Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Saturday, December 5th

Hello fellow shoppers,

It was fairly foggy around here when I opened the curtains and blinds this morning. 

It's warming up little by little, so I see exterior illumination installation in my immediate future.

The appliance repair company that is sub contracted by the gas company called me to confirm my appointment on Monday for the washer.  I said, so my appointment is anytime between 8 and noon?  The lady said, anytime between 8 and 1 pm.

Geez, glad I took an entire vacation day.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Saturday, December 5th

Bernie--It is a good thing I double-checked before starting the thread. We had severe fog here this morning with a weather alert issued about it plus possible icing on bridges. Anyone want to place a bet on when the washer repair person will arrive on Monday? It is good that you took the entire day off.

This is what I had prepared to post:

Good morning, shopping friends. It is a beautiful sunny day with temps expected to reach around 50 today. Now, this is an acceptable Winter! If this Winter continues like this, I may not need to use my new Dennis Basso upcoming TSV coat.

I've been going through mail and opening some packages that arrived at the Post Office instead of the house as requested. I'm now trying out one. I got that individual mini-brewer Keurig that is no longer available. The box was tremendous in size as it contained the Keurig, the k-cup organizer and also all the bonus k-cups.

I purchased this only because I'm starting to switch over to decaf products in the evening. I still prefer my regular coffee maker and will use it for all my caffeine I need to drink before dinner. I really  have a bad caffeine habit. I can easily down 10 cups a day. I had tried one of these  mini-brewers about 3 years ago but the coffee tasted like water with a hint of coffee. This one, so far, with the initial cup I'm drinking seems to be better. It does take time to brew, so my regular coffee maker seems to beat it on that aspect as I can grab a cup of coffee before it finishes brewing and do so in a much shorter time than the Keurig.

I also received from Amazon the ekobrew stainless steel filter so I can use my own coffee in the Keurig. Time will tell how this will work out. I did order the red Keurig but it looks more like orange to me.

I cancelled the Monday appointment with the orthopedic, as he said to do that if the cortisone shot resulted in my having far less pain. I have had some in the past two days but it has been minimal. Good-bye appointment. I've also been sleeping much better!

I don't need the Wen TSV. I like Wen but I have a sufficient stash. There is no need to add to it. 

I have no big plans for today except to see what I can discover to do around the house. Trust me, there is much to do!

Have a great day. If you shop, shop wisely.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Just what I need---a drone with a gps installed so if it gets out of sight, you just hit "home," and the drone comes home to you. The sky will be so cluttered with these things that Amazon will not be able to use the proposed drone system to deliver packages, not that I ever wanted a drone to deliver a package.

shopping.JPG

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat

Because I haven't educated myself about drones delivery packages, I am having visions of things falling out of the sky and landing on cars and people in motion.

This is too Star Trek and Buck Rogers for me :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

Hi ladies! I don't think I've posted in the shopaholics thread but it sure seems relevant to my interests Smiley Wink. In all seriously - I waited too long to start my Christmas shopping and trying to do it all at once is a bit stressful on the wallet!! Plus - WHY do all of the vendors come out with their best gift sets when I'm supposed to be buying for other people??? The IT Cosmetics brush set is calling my name but I'm trying to restrain myself! No idea if I can hold out or not. The WEN TSV is mildly interesting but I'm just not feeling the WEN Love like I used to - thinking of switching to something else for awhile just to see how my hair responds so I'll probably resist. If I would want any set it would be the rice set, and the unscented thrown in there makes it much less appealing. I have no room for unscented things in my life.

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I can't imagine drones delivering packages. Why would a passenger airplane need to worry about that? Bird intake into the engines is enough of a problem already. I know the drones aren't supposed to be in certain airspace but if so, then that limits delivery options. UPS and FedEx works just fine.

ctinaw--Welcome to the thread. Some of those gift sets are great. I just opened a box from L'Occitaine where I bought some things on Black Friday. It had a nice gift box of products I like at a great price, so I gifted myself. In addition, the purchase permitted me to buy up  to 3 or $40  gift sets for $14 each. Two of those will be used by me for travel over the year and one is for my hair stylist. I really love 613 and have plenty of it plus the other. I would also be tempted to trythe new set that has the unscented in it but the temptation really isn't strong enough to overcome resistance.

Speaking of "unscented" things. I wore the 613 EDP yesterday to work. Personally after an hour, I don't smell it. In the afternoon, one of our outspoken middle school students asked me if I was wearing perfume. When I said I was, she replied, "It stinks.".

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning!  Thanks for getting us started Bernie. I really don't like those long appointment "opportunities", but I guess there is no way around it.  Hope the fog burns off, and you have a good day.

Glad you are sleeping better and in less pain, Jean.  Great that you can do without another medical appointment.  Knowing how you feel about winter, I hope you don't get tons of use from your new coat, but winter is young.  Hope the Keurig works out, and you enjoy the coffee.  I held off on buying a Keurig for ages, but I do like the one I purchased.  It is sort of fun exploring all the different coffees, etc.  I found that some that I don't care for in the morning, are good later in the day.  Mine is faster than using my regular Mr. Coffee, and a lot less mess, but I still use the Mr. Coffee in the morning if I am not rushed.  Taking care of DH in the morning is time-consuming to say the least.  

Welcome to our new poster -- please feel free to join our no-bash thread.  There are many nice ladies here.

I am so sorry for all the issues you have been having lately, Arlene.  Between your pets, house repairs, etc., etc., it must feel overwhelming.  I am praying things turn around.  Glad you have been able to send things to the troops and do your other kind deeds.  By the way, my plumber is licensed, bonded, etc., and charges less than the local plumbing company.  He told me that what they charge people is way more than what they give the plumbers, and he comes out ahead even when he charges me less.  So, I think the plumber who came to your house was not too honest.

Waves to Kathleen, twinny, snicks, Susan, Marijane, LindaR, Barbara, Charlene, Rosa, Karen, pinky ann, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

As I may have mentioned, DGD received her TSV computer, and she is loving it.  Seems like she will be finishing high school (home schooling) even earlier than expected this spring.  Wow!  She will not be going to the community college until Fall.  Meanwhile, oldest DGS got the information about the classes he needs to graduate from college this spring.  And, apparently things are going quite well at Macy's.  He did not like it there at first, but now seems to enjoy it.  And, he has applied to work there after the holidays.  According to DD, he does a good job selling in the men's department, and he likes the idea that his schedule can be worked around his classes.  

Today is the holiday party for middle DGS' Army Reserve unit, and DD and my SIL will be attending the lunch at a restaurant.  DD said that he is working a lot on being able to pass the PT test needed to stay in the Reserves.  Meanwhile, he has registered for the spring semester at the community college.  

My SIL was really helped by the special treatment he had last month, and the neurologist was very pleased with the results.  Now he is totally off many of the medicines he was taking, and going to the gym regularly.  That is great news since he is very heavy.

DH and I will be gong to a holiday party for my OLLI classes this afternoon.  And, I have my regular laundry and financial review to do.  Much to my surprise, the printer was not working this morning.  I tried and tried, and finally changed the ink cartridge.  Now, all is well.  I don't understand since there was no "low ink" message or whatever.  At least, I am "back in business."

Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

BIRD MAMA, It was foggy here early this a.m. but it is nice & sunny now with highs in the upper 40's.  I hate waiting for a repairman to come here.  The microwave guy was earlier than expected & that made me happy to get my microwave back in working order in about 2 days as it is used at least once each & every day.  JEAN, I am glad you are doing better & also sleeping better.  No drone for me either.  I only drink one cup off coffee with breakfast & I really do like the Black & Decker pot I bought last Christmas.  Enjoy the 50's too.  So far fall has been wonderful.    CTINAW, Welcome to join us anytime.  I don't use unscented things either & I like fruity/sweet smelling things.  Probably because DH & I are both on SF diets.  It has been somewhat of a grueling week for both of us.  We both had dental appts. on Weds. that went well with DH only needing to get one tooth fixed next Weds.  Then we had the funeral for the 100 y/o lady.  Nice luncheon & fellowship with her family afterwards.  She had 1 DS & 2 DD's & they all 3 gave her twin grandchildren.  So the 6 pall bearers were all twins.  We had another funeral on Thurs. & then went to see our DGS play baritone in his band concert that evening.  It was so good to get away from home once again.  I'll be back as the phone seems to be ringing off the hook for one reason or another today.

Esteemed Contributor

So far I have spoken to my MIL, two of mom's old neighbors & a telemarketing guy that I hung up on.  I have had kind of a shopping week too.  On Weds. I bought mom a nice collage' picture frame that holds 12 4x6 photos.  I put it together early Thursday morning & it looks very nice.  We spent Thurs. night at our DD's family's house as we didn't want to hit a deer on the way home from the band concert.  I shopped yesterday in Madison & had fun at JCP.  I bought an eternity scarf in black/silver & I hope that I like it as I a not a scarf person for myself.  I also bought a long snuggly nightie that was wonderful last night.  Not hot like I thought that it might be.  Our DGD is only 10 but a very good reader.  She wanted Treasure Hunters Danger Down The Nile, by James Patterson.  She also loves purple & sparkly so I hope to find her a nice warm sweater.  I did get gift cards for our DC & their spouses but I want something nice that they can each unwrap.  Gotta run again as I just got a call from mom's caretakers.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Bernie - Thank you for starting us today, hope your weather improves.  We started out at 21 degrees this morning, I think we are supposed to hit 50 today, I am not complaining, it is very sunny out now, and I could take this weather until next spring.  Last year this time it was freezing out and we did have snow.   Someone commented we should take bets on when the repair man will show up - I say 12:50 pm, I say this because this is how my repair appts. go.  Hope you don't have to wait too long.

Jean - Hope you like your Keurig, we have one that was a gift, we don't use it because I don't have the counter space to put it out and leave it there.   I hope our winters is not bad and you (don't take this wrong) don't get to wear your new coat.  Hope you find things to do around the house, I have a bunch of things to do, but don't feel like doing them.

ctinaw - Welcome and stop by anytime.  I have done too much shopping for me this year, I do have Christmas gifts for others to buy.

LindaL - Glad to hear that DGD loves the computer and DGS likes this job, sometimes you have to work at the job awhile to see if you really like it.  Hope DH is doing well today.  Also glad to SIL is doing better.

Twinny - You have had an action packed week, sorry about the funerals. 

Well, I have procrastinated enough on the computer, I do have things I need to get done around here.  I hope everyone has a great afternoon.