told to cut out all dairy I would tell my doctor, just shoot me.

You live in a state known for it's cheese.  Bless your heart that you have to avoid all dairy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@twinny70

Some form of dairy is the reason I am still alive.  If I was told to cut out all dairy I would tell my doctor, just shoot me.

You live in a state known for it's cheese.  Bless your heart that you have to avoid all dairy.

Bird, I was going to treat myself to some wonderful Baby Swiss yesterday.  Yes, living in the dairy state will be a rough diet for sure.  Like my DD said potluck tomorrow will be full of butter, milk, cheese & cream.  Right now I am trying to limit fresh fruits & veggies which I love too. 

I got my 4 piece LG set yesterday.  It is a winner for sure.  This was my 2nd QVC order this year.  But I did have fun at JCP & Kohl's.

Honored Contributor

@twinny70

Okay, so I will admit I've been scattered this week.  You can have NO dairy and you must limit your fruits and veggies.

What in hell is left?  Can you have bread?

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@twinny70

Okay, so I will admit I've been scattered this week.  You can have NO dairy and you must limit your fruits and veggies.

What in hell is left?  Can you have bread?

Bird Mama, it is tricky.  I made a red grape & watermelon salad for tomorrow.  The hot dish is harder as most of them have milk, cream soups, butter & cheese.  I am browning hamburger, onion.  Adding sliced potatoes, French style green beans & tomato soup. Praying for the best.  I can have bread & rolls dry.  Today I ventured & put a little SF apricot jam on a piece of toast.  Oh, limited spices & I like pepper.  

I will survive  & don't want a pity party.  Boo Hoo!  It is a good thing that I have a good sense of humor.  Thinking about food makes me hungry.  

The car show was fun.