Esteemed Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Saturday, December 14th)

Good Morning/Afternoon!  It is sunny and fairly warm here today.  They are predicting much cooler weather starting on Monday, but no rain.  Hope the weather is okay where you live.

I managed to get the 40 pound bag of salt into my water softener this morning, and then I pulled some weeds in the alley behind my house.  Ended up with a lot of little pieces of weeds stuck to my sweatshirt and pants.  Hopefully, they will come off in the wash.  

My hospice patient's son said it was fine for me to come 15 minutes early today, so I should be able to get tot he OLLI party on time.  

The replacement portable charger from Amazon came yesterday, and it charged just fine.  Now I just need to get to the UPS store to mail back the defective one.  That probably won't happen until Monday.  I don't want to make a special trip this morning, and by the time the party is over, they will be closed.  Fortunately, Amazon gives you plenty of time to return things.

I hope Jean likes her hair and enjoys lunch with her friend.  

Waves to all of our posters and readers, and please post if you have a chance.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. I saw a little of AM Style, but nothing called my name.  Thank goodness.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Saturday, December 14th)

Linda L, our December weather has been mild with lots of 😢😢😢 & a dusting of snow on Wednesday morning.  In reply about how long our dd has been married.  It was 23 years in August.  They met in her frosh year of college and dated for 5 years at which point she graduated from college.  Christopher was born 5 years later.  Then Drew came along 2 years later & Emily 2 years later.  

fressa, we bought our 2nd Subaru  on November 1.  We traded in our 2015 Forester for the Subaru Forester Sport which we love.  We now know how to use more bells and whistles.  It's great having push button start & headlights that automatically come on at the proper time and they even "dim" at the proper time.

Jean,I hope that you had a good salon experience and a good lunch out.

Bird  Mama, starting tomorrow  you should be getting 8 days of 🌞🌞🌞 & a few days of colder weather.  I am going to love it except we aren't going to have a White Christmas.  Darn!

Esteemed Contributor

This week has been busy.  My DH broke off a tooth on Sunday night eating peanuts.  Luckily he was able to get into the dentist on Monday afternoon &  it could be filled. I thought that it was going to have to be extracted.  Still a $187 bill.

On Wednesday we went to see our favorite little polka band.  A lady has been coming solo and dancing by herself for a few months.  I waved at her & she came over and asked me if I was a twin. She grew up kitty corner across the street from where we now live & she said that she came & ice skated with us at the grade school that we lived across the street from.  I told her that we love people that just drop in on us, so I hope that she does it.  She is a widow & having a sad time of It.  She always has such pretty hair and nicely dressed.  She was a retired hair stylist.  She is has a twin brother.

On Thursday we went out for lunch at a brewery in town with friends.  The Thursday lunch special is either a shrimp basket,  wings basket or riblet basket for $5.00, but we all got it for $4.50 senior citizen discount.  Very good too.  Two of us had shrimp and the other two had riblets.

Yesterday we went to the bank to get some Christmas $$ out only to find out that we had already made a withdrawal for this quarter and  there would be a $25 penalty.  Back went the $$.  I put something in the lockbox & enjoyed a cup of hot cider.  We rarely make a withdrawal, but we made it when we bought our new Subaru.  In January we are going to make it into a regular savings account instead of the Golden Passbook account.  

Then we went to the senior center & played Christmas BINGO.  They had a 7 page booklet of different ways to play BINGO.  We are having Christmas lunch here next Saturday & always play BINGO & Scattergories for prizes.  As we were pulling into the garage  a car pulled in behind us.  My walking encyclopedia childhood friend.  She is fun to be around. She left at suppertime. Then my DH & I went to Culver's for supper.  I was all decorated for Christmas so the house is in a festive mood.

Hugs to all of you.

Honored Contributor

My sister always talks about shopping at Marshall's and I know people who like to shop HomeGoods so I temporarily lost mind Woman Very Happy and decided to visit a combination Marshall's/HomeGoods store this afternoon.

Even before I discovered online shopping with JCP back in 1980, lol, I can't recall being a browser as a child.  If my Ma told me I could have a Barbie doll, I would go to the Barbie aisle, compare every single Barbie in that particular 'model' (i.e. Malibu Barbie) and then say, okay, I'm good, we can go.  FYI - no 2 Barbies look alike Heart

I drove to the Marshall's/HomeGoods and had a hard time finding a parking spot.  Hey, it's the holiday season, right?  I went into the store and immediately knew this was not the place for me.  I don't know if these are like outlet stores or what.  Not criticizing the quality of the merchandise or anything, it's just you get what happens to be in stock at the time.

That no workie for me Woman LOL  Because I'm a glutton for punishment I drive across the road to the local 2 story mall.  I figure hey, look at the decorations.  I went into JCP looking for (it wasn't critical or anything) a particular pair of Isotoner gloves.  There was one pair in black left in the size I wanted.  Since I thought it could be a spontaneous gift for someone and since I don't buy the last of anything (unless maybe bird food - it gets competitive) I left JCP and headed over to Macy's, way yonder on the other side of the mall.

I was on the second level near the staircase when I felt immediately warm, lighheaded and queasy.  You know how it feels when you don't know if you are going to faint or toss your cookies?.  I stopped dead and calculated how quickly I could hike across the mall to my car outside of JCP then said, okay, unzip your coat, removed your scarf - you're overheated.

I was looking for something home related there after checking out their Isotoner selection (didn't have what I wanted) and that's when I realized I was at the ladies Macy's and the Men/Home Macy's was elsewhere in the mall.

Jesus on the mainline Woman Very Happy By then cologne, food court smells and all the holiday cinnamon smells was getting to me.  I made it to the other Macy's - didn't have any acrylic tumblers in sets (probably not fancy enough for Macy's).

I hot footed back to JCP and wow, when I stepped out of the mall into the fresh air I felt revived enough to pop into a Kohl's on the way home.

That's when I got a headache Woman Happy  Place was crowded and no they didn't have the acrylic tumblers for me or those darn Isotoner gloves.

I was glad to get home and I made myself some Campbell's Healthy Choice chicken and rice soup after I took my BP (mine runs low). I think I needed to eat because I feel fine now. 

The older I get the more I shop like a heat seeking missile.  Online shopping is so tidy and organized - I never see a mess or have to deal with people when I shop online.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, I swear that I change my clothes a dozen times a day.  I can never be at a comfy temp.  I even change during the night once or twice.  The cold weather helps me a lot because I don't have to have the A/C on.  I enjoy going to a mall where there are lots of places to sit down and people watch.  I am looking forward to going to the mall on Monday when we are in the Capitol City.  I like going to Home Goods and Marshals when we are in the Madison area.  It's in a  outdoor shopping style mall.  

Next Monday after I get done shopping at the outlet mall in our hometown for some Christmas goodies for our Christmas lunch next Saturday with a friend, we are heading to a nearby town to get cheese and have it shipped to our ds and ddil. Then on to Madison for some mall shopping and then on to our dgc's band concert.

I just got done talking to our dsil.  He is planning to bring 2 of our dgc & meet up with us before the band concert for dinner.  He is very sad about what's going on. He has been in our lives for 28 years so we want to keep in contact with him.  Christmas will be difficult for all of us this year.

At least the house looks nice and we have wonderful friends to get us through it.

Supper is steak on the grill and cauliflower instead of a potato.

Next Wednesday I get my next infusion.  Keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

Honored Contributor

@twinny70   Your SIL is family and will always be family.  He's the father of your grandkids.  Just because your daughter's divorcing him doesn't have to change your relationship with him.  I've been through it in my family - it's a little different but it's workable, I promise.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

I finally got my Christmas cards done and ready for the mail on Moday. I'm so late this year. (actually I wasn't planning on sending any to other than the immediate family but that changed yesterday.) I still have to run to the Hallmark store to get the "special" cards. Boy, I'm dreading how crowed and expensive that is going to be. I'm going to try to do that tomorrow. 

I received most of my Kohl's orders for the Christmas shopping I did on line. I discovered that they had listed 2 items sent and received that I did not get. I had an on line chat with customer service and they assured me that it would be here tonight. I think it's probably with the other gift that seems to be sitting at the same stop. I really don't have patience for these fowl ups but will wait until Monday before I get crazy.

Twinny, I'm finally learning all the bells and whistles in my Subaru. I love the conveneince of the car adjusting the lights and warning me about lanes and objests. It is such a help. What a relief to have a car with "eyes" in those tight parking spots.

Believe it or not I received a third recall on my Subaru. I call the Service dept right away to have them do all 3 on the same day. Thankfullly, my husband will take a vacation day to handle it for me. My health issues make it difficult for me to have a lenghty appoinment anywhere. 

I finally made a hair appointment for color and cut the first week of Jan. It's been a year for the color. I let the blonde grow out and my natural dark brown grow in. Unforunately it brought some grey with it so that wasn't nice. LOL  It will be good to get back into the foutine of coloring it again.

Hope you all have a good evening/weekend.