Respected Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Monday, December 7th

Happy Birthday to LindaL. You share a birthday with a lovely cousin. She is a few years younger than I am. There is a picture of me holding her as a baby. My aunt told me they didn't have a camera. My parents did. Thus that picture!

A lady at church was discussing decorating. She had an incredible number of totes of decor. She decorates to the hilt also even the bathrooms.

We put up the tree after church yesterday. A couple had commissioned an outdoor nativity. It included a dog! I don't think they are animal lovers. So I wasn't sure why they wanted a dog. Actually many years ago they were missionaries in Lebanon. Dogs are not highly regarded in the culture and calling someone a dog is an insult. She mentioned not having a camel. She collects camels and has some absolutely beautiful nativitys from all over the world.

Oh repar folks. Yes some can be creepy. I so dislike replacing stuff.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Afternoon!  Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone!  While my birthday hasn't been too exciting, it is much better than last year when we discovered a major plumbing issue the day before.  That was a bummer.  

I took DH to his physical therapy appointment this morning, and it was very interesting.  She will try eight sessions (twice a week for four weeks), and then we will see if it should continue.  I got some tips on how to dress DH, and also how to help him with getting up and down from the sofa, chairs, etc.  Really, really nice lady, and obviously has plenty of experience with dementia patients.  Her DH is a firefighter, and she told me not to hesitate to call them if DH falls, etc.  Much better just to help him up rather than deal with two people with issues.  I had figured that out myself, but I still try to handle as much as possible by myself.

Sorry I have a phone call, I will be back.

Trusted Contributor

Happy Birthday LindaL.....I hope you will have a nice day.     I hope the PT will work out  for your DH and the tips you received will work out well for you on his care.

Chatlene I will keep your mom in my thoughts and prayers.  Sorry your DH went ahead and decorated the tree...we still don't have ours yet.

I agree Bernie some repair guys can be creepy. Seven yrs old doesn't seen old for a washer to me.  I had gotten a new w/d about 2yrs ago after about 13 yrs..the washer wias still chugging along but the dryer had been fixed a few times and needed repairs again so I figured the heck with it time got new ones.

Kathleen the pix's of the carriage ride were nice....how long do the rides take ....the carriage with the wood on the sides  with the garland and wreaths looked great.

Twinny glad that your mom is doing ok and nothing wrong.  Hope you had a nice lunch with your friends....I have to admit I do decorate a lot .  I have not been to a store yet to do any shopping I have ordered all on line.....everybody gives me a list and most places have free shipping etc so I avoid the crowds.

Linda R a few years ago Cardinal Dolan from St Patrick's Catherdal in NYC decided to have a dog placed in the manger with the other animals...it was the 1st time it was done there and I think he has a place there every year now.  

iT's been nice here past few days it almost smells like spring...in the mornings I hear the birds singing....really weird to be this "warm" and I saw on the weather channel it may go into the 60's later in the week......not complaining.

Have a nice rest of the day and again Happy Birthday Linda.....I also have a dear friend up in Maine who shares the same birthday as you.          Marijane

Honored Contributor

Hi to everyone, got to keep this short, so will hit the highlights, lol.

birthday card for nat.jpg

Happy Birthday Linda!

birdmama, yep, trust your instincts re: the repair guy. Gut feelings are rarely wrong.

cerb, so sorry about your mom. Hope she makes a good recovery. Wow, you have had a busy few days.

I had a dental apptmt. this morning, then have been out raking in the back yard, hope to finish it tomorrow. Gotta run. Waves to everyone, sorry I don't have time to respond to each person........

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Charlene: hugs to you dear lady.
Valued Contributor

LindaL, Have a very happy birthday!! Best of luck with DH's physical therapy.

Charlene, I hope your mom's mass turns out to be nothing serious. It's hard not to think the worst, but I hope you'll try. Prayers for you both.

Bernie, Lots of smaller appliance stores will carry at least a few models of the more basic appliances. There's one that's my go to, that always steers me away from the "fancier" models, which I just admire anyway, and toward the tried and true. Good luck with your purchase.

It's been a nice few days since I've posted. We had a family dinner last night and I got to mass in the morning. I got the things done that I wanted to accomplish today, so I'm happy with that. I've not been online much, which is likely how I got as far as I have! lol It's time to get supper together, but I wanted to stop in and wish everyone a good week! pinky

Respected Contributor

Hi girls! OK, I'll do as well as I can with FOUR kitties lying on  my chest and arms...

Happy birthday, LindaL - hope you're doing something special for yourself today.

Bird, I can relate to not always being able to read signals from men well. In fact, I still remember the awkward ness of being about 12 or so, and was schlepping a shopping cart (the kind you pull) hoo]me from the supermarket, where I had done the shopping for my mother.  A boy about my age offered to help, as the cart was really loaded down, and I d idn't know if I should tip him, or if he was flirting!  Anyway, when I have a repair person coming for the first time I make sure Autumn is with me; she's very protective, and when they hesitate to come in I assure them she's friendly unless she senses that I'm threatened.

So, i just got a call; another handyman is coming to look at the air ducts tomorrow.  I didn't get around to calling the community college as I overslept, but we'll see what he says before I do.

I have a HE washing  machine that works great and saves me on electricity and water, but I hate the fact that after a while the laundry starts smelling funky and you have to do something to get rid of the odor.  I try to remember to pust a scoop of baking sod a in from tme to time; that takes care of it.

I was on the phone with Amazon for quite a while; the third defective Kindle is going back, and this time I want a refund. I'm really annoyed - when I first ordered it I also got the case for it, thinking I was getting a good product (the Kindle), but they won't give me a refund for it because it's been longer than 30 days.  I haven't been very happy with Amazon lately...

Anyway, I guess I'd better get my new table from Aldi charged up and play with it. 

Charlene, I know you're disappoined that your husband decorated the tree, but he meant well, and you know what?  There are plenty of women (like me) wo would be sooo happy to have a husband who cared about us and tried to please us.  I envy you.  Wow, and a son who sounds like he's really special too...

My mother used to go whole-hog on decorating for Christmas, but no one knew the hell behind the scenes; my earliest memory of Chrhistmas was of her beating me with the Christmas tree until I wet my pants and the tree was in pieces because somehow it was my fault she couldn't make it stand up; I was about 5-6, and wanted a real tree because I had the thought that it would somehow be magical - they wouldn't fight, my "father" wouldn't go out to the club, we'd read Christmas stories and have hot chocolate.... HA!  She made me go out in the cold like that with an aunt who was "slow" to see if the supermarket had any of those little chemically treated trees left.  So, I do no decorating at all and really hate Christmas.  I did make latke last ngiht for Hanukkah, though!

I'm so sorry for what you're gong through with your mom, twinny - you and LindaL are alwys in my prayers.

Well, my arms are falling asleep, so I'm going to have to disturb the kitties and get moving.

Have a blessed evening, everyong!

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.  Thanks again for all the birthday wishes.  It is funny, but I have known several others with my birthday, including my late (first husband's) MIL who was a twin.  I know my parents were quite upset that I was born on Pearl Harbor Day -- it was after the war and all, but still had very bad memories.  I was late, so I guess it was my fault.  But, what are you going to do? 

My friend whom I have known since we were eight years old called me out of the blue.  We rarely e-mail these days, much less talk on the phone.  But, there was plenty to share. Her DIL is expecting in April -- this will be their second boy, and her daughter has two girls -- pretty neat.

The phone stopped working a couple of times while we were talking, so after DH and I came back from lunch and the store, I called the cable company.  Very long story, but someone will be coming to "switch out" the modem tomorrow afternoon after my volunteer job.  Fortunately, I don't have to pay for the new modem.

That was quite an experience you had with the repair guy, Bernie.  I am surprised that a washer that "new" is shot.  My washer is more than 20 years old (it came with the house), and I had it repaired once several years back.  I do expect it to die sometime soon, but I have not found a good substitute.  When I check on line, it seems like people are having lots of trouble with the newer models.  And, I don't think it is that easy to find the "tried and true" type.  

Very sorry to hear about your Mom, Charlene.  I do hope this turns out to be something manageable.  Also sorry your DH decided to take away your fun of tree decorating.  I have to say that I like doing the decorating myself, but neither husband tried to take the job from me. 

Waves to Barbara, Kathleen, twinny (hope your celebration with your Mom goes well), LindaR, Marijane, snicks, pinky ann, Arlene, Jean, Karen, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

I still need to get to the store to pick up a couple prescriptions for DH, and take a walk.  Then, we will be going out to dinner -- probably Mexican.  

Have a nice evening everyone and thanks again.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Well, my Christmas decorating is done and I am pleased with what I accomplished this extended weekend. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise