Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Monday, December 20)

Good Morning,

The sun is shining in my little part of the world and it's a brisk 31 degrees outside.  I caught the local news this morning and learned it will be decent (mid 40's) and raining on Christmas Eve.  On the one hand, I'm driving to the niece in the woods house and this would be good weather for it.  On the other hand, I really really like some kind of snow for Christmas. I'll live Woman Very Happy

It's been a very long time since I've visited with this branch of the family tree and I'm feeling optimistic about it.  The parents are vaccinated and boosted and the small children are vaccinated.  My niece is incredibly excited - she misses family. 

Her sister (two years younger  - age 39) received one vaccination and refused to get the other.  Her fiance refused to get vaccinated and my niece refuses to vaccinate her 10 year old daughter.  All three of them were exposed to covid last week.  Niece tested negative, great niece was sick on Friday and still isn't 100% and fiance doesn't believe in testing.  It's anybody's guess what made great niece sick because her mother, my niece isn't having her tested.

They aren't part of the Christmas family gatherings this year.  I don't know if they will be spending any time with fiance's parents because the parents are recovering from breatkthrough covid.

Honestly I have to laugh to keep from crying.  

Christmas Eve with niece's family will be a lunchtime kind of affair.  Since it's kind of casual I will be wearing my Liz Claiborne City pants in walnut

This image is from Mercari because I can't find it on JCP.  These pants are old, I bought them when I was working.  I'm laundering them now because they have been on a hanger and got a little dusty Woman Surprised  They look nice once I press them.

I think I will wear my new blouse that I ordered in the fall from JCP

Worthington Tall Womens Split Tie Neck Long Sleeve Blouse

As far as footwear... I'm not too worried about that because we all tend to take our shoes off and leave them at the door.  We bring slippers with us, lol.

As far as jewelry goes.... I'll wear the American West picture jasper necklace that I bought it August.

American West Sterling Silver Gemstone Beaded Toggle 20" Necklace - J395759

I haven't decided on the earrings yet. 

It feels good to be planning an outfit again.  I need to wrap a few presents for my sister this week.  Everyone else gets $$$.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Monday, December 20)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  I like your outfit, and I'm happy you will be seeing at least part of your family for Christmas Eve.  It is a shame that your younger niece and family aren't taking a sensible approach to COVID.  But, I'm sure they do not respond well to any sort of criticism/advice.

I have been planning my outfits for church and my hospice deliveries since both have been happening, and it does make me happy to do so.  

As I mentioned yesterday, the neighborhood carols in the carport gathering was great.  Unfortunately, I got some more bad news later.  My friend Bev's blood count was way down, and she was not well.  So, she is in the hospital.  They started her on transfusions, and she is on the surgery schedule today.  Her close friend who told me all this doesn't know what type of surgery it might be -- perhaps just something to stop the bleeding.  I texted Bev, and she was able to text back, which made me feel a little better.  

I am trying to go through papers and get rid of all those solicitations that have been stacking up.  Some charities send things on a monthly basis or so, and I have decided that I will throw out multiples in the future.  I am also doing some cooking trying to use up some produce -- because trash day is tomorrow.  This afternoon, I will be going to the eye doctor for an extra test (just in case) for glaucoma.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Greetings to all. I decided that I will be posting here since Linda and I decided to close the Reformed Shopalics thread down. 

We have all had Covid but very mild cases. Thank goodness we are all triple vaxed because it made the illness very mild.  I was quite worried about my Dh, because he was so ill in the late summer and fall, but he did well.

Christmas will be quiet..we remain in Mn so sweet Syd will provide some entertainment. She has the best eye roll .

it is cold here today..the windchill makes it close to zero. But we will be in Az after the first of the year. 

Bernie...love your outfit.Igot rid of all my professional clothes a few years after I retired. 

i hope everyone is having a good day.🎄🎄🎄🧑🏼‍🎄🧑🏼‍🎄🌵

Respected Contributor

Linda..prayers for Bev 🙏🙏

Honored Contributor

Linda one of my favorite quotes comes from Rabbi Sacks:

“Optimism is the belief that things are going to get better. Hope is the belief that we can make things better. Optimism is a passive virtue, hope is an active one. It takes no courage to be an optimist, but it does need courage to hope.”

I think events like the neighborhood carols are hopeful and they inject positivity back into the universe and boy do we need some positivity.

I'm so sorry that Bev is in the hospital.  I know she was waiting for approval for a PET scan and maybe once they stabilize her in the hospital it will be easier to get the scan.  Having worked for an insurance company for over 35 years, they tend to put you through the mill for outpatient procedures that they cover inpatient without blinking.  I'll pray that they figure out what is going in with Bev - she's giving it all she's got Heart

Honored Contributor

Hey Barbara, it struck me over the years that corporate dress codes were becoming more casual pretty much everywhere.  When I think of how I started in the workforce with skirted suits and pant suits, sigh.  When in Rome Woman Very Happy.... I started buying slacks that could go either way (dressy/casual) depending on the top/shoes I wore with them. 

I'm old fashioned in that you can take the most casual pant (not sloppy with holes in them or anything) and immediately elevate the look if you make friends with your iron or your dry cleaners.  Same with shoes - clean them and polish up and you breathe new life into a shoe.

I've done better since I retired however there will always be some blouse that appeals to me.  

I'm so glad that your family had mild cases and are recovering.  I don't argue with the unvaccinated niece.  I held that kid over the baptismal font and clearly something didn't transfer from me to her during the sacrament 39 years ago.  

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon. Bernie: over the hills and through the woods to your niece. Your outfit looks lovely. What a lovely blouse and necklace.

I agree with the casual dressing. I am still taken aback seeing young people arrive for services in shorts. Really at least some long pants. There was a young man who held the door as I arrived. Yes in shorts in a t-shirt that was very well worn. I know he has better.

Linda: prayers for Bev. Hope she can get some resolve. As Bernie said they can get authorization in hospital easier.
Super Contributor

I have decided that I will try and post more often. Claudia's passing has reminded me that I will miss her posts and regret not chatting more often. One should never pass an opportunity to make friends however distant they may be. 

These past months have seen much loss for many people and I am so tired of all the loss. I wish to share my days (as boring as they may be to others !) I shall do so in rememberence of Claudia.

Since my last visit here I have lost 2 of my dogs...Peggy Sue and Boone. I miss them each and every day. I still have Leroy and Harold my pups however they are now 6 years old so not really pups. My avatar is Boone-my velcro dog!

I am not a spring chicken any more......more of a cranky Guinea fowl! It is just me and my Husband here at home. Kids all grown and spread all over the country. So here goes for my new attempt at posting......I hope to share more later. I do hope all of you have a nice day and I do so enjoy your posts !!

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama----I'm crazy for that blouse that you found. The entire outfit is a "keeper"!!! My clothes purchases were similar to your's in the workforce. One exception was I still needed to be suit dressed for all days except Fridays which was cusiness casual. My hubby's office kept changing the dress code yearly which drove me crazy. What an expense for everyone no matter what the dress code. There's always a few that have to take it to the extreme. We had a secretary that arrived wearing "hot pants" on summer day. Now that was interesting to watch. 

It sounds like you'll be having a fun time with your Christmas plans. I think that's the boost we all need. Enjoy yourself.  

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte--- I'll keep Bev in my prayers. Yesterday I spent the afternoon sorting thru all the charity requests and prescription receipts. I narrow it down to 6-10 charities depending on what I had given thru the year. (food banks, animal shelters, homeless selters and a few small education helps) It's only a few $$ but I believe that a lot of little $ can make a big difference to a person in need. i feel like I'm helping in some way.

Our tax firm has an early deadline to fill out the booklet and get the receipts to them. I already received a preview letter about various changes for this year. I wanted to be sure that I had all the receipts in the proper folders so I didn't have that task on top of the tax info. It sure felt good to get those tasks under control.