Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Friday, September 25th

Hello fellow shoppers Smiley Happy

I wore my new olive suede boots to work yesterday. My feet were comfortable all day, which is a good thing since I caved and ordered the same style in a dark brown a couple of days ago (lol). I could not believe how many women at work paid me compliments for these boots. The design is clean and simple, so it must have been the color that wowed them. One of the women said, you always have cool shoes and I guess I never knew that anyone paid attention.

I have today and Monday off as vacation days. I called my Nissan dealer to make an appointment for an oil change. When I asked if there was anything else that needed to be done at 58,200 miles, I was told, just bring the car in and we’ll let you know. So I said no, I’m asking you now so that I can plan my day. The guy tells me that at 60,000 miles, the transmission needs to be serviced. So I say, what does that involve and how much is it? He says, drain and replace the trans fluid, $180. So I say, $180 to drain and refill trans fluid? So he says, well we used to have to do it every 30,000 miles and it was $85 or $90. So I say, let me understand this. Newer cars require trans service every 60,000 miles. The effort is the same for your mechanic, whether or not the service is performed at 30,000 or 60,000 miles. However, because the cars you service don’t require it as often, you are making up for lost money by doubling the price? Is that correct? He stammered and stuttered and didn’t know what to say.

Long story short, I’m scheduled for Monday at 8:30 am. Oil change, trans service and fuel injector service. I believe the fuel injector service is a stupid additive to my gasoline.

For the first time in my life (short of having my wedding dress adjusted), I'm going to see a seamstress.  I need a new zipper for my old Eddie Bauer bucket coat and I want the walking vent sewn shut in my new winter coat that I got cheap off season.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Friday, September 25th

I bet those boots in olive did look great.  I really dilike dealing with car issues, I never know if I am getting taken advantage of or not.  Sound like you are on top of it though.

I am at a semstress frequently , I am tall and small busted so I have many   things tailored.   I alwyas factor the cost of that when making a purchase.

Pouring the riain here, is supposed to rain all weekend. Yuk, we were going to an outdoor venue with music and food trucks, this evening on our main street.  Food trucks are a fairly new thing aroung here, looks like it will get rained out.  I hate it for the vendors that have already bought the food.

Phone ringing better go!

Hope that everyone is well.

Honored Contributor

Hello all, hope everyone is doing well today. It's another gorgeous day here, wish I could spend more of it outdoors, but I need to spend time doing some inside cleaning (maybe, lol). Thanks for starting us off today bird. Glad your new suede boots are comfortable, and it is nice that you got compliments on your good taste. Isn't it something how the car  dealers still want the same income for less work. I so dislike how they do that, and I guess they don't think there is anything wrong with it. I would disagree about that. I have only been to a tailer once or twice. Hope you enjoy your long weekend.

fbm8282lsm, sorry that your outdoor event may have to cancel or at the least move indoors, but do hope you have fun anyway. It's the reunion this weekend right?

I got my MRI done yesterday morning, by the halfway point I felt like my heart might come through my chest, lol. (touch of clausterphobia), but I forced myself to lie still anyway, boy was I glad to get that over. This was in a city about an hour away from where I live, then in the afternoon went back to that same city for hubby's apptmt with his new doc. So I spent most of the day driving back and forth. I always go with him to his doc apptmts, cause otherwise I don't know what transpired and he (hubs) is not real good at telling me, he also wants me to go to ask all the questions that he doesn't. This new doc seems ok, he had all the previous doctors records, but still wanted all the issues explained to him, so it was a long apptmt, lol. We stopped for pizza on the way home, I was worn out. Been running errands this morning, getting my flu shot, etc. Now I need to buckle down with the vacuuming.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Waves.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey, glad the MRI went okay Snicks and sorry the first appointment with DH's new doctor was a longie (lol).

I went to the seamstress, explained what I wanted, made a drop at the recycle center, mailed a card and cut the front yard grass.  I'm catching my breath and rehydrating so I can do the back yard grass. 

I think I will paint trim around the back door tomorrow, expecially since it's a Ho Ho Ho Holiday day at the Q (lol).

My youngest niece finally reached out last night about a party for her daughter - turning 4.  That child is the definition of last minute - party is on Sunday :-)

Respected Contributor

Wrote out a post and lost it 2 times.  Very frustrating.  Hello to EVERYONE!

Trusted Contributor

Hello everyone - Bernie - I'm so glad that you like your new boots and bought another pair.  It's one thing if they look cute, but if they're comfy too?  That's when it's worth buying more than one pair!  I have plantar faciitis in my right foot and have been experimenting with finding shoes that have good support.  Sometimes you don't know until you've worn the shoes for a while to know if they'll be good.  fbm8282ism - it would be nice if the rain stopped before the outdoor event.  I also feel bad for venders who have purchased perishibles and then they don't get much business.  snicks - hope your MRI results turn out well for you.  

Yesterday was a busy day.  I went to my Bible study and then went out to Starbucks with a couple of friends.  After that I ran errands at 3 different stores.  Found most of what I needed, so that was good, though foot was really hurting by the end of the day.

I'm taking it easy today.  I have a couple of new tops that need to be hemmed (I find that most tops from the Q are too long for me.)  So I'm doing that and I'm watching some DVD's that I recorded but never got around to labeling.  I don't know what's on them.  So they need to be labeled and organized.  I have some ironing to do too.  So I'm just doing quiet things at home, and tonight my DH and I are going out to dinner with friends.

Hope that your Friday is a happy one!   ~   Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. I'm glad that the boots are working out so well for you. Perhaps I should have broken over and purchased them based upon the rave reviews. Those car maintenance costs can be outrageous for some services but if it extends the life of the car and minimize expensive repairs, then they are worth it.

Rosa--I am sorry that your new food event may be rained out. When one looks forward to something new and exciting, it is a downer when the weather doesn't cooperate. Are you still collecting Fiesta?

Snicks--I am glad that the MRI is over. Yes, those things can create a feeling of claustrophobia. I just close my eyes and visualize better things It is good that you got your flu shot.

Kathleen--I really like the patio rug and items for the outside of your RV. You are rapidly making it a more comfy home.

Charlene--Enjoy your time relaxing and exploring what is on the unlabeled dvds. Dinner out with friends sounds like a great way to relax and start the weekend.

I worked today and it went well. I plan to go to the city tomorrow and get my hair cut, alng with highlights, etc. We have a rumor circulating that our sole overpriced supermarket may be closing. It is part of a chain whose owner is considering bankruptcy. I haven't been in it for a few days but people are reporting that shelves are not being restocked and that several coolers, etc. are empty.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Hi girls - where does the time go???  We're having a rainy, icky day today; the temperature was only 63° so it was a jeans and long-sleeved top day. I had to drive out to the bank so I took the dogs for a ride. I had to exchange something at Walmart, and saw that a new store - Burke's Outlet - had opened in that particular shopping area, so I checked it out.  It was laid out exactly like Beall's Outlet, and I asked the cashier if they were affiliated. He said it's the same store, but apparently there's another store in TN with a name similar to Beall's, so they couldn't use it. They had some nice things, but nothing I need - I have more dressy tops than I can use, saw a purse I liked but have a similar one (plus it had those double, short handles which I hate; it was the compartments that drew me to it), and, well...that was about it. I did have a $5 reward certificate from Beall's Outlet which I could use there, so I got a cute necklace and earrings set as an extra little gift for my cousin's birthday; it only cost me a couple of dollars more.  I went to a new Dollar Tree that opened; I had to get gift wrap.  That store used to be a Family Dollar and I wasn't at all impressed; the shelves were half empty, and the store was dingy.  I went back to my favorite one.

I was thinking of you when I went to Ollie's, Bird. (I have a chaplain requesting puzzle books for some of his men, as they're bored, and Ollie's has them for 89¢) They had purchased a closeout on boots, and had all kinds.  Tempting, as some were really cute...but I have several pair I've never worn and don't go out much in the cold weather. I imagine you'd have had fun.

Car dealers are notorious for overcharging on service.  I had to get my other front tire replaced before it had a blowout as it was bad; they also had a special on oil changes - $10 off, so it was $22.95.  The guy at the desk came after I had waited for a while and asked if I had changed my mind about the tire they ordered for me, and I said no, I needed it badly...the new mechanic just changed the oil and didn't realize he was supposed to change the tire as well.  Then the mechanic came out and said, "Don't hate me!"  Oh oh....  Turned out he had taken off all the tires to rotate them, and forgot which was which.  (sigh)    (Like I'm supposed to know???)  I told him the two new tired go in the front. Anyway, the guy at the desk (the regular manager was out) was very apologetic and gave me 10% off.  Actually, the're very good to me - they always check my fluids on request, and refill any that need to be at no charge...another advantage of keeping them in cupcakes!  Cat LOL  I drive a standard, so tranny fluid isn't an issue. 

Rosa, food trucks seem to be the latest new thing; not surprising, seeing how expensive it is to open a restaurant.  I've seen some shows on The Food Channel about them; seems you can get anything from a truck.  When I was a kid it was just ice cream, there was a pizza truck that came around, and a pie truck came by once a week.

Snicks, enjoy your vacuuming.  Thus far I'm loving my new vacuum cleaner and vacuuming is almost fun- I wish it would continue to suck up stuff as well...

Charlene, did you see Steve Bryant's story on FB about his Starbucks experience?  He wasn't thrilled about the person in front of him paying for his order at the drive-thru, since he then felt obligated to pay for the person behind him, and it was several times as much as his own order. Cat LOL Silly idea, if you ask me. 

Jean, a local grocery chain - Bi-Lo - was just bought out by Food City, and supposedly the prices are much lower; I never went to Bi-Lo because they were so expensive; I stick with Aldi and sale items at Publix.  Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will open a better (and cheaper) store on the same site as the old one.

Hey, where's LindaL?  It's not like her to not post...hope she's OK.

Well, I think I'm going to swap out my shoes and my pants; we'll still have hot weather, but capris just don't look right this late in the season - I'll stick with lighter weight long pants.  I got my exam done, as well as some other homework; I do have to make a belated birthday cake for Victor's son and if the weather clears I'll cut back some branches and weeds...and that's my exciting weekend! 

Have a blessed day, everyone! 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for thinking of me, Arlene.  DH and I went on a day trip -- had to leave home around 7:00 a.m., and we didn't get back to our car until 4:15 p.m. or so.  Then, we went to a party (ribbon cutting, with speeches and food) for my classes.  Came home around 5:30, and I've been reading e-mail, etc. since then.  

It was a very interesting trip, but it was very hot and tiring.  Also, DH had trouble with the stairs, etc.  At least he didn't fall flat on his face like one of the other tour members.  Yikes!  

Much to my surprise, my Keurig arrived, and I would like to set it up. But, that might need to wait until tomorrow.  I'm really not hungry, but I am afraid DH might get hungry if I don't prepare anything at all.  

Very happy about your new boots, Bernie.  I remember the car dealer in Maryland was always coming up with "needs" that were very expensive.  One time, my brother helped out -- suddenly some of those things weren't really needed.

I would respond to more of your posts, but I'm starting to feel really guilty about the lack of dinner.

Hope everyone sleeps well, and I'll be sure to post tomorrow.

Hugs,

Linda

Honored Contributor

I'm sitting here, fuming. Something told me to compare the maintenance schedule for my car to my receipts. Guess what? It wasn't at the recommended mileage and I hadn't complained about the transmission in 2014 but that didn't stop the service advisor from recommending transmission service. So, I just had the trans serviced in the 40k range. Ken will be surprised on Monday when I inform him of the change in plans! I love Nissan's, but there aren't enough dealers here. Maybe my next car will be a Volkswagon.