Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Friday July 3rd

Hello all -

I'm off work today (corporate observance of holiday) and am enjoying a cup of coffee while watching an old movie "Duel at Diablo".  When you don't have cable (personal choice), you get the opportunity to see old and sometimes obscure movies :-).

Duel at Diablo is a western and stars James Garner (handsome), Dennis Weaver (almost didn't recognize him without the moustache) and Sidney Poitier (need I say more?)

I'm scheduled for the 8-12 block of time for my dryer repair.  Part of me is concerned that I didn't receive a confirmation call or reminder yesterday.

At this point, one of two things will happen today - dryer will be fixed or dryer won't be fixed :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Friday July 3rd

Good morning bird, and to all who join in or just read.
Hope your dryer gets fixed, with no further delays. Some of those old movies are really good. My hubby loves old westerns, so we see lots of them on TV.
No real plans for today, hubby is also off work today, so we will play it by ear.
Hope everyone enjoys their day and if celebrating the holiday today, have fun.
Waving to all.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Yippee.  The technician has come and gone.  It was my ignitor switch - entire repair took 10 minutes.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. I do hope your dryer gets repaired during the window of opportunity. Often this becomes a missed opportunity so let's hope you are the exception and you will no longer have to spend hours getting something dried. Sometimes, I will catch a very old movie and see a face that looks a little familiar. Then it dawns upon me that it is a current actor who was just starting out at that time. So much for "overnight success." Ooops! You were posting at the same time I was. Good news on the dryer!!!

Snicks--Sometimes a day with no plans can end up beimg a great day as you are flexible to do whatever you want when the occasion moves you. Whatever you do, have a great day!

The dentist called so I have to change an appointment in the city. They suggested another time but after thinking about it, I decided the last week of July was too close to the start of school in August. I returned the call and asked if they had an opening next week which worked and a follow up appointment the week following.

I have a Mia2 and have not regretted the purchase. The extra brush heads do make this a good value. I think mine is over 2 years old.

I have no plans for the 4th. We have no celebrations locally so if we wanted to take in fireworks, events, etc., we would have to go over an hour away.

In the meantime, would you like a slice of this cake?

July4cake.JPG

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

Bernie - Thank you for starting us today, and glad your dry is fixed, and that is was a small fix.  Whenever I get a window of time say - 8-12, they alway come at 11:55 and I have had to wait that whole time.  I never get lucky and get the 8:00.

Jean - Sorry they is no activity near your area for the 4h, we go to my sister's for a picinic and then head home.  I am not much of a fireworks person and we always had to get home before they started because the dog would be terrified.   Sorry Jean, that dessert looks horrible, I don't thinik I would even try it,  Besides, who thought that up?

Snicks - Enjoy the day off with DH, sometime doing nothing is just great.

Well today DH and I's 16th wedding anniversary, can't believe it has been that long, feels like we got married a couple years ago.  We are going out for dinner tonight and that is about it.  I tried to send him out golfing but the courses are filled today and he could not get a T time until 5:00 tonight.  It is a shame because we are having a beautiful day here today. 

Well off to do one thing construcitve today, have a good day everyone.

Have a Happy and Safe 4th of July.

Respected Contributor

Busy and fun time here..3 of the grands are having a good time. Syd is really doing a god job watching them.

Our ds is replacing old railroad ties with landscaping blocks.,our kids are so good about helping out.
Esteemed Contributor

Barbara--You enjoy your grandchildren so much and they enjoy you and Syd is a great help. The landscaping change will be greatly enjoyed, thanks to DS's efforts.

I'm doing odds and ends around the house. I just found two old telephone books. I guess I was keeping them just in case I misplaced the current book. I think it is safe to let them go.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama,  I hope that you enjoy your long weekend & also that your dryer gets fixed today.  Last week I purchased an outdoors clothesline at Menard's.  It didn't fit into the ground in the place that my 20 y/o was  at.  On  Weds. I purchased one at   Farm & Fleet.  We came home & it came out of the box & went into the ground perfectly.  Hooray. I told my DH yesterday that I am as happy with it as I would be with a brand new dryer.

Snicks, I was thinking about you yesterday.  DH & I along with one of my BF's from HS & her DH went to The World's  Largest Truck Stop in Walcott,  IA.  I know that one of your DD's is a trucker.  We had a fabulous buffet lunch, enjoyed the gift shop & had fun looking at the bright yellow semi  inside the building.  The hightlight on the way home was getting gas at $2.41 gallon.

It is another beautiful sunny & 70's day.  Yesterday I hung two loads of laundry outside & they were lovely when I took them down last night.  

We will be getting groceries soon & then we plan to go to a nearby town for it's Friday night fish fry.  We have been going to a new place most each Friday.

I read the posts last night, but I was way too tired to respond to them.  

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Twinny--I remember hanging sheets, etc. outside.  The laundry always smelled so air fresh.  Enjoy the fish fry.

I've done some work around the house, so now it is time for a Kindle break. In the evening, I might make a run to the donation center about an hour away....one in the opposite direction from the city...and have dinner at the buffet near it.

Valued Contributor

Bird, Thanks for starting the thread. I'm glad your dryer repair was a quick and easy one. Have a nice long weekend!

snicks, Enjoy your free day! My best days are usually the ones that are open to whatever comes along.

Susan, Happy anniversary! Hope you have a nice dinner out tonight. I can imagine lots of folks are off today, so I'm not surprised the course was booked.

Jean, It's nice the way the appointments worked out for you. Our area is very rural, but there used to be a small fireworks display until a few years ago. Sometimes you can hear and see them if people have them down by the lake, but they've been pretty good about not doing too many.

Twinny, Have a good 4th! Do you have plans for tomorrow?

It's been a nice few days outside, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow at some point. I'm in good shape with everything for tomorrow, just need to give the kitchen a quick once over, as I baked a lot this morning, We'll have our cookout as planned, but I'll be missing my brother and nieces. He had a medical procedure during the week, and it's just too far for him to travel.

I've been walking most every day, even with all of the rain, and love the peace and quiet of the early morning. It's actually quiet most of the day, but the birds chattering and the sun just coming up make for a very special time. I can hear some 4 wheelers now, so some vacationers have made it in. It takes me a little time to get used to them, but most everyone waves and in general seems very nice and friendly. Our stores will be mobbed today, so I made it a point to go yesterday and finish up. 

Wishing all of our posters and readers a very happy Independence Day! Have a wonderful holiday no matter what you have planned.... or not...lol pinky