Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Friday July 3rd

Jean, I'm actually tempted by the Clarisonic this time.  Municipal presented fireworks around here tend to happen a week or so before the 4th.  Of course, the village idiots around me started firing off their last night and I'm sure tonight and tomorrow will be obnoxious.

The dessert looks like a heart attack on a plate.  Nasty was the first word that came to mind.  

Susan - Happy Anniversary to you are your DH.

Barbara - it's good that your grands are there and you are having a great time with them.

Twinny, have fun at the fish fry tonight.  I have a clothesline outside and would have used it more if I was home during the day.  By the time I get home around 7pm, there had better been a stiff breeze for me to benefit.

Once the dryer tech left, I tackled the 'box farm' in the garage.  There were several boxes from odds and ends bought over the year nested into each other, stacked neatly in a tower.  I have not reached for any of those boxes in YEARS, so I broke them down and took them to the recycling center (since I was going anyway).  A simple action that made me feel good. 

I was going to pick up a cheap plastic 4th of July table cloth for the old utility table.  Just in case my sister wants to play any board games outside tomorrow or eat outside tomorrow.  What the heck has happened to dollar stores?  I drove all over and visited 3 dollar stores and couldn't find 4th of July things.  

I used to change out my tablecloth on the kitchen table for seasonal events.  I'll look at my collection and see if I can find the summer themed tablecloth and coordinating place mats.

I hit the ATM for some cash and was glad to get home.  We have major construction on one of the main roads that lead everywhere and so many people were on the road that it didn't take me long to get my fill.

I'm a hermit in the making (lol).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Pinky, I'm sorry that your brother will not be able to make the cookout tomorrow.  I love the sounds of nature first thing in the morning. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning/Afternoon!  Happy that your dryer was fixed early and quickly Bird.  Sounds like you love doing the wash, and this will make it much easier on you.  I enjoy some of those old movies as well, but I usually watch them on the cable channel that doesn't interrupt them with commercials.  I have had cable or satellite TV since 1992, and I don't like paying for it.  However, I do like having certain channels that are not available "through the air" as they say.  Are you able to see Q programming or just look at things on the internet?  For the amount of actual watching it on TV I do, that would no longer be a sacrifice for me.  At one time, I spent a lot of time watching Q programs.

Hi snicks -- hope you enjoy your day.

Have a good time at the buffet tonight if you decide to go there, Jean.  We went to the concert quite early (necessary to get a decent seat) and I read a book on my Kindle -- thought of you when I did so.  Probably a good idea to get that dentist visit out of the way.  I like my Mia 1 -- after much wavering,  bought a new one when my old one died.  A few days later, Q put the one I purchased on sale, and I could have saved $5 or so, but.....  Anyway, I'm happy with this one and only hope it lasts for several years.  

Happy Anniversary, Susan.  Hope you and your DH enjoy your dinner.

Glad your son is helping Barbara, and that you are enjoying your grands despite your post-infusion headache.

Hope you and your DH enjoy that fish fry, twinny.  Glad you found a clothes dryer that enables you to dry things outside.  

Waves to Kathleen, Arlene, Charlene, Rosa, Karen, Marijane, LindaR, pinky ann, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

The Army band concert yesterday evening was good, but very different.  I think there had been a mix-up of some sort, but we ended up with two different bands.  One played first, then the other, and then they played together.  There was less patriotic music than normal (still enough, but...), and they had speciality bands -- jazz, classic rock, etc.  The concert lasted longer than normal, and it was very well-received.  I have a tendency to cry during certain patriotic songs, and that happened again.  But, I had plenty of kleenex.  LOL

It is cloudy and a bit muggy today.  Should get up to 100 degrees or the high 90's at least.  That is why I sincerely hope the church "picnic" will be indoors.  

DH and I took our walk early, and I plan to go to pick up some produce (on sale) soon, and go to Curves this afternoon.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. I think I forgot to mention that the reason the leftover food was always thrown out at the senior lunch program had something to do with health department regulations.  It is considered to be a commercial kitchen type operation, and we have to do many things to keep food safe (cleaning, checking temperatures, etc.).  Since many of our clients are fragile elderly folks, I think they are concerned that they might take food home and not keep it properly refrigerated or otherwise handled.  We usually let them take home things like fresh fruit, but not too many things would work that way.  

Honored Contributor

Hi LindaL - I can see your point about being concerned about the senior's getting food poisoning. 

Jean and LindaL - if I order the Clarisonic, do I need to use any special type of cleanser with it? 

Honored Contributor

I ordered the Mia in the black/white floral option.  This will be my first Clarisonic and I'm kind of excited about it :-)

Trusted Contributor

So nice to check in with everybody!  Bernie - glad your dryer was fixed so easily.  I liked the description of your "box farm" in the garage.  I have a jumble of extra cardboard boxes in our tack shed, because, well, you never know when you might need them, lol.  I also ordered a TSV Mia2.  I bought one several years ago and liked it, but slowly over time it wouldn't hold a charge anymore.  I still got plenty of use out of it though.  I don't watch old westerns very much but my DH loves them.  My DH's grandpa was a stuntman in the movies, specializing in westerns.  TCM sometimes plays a movie with Jimmy Stewart and Audy Murphy called "Night Passage".  DH's grandpa plays the character "Torgenson" in that movie and has a few speaking lines.  It's fun to watch.

Susan - Happy Anniversary!  Barbara - hope your landscaping projects turns out well.  Twinny - glad that the new clothesline fit into the existing spot.  Kathleen - best wishes in finding new or better jobs.  Like you, I also tend to attribute feelings to things which makes it harder to purge.  Sometimes I get in the right mood and I take advantage of that and do some good cleaning out.  Arlene - continued prayers for your sadness and frustrations in life right now.  I can understand.  (((hugs))) coming your way.

I wasn't planning on doing much today, but it's been busy so far.  I did some watering in the yard, and then I've been helping my DH organize, pack, and label our DS's belongings.  When our DS moved back in a couple of weeks ago, he pretty much dumped his stuff in our garage.  It's pretty messy.  We just received a used storage shed from a friend, so we're moving most of our DS's stuff into the shed (nicely boxed and labeled).  

My DH also went and complained to the neighbor about his tenants (illegal immigrants who are living in illegal housing) that play loud music.  It's very frustrating to say the least.  They'll probably be better for a while, and then return to their old ways, as they've done before.  

My DD and DS safely reached London and got to their hostel.  They sent a pic and it looks rather nice.  I didn't get caught up on my financial paperwork yesterday, so I'm going to go work on that now.  Hope everyone has a good Friday.   ~   Charlene

Trusted Contributor

hello Ladies.....beautiful day today tomorrow is supposed to be iffy. Glad your dryer fix was not a big a one Bernie..I also ordered the Mia 2....I have an older one that I love..you can use any cleanser that you want with it.

I bet you DS/DD will have a wonderful time over in Europe Charlene, how long will they be gone? Thanks for all the info on the goats you posted the other day...very informative .How's the snake doing...where do you keep it? nice that Daisy is coming along and that Cocabean and Cleo are doing so well.

Arlene you had mentioned a few days ago about bread going moldy.....there are o ly the 2 of us here and we don't eat much bread but I keep it in the freezer and just take out what we want....

Kathleen had a great time at your family party this weekend....will Dd be there also....when does your other DD move? Have you found a home for her dog?

pinky sorry your brother has to miss your party....hope it's a nice time. Are many going..hope the weather holds out.

Enjoy your fish fry tonight Twinny.

lindaL I guess
that's a good reason why the food was thrown out before...concern about people not handeling it right.
Jean hope your dentist visit went well.
Barbara,have a great time with your GK's

happy Anniversay to you and your DH Susan. Have a great dinner.l

not much going on here, my Dh's cousin from Calif. came back here today, was sorta surprised thought he was moving on to another sisters in Bklyn.... He came up last Sat then went to Njj Tuesday and we thought he'd go into Bklyn for the days he has left....he has a flight out of JFK on Monday so have have no idea when he will leave here to see one of his sisters in Bklyn. it will be pizza tonight and a BBQ tomorrow.

Have a nice day everyone.....Marijane
Esteemed Contributor

Jean, your school starts very early, so it is good to get the dental work out of the way.  I don't have a clarisonic, but I may bite the bullet one of these days.

Bird Mama, How nice to get the dryer fixed so easily.  We have had the windows wide open for about a month & the fresh air is wonderful.

LL, Your concert sounded like fun.  A few years ago, DH & I went to one at our local HS.  I think it was all Air Force, but very good also.  I am sure that the food has to be taken care of properly so that people don't get sick.

Sydsgma, how fun to be able to enjoy your 3 DGC & get the landscaping work done at the same time.

Cerb, It is great news that your DC are safely in London.  It sounds like fantastic fun for them.

Susan, Happy anniv. to you & your DH.  I hope you have a great dinner out & many more years of wedded bliss.

pinky ann, it is hard for all of us to get together at the same time, but we do the best that we can.    DH & I are going to a town 11 miles away tomorrow for lunch/3 different bands playing for $5.00.  It is in a little country church with good food & 3 nice bands.    One band is a church band,  one band is a polka band (1 accordion player) with local guys which are very well liked & the 3rd band features a guy that was our DC's band teacher while they were in HS.   He is a professional trumpet player.  Lots of patriotic songs & nice Christian music.

Our hometown has doings all day long tomorrow, so we might go to a local church to see the fireworks when it gets dark.  They are set off at a park, but the congestion is awful.  There is also a band concert, but I think that we will musiced (sp)? out  by that time & tired.

Valued Contributor

Marijane, We'll be having only the five of us tomorrow. Usually it's eight of us. Now that I know for sure my brother won't be coming, it's really starting to bug me. We're really close, and it won't be the same without him. He wrestled with what to do, but we both know this is the right decision. I want him to feel better, and six hours on the road is way to much for right now. I hope you'll have a good holiday.

Twinny, Your day sounds very sweet and fun. Usually church functions have  good food, and it's nice that you can see all three bands, or choose which interests you. I wish our family lived closer to each other, since we're not a big group, but as long as we stay close, that's what matters.

cerb, How interesting that your DH's DGF was in western! I will mention it to DH, as he watches so many of them. Maybe he'll get to see the show...

LindaL, Glad you had a good time at your concert last night. Hope you have a nice 4th tomorrow.

I have to get the kitchen done now, as I've put it off as long as I can. Baking just wiped me out... It's amazing that next week the huge push for back to school will start. Our summer has been much more fall like anyway, and once this starts, I'll be ready to get the pumpkins out! for sure! lol Have a nice holiday everyone! pinky

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Charlene - I'm glad the kids made it to England settled into their hostel safely. 

Marijane - Have fun with DH's cousin.  Gotta love family, just when you think they are going to zig, they zag (lol).

Twinny - I have my inside door open and many of the windows too.  It's a beautiful day, sun is shining and there's a breeze.

I pressure washed my table and chairs on the patio. Also pressure washed the concrete patio itself.  I forgot how powerful a pressure washer is, even when set on a fan spray pattern.  Hmm, where did I put that white paint for the door trim (rolling my own eyes).  Good thing I didn't go into firefighting.