Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Friday, Feb. 22nd)

Good Morning Woman Happy  Touched by an Angel is on in the background as I sip my coffee and think about what's for breakfast.

Linda, I hope that your friend with the new implants isn't developing an infection.  

Twinny70, congratulations to your grandson on the scholarship.  

Jean, I hope that you slept better last night.

Charlene, 15,000 steps is remarkable.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Friday, Feb. 22nd)

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. Coffee and breakfast are always a good way to start the day.

I did sleep better last night, getting in six hours of sleep. My favorite mouser who usually doesn't awaken me until around 3 am awakened me around 1 am and insisted upon my getting up. After some attention and a few snacks, I went back to bed. According to the FitBit, I was awake 40 minutes during that period.

I'm just doing odds and ends. I decided to set aside the clothes I thought I would wear in Australia. I wanted to make sure they weren't touched in the coming 4 weeks. For some reason, I have this gut feeling that things are going to be competing for my attention in the week prior to the trip so I just decided to get this out of the way. It helps that I have too many clothes on hand, and am saving the newest for the trip. I guess I am ready for this trip to happen.

Despite having too many things, I did have to order some compression travel hose which I get from Ames Walker at a great price. These make a big difference on long flights or long days of walking, etc.

I just sneezed and almost lost the laptop. I have a cold just bad enough to make me tired but not to put me out of action. Again, that is another thing I want to get rid of before the trip. 

I am trying to resist any clothing or other unnecessary purchases at this point. If the weather permits, I plan to go to the city tomorrow to have lunch with a friend and buy groceries....a definite need.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Bird Mama, we left home at 8:00 & had breakfast at BK.  Then we went to a bunch of different stores for  this & that.  It's a  beautiful sunny day,   but we are supposed to get freezing rain, then rain & snow starting  tonight & ending sometime tomorrow night.  Then very  windy  on Sunday.

Charlene,  great job on your 15,000 steps.

Linda L, we heard on the TV that Flagstaff got 30" of snow in 24 hours.  Sounds unreal.

We had a fun time yesterday with our friends.  Qwik Trip had their muffins on sale for 79¢ from $1.49.  My friend bought 3 1/2 dozen for their upcoming nursing home party.  Then we went & had a Taco Pizza.  We did some grocery shopping and then we beat the guys at cards.  It was a good day.  

Hot tubbing is planned after we have lunch.

Nothing exciting going on around here today.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Hope you have a nice, quiet day.  

I tend to spend a lot of time anticipating my trips as well, Jean.  I remember going through my clothing multiple times before my trip last Fall.  Sorry you have a bit of a cold, and hope you have a nice lunch tomorrow and are able to purchase the needed groceries.

Good job on the steps, Charlene.

It is pouring down snow here -- not expected, and quite unusual.  This is our third snow this year, and I'm sure that it is a record of some sort.  We had rain yesterday evening and last night, and it was raining lightly when I got up.  I thought something was going on with my eyes when the rain turned to snow.  Not sure I have ever seen this much snow on the road.  Needless to say, my planned trip to the grocery store this morning has been postponed until the afternoon or even tomorrow.  I know some (like twinny) love snow, but I am so not a fan, especially when it is on the roads and sidewalks.  Thank goodness we are expecting much warmer and drier weather next week.  

I guess that I will do some reading this morning and perhaps finish watching a DVD I started (about the time when Agatha Christie disappeared).  

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- sounds like you had a very nice day yesterday, twinny.  I understand the Flagstaff snow was a record, and they are having a difficult time clearing the streets, etc.  One of the ladies in my OLLI class said that a friend had been on a short visit to the Grand Canyon, and was snowed in yesterday.  I imagine it will still be difficult to get back today given all the snow.  By the way, I don't live near Flagstaff (far south).

Esteemed Contributor

Jean, I am glad that you got a good night's sleep.  I am sleeping better now that my Monday and Tuesday appointments are over with.  Hopefully your cold will be a mild one.  Getting ready for your trip has to be fun & you are such a great planner.  Sometimes we "fly by the seat of our pants ".  This morning when we were in Shopko, I saw Anti Embolism Hose for $19.99.   I am really thinking about getting them before our next vacation.  Wal-Mart didn't have them.  I am not afraid to go on vacation, but I want to be mindful about my recent PE incident.

Esteemed Contributor

Linda L, I like the snow, but not the freezing rain, then rain ending up with snow on top of the mess.  I think that a lot of snow will melt tomorrow when it's in the 40's & raining.   We haven't had this much snow in a long time.  My 2nd cousin and her SO lived in Chandler for quite a few years.  We flew there once about 20 years ago and they took us to the Grand Canyon.  This was in March.  Then she drove us to Las Vegas.  I was in the front seat with her and the guys were in the back seat sleeping.  I looked at the speedometer and she was going 80.  Of course this was about 2:00 a.m. & no traffic.  

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I know it is possible but it is amazing that you are having snow. I did see the footage of people throwing snowballs in Vegas. I know people who aren't used to snow might enjoy it but find travel a little challenging if not used to navigating snow-covered roads.

Twinny--You certainly have had a fun-filled day. I got a chuckle out of your experience with the cousin driving at 80 mphh. On those straight roads there and roads that are in good condition, it is easy to creep up to 80 unless the cruise control is set. I've done that myself on our Interstates when not using cruise control.

I don't think I will get in Charlene's 15,000 steps at any time but one time I did get in 20,000 in one day. I remember that day as a non-stop day after which I paid the price in leg pain. Since then, I watch the level of non-stop activity. I know FitBit permits you to set a reminder anytime that you don't get in 250 steps in an hour. In ten hours, that is 2500 steps and far below the so-called recommended 10,000.

I saw this is in the Recipe forum and it sounds good:

7-Layer Fat-Fighting Dip

Ingredients:
4 cups shredded lettuce...
3 medium ripe avocados mashed and mixed with 2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cup Greek yogurt mixed with 1 package low-sodium taco seasoning mix
1 can black beans
3 medium diced tomatoes
2 cans sliced olives
8 oz 2% cheddar cheese

Directions:
Starting with the lettuce on the bottom of a bowl, add each layer on top of the next, ending with sprinkling the cheese on top. Alternate one celery stick with each whole grain chip to cut your calories in half.
Enjoy!!!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Hi all - Bernie, thanks for starting off our thread.  Let us know when you get the Carolyn Pollack jewelry.  Jean - glad that you slept better last night.  The purchase of compression hose sounds like a good idea.  Sorry to hear you have a cold - hope it stays mild and goes away quickly.  That recipe sounds nummy!  twinny - sounds like a lot of fun with your friends; shopping and playing cards.  Nice to have better sleep since your tests were run.  Enjoy hot tubbing this afternoon.  Linda - I saw the snow pictures that you posted on facebook.  We got hail, but alas, no snow.  The snow level in the mountains is really low though.  

Today is sunny and not too bad outside, so my DH and I took the opportunity to go outside and so some weeding.  Looks much neater now.  We also put the goats out in the field so that they could enjoy some grazing.  My DD found out this week that her goat Cleo is definitely pregnant, so in a few months, hopefully, we'll have some kids.  

I think that I'm going to go take it easy now - watch some TV, read in a book, and get more steps in.  Hope you all have a great day!  ~ Charlene

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--So  glad you are enjoying sunshine. I just saw footage of snow in Southern California and didn't know if you were being "blessed" with snow as Linda was. You have accomplished much outside so some relaxing and getting more steps in is a great way to spend the late afternoon or evening.