Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Friday, Sept. 16th)

Hello all, it's been dry in my part of the world all week and mostly sunny with mild temps.  I think we're in for a heatwave over the next couple of days.

I've been down the rabbit hole again planning my next project; I'm hoping that it's done before the snow flies.  It involves replacing the chain link fence around my backyard with vinyl privacy fence.  Sounds simple right?  What I am talking about involves fencing on the lot line.  This means the fence that separates the neighbor's yard to the left and to the right of me. The fence along the back borders the easement or property that belongs to a school district.  

I've wanted a privacy fence around this yard since I bought the house over 20 years ago.  My husband was the barrier to me living the dream for the first several years and I've waffled back and forth about cutting down 4 trees and 6 evergreen shrubs along the back fence since.  I've kept in casual contact with the previous (sole) owners of the house since I bought it; nice people however the wife had a thing with planting shrubs and trees against the fence.  The back fence has been distorted by the mulberry.

I've had to get my mind right with killing trees and shrubs; I've already got their replacements bookmarked at a gardening/tree/shrub website.

Now, I'm making sure I understand city code about the lot line fence.  I'm also checking out land surveyors (did I say that right) in case I need a fresh survey.  One neighbor is cool with it; other neighbor has been a problem for years which is why I want to know rules of engagement and my rights before I get the ball rolling. 

Mercury is in retrograde for the next couple of weeks - I'm researching, making lists of questions and getting contact information.  I'm one of those people who has better results once Mercury is out of retrograde Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Friday, Sept. 16th)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Good luck with replacing your fence.  I know there can be issues with making any sort of change, so checking out the rules is wise. 

It took some time for DD and family to gain approval for the fence at their new home.  I think mainly it was the HOA which collected a fee, took time for review, and specified what type of fence they could put up.  DD and family really wanted the fence because of their two small dogs.

It has been pleasantly cool in the mornings since I  came home, but pretty hot later in the day (high of 96 degrees predicted today).

The singles ladies group is having a "salad bar" get together this evening, and I am bringing dried cranberries and sunflower seeds.  Hope that I purchased enough of each, and we have a fun time. 

I heard from Jean that since her procedure, she has been able to exercise plus sleep nearly 8 hours a night for the first time in months.  Good news.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte---Thanks for the update on Jean. That's good news. Enjoy your evening out with the salad bar. sounds like my kind of menu.

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama----Good luck with the fence line. In our area the fence has to be on your property line totally. The easment line is considered a share space for maintainence, etd. and can't be used for personal use.  Of course, we have that "one" neighbor who keeps "expanding" his property line by moving into the easment area and beyond. He's expanded his line into our one yard by a few feet. Of course, he waited until after we took all the dead trees down. 

Respected Contributor

it is still morning here. Linda, we are not as cool as you are in the morning, but afternoon temps aar similar. I am starting to put my summer pastels away. I hope to get my friend over to help me sort and pack donations.

Bernie..good luck with te fence project. When we put in a privacy fence, we had the city survey the property lines for the appropriate lines. Good luck.

I am hoping the epidural injections work.My pain is getting very old. 😝😝

Fressa you have a lot of projects happening also

Glenda..you and your dh seem to have a lot of fun.

Linda, your visit sounded very nice 

enjoy your day.

Greetings to all of our posters and readers.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for getting us started Birdmama. It's been sunny and a bit cool this week with temps dipping into th e50's at night. YIPPEE!! 

The siding guys delivered the dumpster and all the spplies yesterday. I was hoping to see them today but I guess our install date is tomorrow and Sunday. Monday is forecasted with rain so I'm crossing my fingers. I think I'll feel so much better when it's all done. Maybe then I'll get some relief with my migraines.

I finally got the vet's office to transfer the dogs prescriptions to Chewy. It took 8 days. Honestly!!!  I still have to adjust the frequency but wanted to wait until after I received the first order. Some of those auto deliveries can get jumbled into a mess with one simple change. At least, I remembered to put all the medicines on one order and the treats on another one. 

Slowly I'm bringing some of the Fall items upstairs. I have all the Summer items back in storage and decided I better wait on the front porch until after the siding install. i hope to finish the front of the house (inside) while the siding is going up. 

I'm behind on my errands and grocery shopping but decided I would try to get a little extra rest. Today's gas bill had a notice that the rate will go up almost $50 on the next bill. I use the budget payment so that's put all the utilities around the $200 ea budget amount. UGH!!!

Have a good afternoon/evening.

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte  thanks for sharing the update about Jean; God Bless her.  Your singles salad bar get together sounds fun.

Honored Contributor

I feel like I am in a pretty strong position @Fressa   There is no easement between backyards and if I read the city code correctly (again Mercury in retrograde) assigning responsibility for upkeep/maintenance of lot line fences that separate adjacent properties is clear cut.  The owner who erects the fence and pays for construction is the responsible party. 

My house was the office and model 2 story home for the builders when they neighborhood was developed in the 1960's.  The house I live in is the first one sold.  There was one owner before me and she gave me every historical piece of paper related to the house from fence installation to home insulation.  I have the receipt from 1968 supporting that the fence on the lot line was contracted and paid for by the original owner.  I inherited the responsibility for it when I bought the house.  The fence is 54 years old and decrepit in places. 

Honored Contributor

Barbara @sydsgma1  In 2007 I had to, as an emergency measure because it was the path to least resistance, install a privacy fence inside of the lot line fence I own to get peace from the contentious, disordered neighbor next door to me.  I couldn't take my dog out in the backyard without her screaming and rushing the fence.  This wingnut was at my wedding and I have no idea what happened in 2007.  Her kids are not going to make their problem my problem which is why I will pay for a professional land surveyor to confirm the lot line.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I am so excited for you @Fressa   As you can see I'm getting ready to shell out big bucks to remove big trees and install a fence.  I can't wait to get new siding on my house, maybe next I don't know I want windows too Woman Very Happy  I hope it goes smoothly for you and look forward to reading any updates you care to share.  

I'm glad the vet finally realized you weren't kidding when you said hey, transfer the RX for my babies.