Honored Contributor

Shopaholics - One Day at a Time - July 1 (Wednesday)

Hello everyone,  Am I the only one who can't believe it's July 1st already?  Wow, time is just flying.

It's mostly sunny and a little cool here today. 

Anything on your agenda that you'd like to share?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Re: Shopaholics - One Day at a Time - July 1 (Wednesday)

Very hot in SoCal

Trusted Contributor

Hi ladies, thanks for starting Bernie....Hi evelyner....nice to see a new poster. I like hot weather so that sounds good to me!

Not much going on here Bernie....had a busy few days with an 30th Anny party in Brooklyn, Sat. DH cousin....then another cousin came back with us....in from California for a few days,yesterday went up to my sister in laws place who lives on a lake in Nj....and this morning had my hair cut,colored etc. Other than that nothing else is new.

Charlene so happy to hear that Daisy is starting to get back to her regular self and good luck with the milking. You have probably mention this before but how many goats do you have now and how many times do you have to milk them a day. can you tell I am a city girl and do not know much about animals? Your DS and DD will have a wonderful time abroad. the last semester of my DD year she spent in Florence then traveled all over on trains etc with a backpack. Not sure I could do that.

I have been reading the posts about if something doesn't give you joy out it goes..I don't think I have
come that far into decluttrring yet. Sounds like a good plan though.

Not much else going on I have a pile of laundry to do so I think I will start on that.
have a nice afternoon everyone....Marijane
Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  I can't believe it is July 1st either.  It is sunny and warm here (should reach the upper 90's today).  We had pretty wild thunderstorms yesterday evening -- the weather alerts on my phone and computer keep coming.  Hopefully, the rain helped our drought problem.  How hot is it in So. CA, Evelyner?  I live in Southern Arizona, so it is usually quite warm/hot this time of the year.  Welcome to "our" thread by the way.  Nice to have new posters join our "no bash" thread.

Wish I had something exciting to share about my agenda, Bernie, but that is certainly not the case.  DH and I went to the senior lunch program and the gym yesterday -- which is a pretty full agenda for retired people.  LOL.  Today should be quiet -- we took our walk early (pretty nice) , and we will go to the 99 cent store and Wal-Mart this morning.  This afternoon I'll go to Curves.  

The senior lunch program went well yesterday -- not as many people as usual.  The new boss allows the volunteers to take leftover food home (it would normally be trashed), and I took home some interesting mixed vegetables (yellow squash, carrots, and green beans, plus Brussels sprouts.)  We had them for dinner last night, and they were tasty.  I did add some herbs and olive oil to perk up the taste.  It used to be an iron-clad rule that all uneaten food had to be trashed.  But, this new system is more to my liking.  My volunteer buddy also takes food home, as does the "boss".  Hope no one puts an end to this practice.

I received the D&Co. TSV pants, and I have decided to return them.  They were certainly not horrible or anything, but they were a bit baggy/large and very casual.  They were very soft, which was nice, but they sort of reminded me of "Fashion Formula" pants.  I liked them, but not for that price.  Now I'm having a pitched battle with myself over the TSV.  I don't need more Christmas decorations, and I am trying to reduce my supply.  On the other hand, this is so pretty, and it looks like you could keep it out all year.  The price is pretty high (maybe not compared to similar items).  Decisions, decisions.....

Two of our grocery stores have started giving 10 percent senior discounts on the first Wednesday of the month.  I really don't like crowds, so I normally try to avoid these sales, but I really would like to get some more of that wonderful fresh salmon which is on sale.  So, that is another debate I'll behaving with myself.  LOL

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Charlene (never be worried about venting to us -- we have all been there at one time or another -- sending you extra hugs), snicks, Rosa, Marijane, LindaR, Susan, Karen, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

I forgot to mention -- there are FB "groups" from the town and county where I grew up, and I'm really enjoying watching videos and pictures.  Nice to learn about all that history.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

Hello everyone.
bird, I also agree, unbelievable that it is July already, where has the time gone? We had rain again last night and it looks like it will be raining here again shortly.
Welcome evelyner, glad you posted..
Genny1, sounds like you have been busy, hope it was all fun, it sounds like it was. I am not to the "gives me joy" point either in my decluttering.
LL, glad the senior program went well, it is nice that you do not have to toss everything that is not consumed now, seems silly, if you can use it at home right away. Sorry about the D&C TSV pants, I have all but given up on ordering things these days, as they never seem to be what I thought they would be. I HATE having to return stuff (even before the change in that policy here on the Q). That is nice that you can enjoy the FB groups from your hometown area.
I don't think I have posted for a few days, haven't done much, except working in the yard whenever the weather will let me, which is hit and miss this year. I did get my yard mowed yesterday, and have been working on my flower beds which the weeds had about taken over. This morning I got to spend some time with my newest great granddaughter, she is an absolute little doll, I could have held and just looked at her forever, but needed to get back and get some things done. Need to get started on a roast for dinner. Hope everyone has a great day. Waving bye to everyone.
"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Bernie - Thank you for starting us today.  We have the sun out now, but it started cloudy and cool this morning.  At least, so far, today we haven't had rain.  We had over 12 inches of rain in June, not going to be a good summer this year.

LindaL - Glad your job went well yesterday, the vegetables sound internesting.  I made collard greens for the first time the other day, they were really good.  Hope you can continue taking home the leftovers, sounds like such a waste to just throw them out.

Hello to our new poster, please stop in again.

Charlene - Glad your goat is doing better, I do think about her.

Marijane - Forgot what you wrote (sorry), hope you are having a good day.

Not loving this new forum, I like to go back and see what was written, the memory is not as good as it used to be. 

Not much on my agenda today, sort of a lazy day, may have to find a few things to donate.

Have a good day eveyone.

Trusted Contributor

Hello to all - Welcome Evelyner - I live in SoCal too.  We got a thunderstorm with some rain yesterday, so it's muggy today.  Thanks to all, for the kind words yesterday when I was rather angry and stressed.  Kathleen - I'm sorry that you're dealing with stress on a daily basis.  (((hugs))).

Marijane -  You asked about milking goats, so I'll fill you in, lol.  We have 10 goats now, including the baby.  They're all Nubians, which is a breed of dairy goat.  We are only milking 2, but Daisy is about to get dried up.  They get milked twice a day, once in the morning, and once in the early evening.  They get put on a stanchion (an elevated platform with upright posts that their head goes through to keep them in place while you milk).  Because you feed them grain while they're on the stanchion they're usually okay with jumping up there on their own.  Cocoabean is really good about it, Daisy not so much.  You wipe their udder and teets with a cleansing wipe, stick a stainless steel bucket under them and milk away.  A well-behaved goat stands still.  A naughty goat will move around, stick her hoof in the bucket (ruining the milk) or kick the bucket over.  (Eye roll).  You finish up by spraying their teets with an antibacterial spray made for that purpose.  Like all mammals, if you want them to make lots of milk you have to milk them out completely and consistently.  If you want them to dry up, you milk them a little less each day.  It takes some hand and forearm strength to do much milking, and I'm not that great.  My DD is much better and faster than I am.  It doesn't take that long to get the hang of it though, as long as the person teaching you is patient and doesn't make you feel foolish or incompetent.  If you have a lot of goats producing milk you don't do it by hand, you get a machine.  We're not in a hurry to separate Cleo from her mama, so we're not getting much milk at all, and that's okay. (A doe can produce 1/2 - 2 gallons of milk a day).

Probably more than you ever needed to know.  Smiley Happy  ~ Charlene

Honored Contributor

Evelyner - sorry it's so hot where you are. 

Marijane - sounds like a fun time for the 30th anniversary party.  Speaking of laundry, I am looking forward to the dryer tech coming out on Friday.  I've been able to stay on top of the laundry, however it will be nice to only have to run the dryer through one cycle to have dried clothes.

LindaL - it's great that food will no longer be wasted if not eaten during the senior lunch program.  I almost ordered those Denim & Co pants in olive.  I'm avoiding the CIJ programming.  I won't even look at items recently on air (lol). 

Snicks - good to see you today.  Yard work is a never ending chore (lol).  I'm glad you were able to spend time with your new granddaughter.  I'm one of those people who loves infants.  I can hold a baby and watch it sleep for hours.  I know many people who prefer it when the kids can talk back or interact more. 

Susan - the forums continue to be a challenge.  When I get ready to reply, I do take advantage of the 'View discussion in a popup' feature that is located under the reply box to the left.  When I click on that, it opens a new window that shows me everyone's post.

Honored Contributor

Charlene - I read about the goat milking.  So you have 10 goats, are they all female?  How is it the other 8 are not producing milk?  Do they have to have a baby to start the entire milking process?  Yes, I am that ignorant about goats.  LOL.

Trusted Contributor

Bernie - Thank you for the information, I did not know you could do that.  Guess you learn something new everyday.