Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Nov 21, Wednesday)

Barbara @sydsgma1  Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat  I think I will show the Slanket thing to my sister and see if she would like one.  

Honored Contributor

@twinny70  The dollar store is a great place to find some nice decor.  I'm glad your husband had an easier time giving himself the injection.  I remember, many years ago, when my maternal grandma was told she needed to take insulin shots.  If I recall correctly my eldest sister gave them to her.  Grandma never wanted to learn how.

Esteemed Contributor

Barbara--I'm glad Sydnie is enjoying herself and has a promising future in L.A.  I know you take much pride in her and her accomplishments.

Bernie--I always took the boiled egg and cracked it on the end with the space inside and then rolled it or gently cracked it all over with a knife. I then would start peeling from the big end and the shell would adhere to the film covering the egg.

Twinny--Enjoy your Thanksgiving meal out. I'm also glad that DH apparently is having an easier time with the needle and insulin injection.

I didn't sleep well last night so ater getting back from the city the cat and I curled up in bed to read. 

I ordered that Berkshire cape to keep me warm in the house.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon/Evening!  Thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  I used to have inconsistent results with hard boiled eggs, and then purchased an "egg cooker" here.  Sort of like K376965, but a previous version and brand.  It has been just wonderful for me.  I got in the habit of making hard boiled eggs for DH, and I have continued eating them to make sure I get some protein with breakfast.

The slanket-like HSN offering looks very nice.  What color would you be purchasing?  Purple perhaps?

Hi Charlene -- sounds like you and your DD did a great job on grocery shopping for Thanksgiving.  I like Carl's Jr. when I am out and about at lunch time.  The cookies sound good.

Glad you are able to take it a little easier for Thanksgiving, Barbara.  

Good that you got your grocery shopping and dropped off donations, Jean.  Sorry you did not sleep well, but happy you were able to relax and read when you got home.  Enjoy the cape. 

You would laugh at my around the house outfit when it is chilly -- I wear a long-sleeve shirt (usually cotton turtleneck), a sweatshirt or flannel shirt, and then a Cuddl Dud's cardigan.  At least I keep warm and don't need to turn up the heat. Someone pointed out that gas heat isn't too expensive, which is true.  I still feel bad about spending a lot to heat the house when just adding extra clothes or blanket works.  And, I spend quite a bit on electricity for AC during the warmer months (which is a lot of months here.)

Happy your DH is getting better with the insulin needles, twinny.  I just heard a tragic story on the radio about young people who didn't have good or any insurance, and skimped on their insulin.  Apparently, insulin has gone way up in price, at least the type they were using.  Enjoy your meal tomorrow.

The senior lunch program went well, but I was one busy lady.  There were so many people that some of the volunteers didn't get any turkey (we ran out after serving all of our guests).  Fortunately, they saved a plate for me, which will be my dinner.

I made a quick trip to Wal-Mart, and it really wasn't too bad.  Fortunately, I didn't need much.  After much debate, I talked myself out of the candle TSV yesterday.  That was a hard one for me, but should not have been so.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone sleeps well!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Just saw this on FB, not sure if it works, but....

It turns out boiling your eggs with baking soda in the pot of water can actually make the shell easier to peel. According to Prevention, the method works by raising the pH levels of the eggs—gotta love science!—which practically makes the shell slide right off (talk about a holiday miracle). To try it out for yourself, all you need to do is add a 1/2 teaspoon of the kitchen staple to a quart of water, then boil your eggs like you normally would.

Trusted Contributor

Amongst the lot of us, I bet we can master the best way to boil and peel eggs!  Linda -  they are a good, inexpensive source of protein.  I too, need to pay attention to the amount of protein I eat for breakfast.  Glad to hear that the lunch program and your trip to Walmart went well, despite being busy.  Sounds like you sure bundle up to keep warm.

We got our trip to the recycling center done and we received $29.  Not bad.  Then Tractor Supply where we picked up 4 boxes of Dentastix for the dog, and 12 bags of cat litter.  Yes, 12 bags.  We go through a lot.  Then we donated 3 bags of books to the Friends of the Library.  (Mentioning that earlier to Jean made me think of dropping off more).  Plus my DH and I only purchased 4 paperbacks while we were there.  Then we went to Walmart and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting either.  Just picked up some needed odds and ends, plus a fresh pizza that we're going to have for dinner.  

I also posted more of our vacation photos on Facebook, and baked a batch of Snickerdoodle cookies, like I had hoped to do.  Only burnt a few, lol, but the rest turned out fine.  I'll be taking a bunch of those to my Mom's house tomorrow, as they are a favorite of one of my sisters.  Feels good to have accomplished my goals for the day.