Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Friday, Feb 12th

Hello and happy weekend to all.  I'm taking a break at work to each lunch.  Other than that, not much going on in my world.

How are you today?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time - Friday, Feb 12th

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well.

Bernie -  Thank you for startīng us today, hope you are having a good day at work.   Any great plans for the weekend?

Not much going on here today, just washing clothes and did the grocery shopping. We are supposed to have a very cold weekend, so I think this weekend will be dedicated to some decluttering.  I opened a drawer in my second bedroom and things just jumped out of it. So I decided that is my weekend project.

Jean - How are the eyes doing today? 

Well not much more here, hope everyone has a great afternoon.

Honored Contributor

Hello all, thanks for starting us @Bird mama. Hope your day at work will soon be over.  Temps in single digits for us tonight, brrr.

@PAlady, I've done laundry also, no grocery shopping for me today though. I do need to get back to decluttering, I'm not very motivated to do it this time around I must admit, lol.

Jean, I do hope your eye problem is getting better. You have really had more than your share of problems lately.

The party last night was really fun although I only knew 5 people there. Food was delicious, open bar which I did not partake of, but nice that he had it. I actually stayed over an hour longer than I had planned to do since I was having a good time. The "boss" and I chatted a few times throughout the evening and made plans that next time he is in my area we will have lunch. He told me all about the changes since I was there, and I thought this was funny, he introduced me to several people as the only person to retire from his company, it made me laugh. I spent time chatting with the team of attorneys who handle all the work comp cases and some of them were pretty hilarious (the attorneys), some of the cases were as well, when the people would be trying to rip us off with their so-called work injury which was non-existant. We did have some that were real that were not in the least bit funny too, of course. I did beat the snow getting home though, we did get a small amount, and my dog had spent most of the evening sitting in the window watching for me to come home according to my hubby, lol. Hope everyone has a nice weekend. Waves to all......

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@PAlady

Susan, we are expecting near zero temps with sub zero windchills this weekend.  Saturday, short of hitting the recycling center and grabbing my usual pizza, I think I will being putzing around with turbotax.  I am determined that I can do this myself.  I checked out refunds from 2003 and my accountant has been creeping the price up from $130 to as much as $175 (last year).  I also noticed that my bank is partnering with turbotax so if I jump from my bank account page to turbotax I will save $5 on the federal refund.  In short, I should be able to do this, e-file and save at least $100 in the process.  Hmmmm, maybe I will treat myself to something, rofl.  Sunday will probably be grocery shopping, woo hoo, don't hate me cuz my life is so exciting, lol lol lol

@Snicks1

Snicks, I am so glad that you went to the party and had a good time.  We just had a 30 minute snow squall that was so heavy I couldn't see Windsor Ontario just across the river.  The sun came out and now it's squalling again.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

We are having a beautiful sunny day today. More like spring than February!

Glad you went to the work party. Amazing how things change. Last year I went to a retirement. Some people I had worked with for years barely acknowledged me!! Others were gracious.

Met a friend for lunch. It was lovely. She lives in another town. We had gone to the same church in the 70s. Reconnected a few years ago. She had been all over the states and Mexico. Always lovely to visit with her.
Trusted Contributor

Bernie -  Tonight is pizza night here also.  We use an accountant for our taxes (stocks and other investment things), DH used to do them himself and then have me double check it.  Well, since I am not the math genius, I suggested an accountant, DH has never looked back.  He would spend all weekend doing the taxes and then fret he forgot something -  That is when I suggested an accountant.  Hope your weather stays good until you get home.

Snicks -  Glad you had a good time at the party, and had good weather to get home in.   Funny how our pets miss us when we leave for awhile. 

LindaR -  Glad you had a good time at lunch today, it is nice to reconnect with friends. 

Well guess I need to do something constructive around here, have a good evening everyone.

Respected Contributor

Hello friends!  I've been applying like a fiend and had a short phone interview today.  Who knows.  Getting a response is exciting and anxiety-inducing at the same time.  I had to call DH - would he really leave here if I got a good job back at home? His response was "well we have to do something".  So please just keep us on your prayer list.

So glad it's Friday.  Yes, beautiful weather here.  I did go to the grocery and always spend more than I think it will be.  So that's about it here. Talked to my Mom for a while.  I'm very blessed to have her.  Love and hugs to all.

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Just checking in; I had another non-exciting day:  Mailed some packages for the troops, went to one bank to pay my mortgage, then to "my" bank to get reimbursement for the military postage.  At the mortgage bank they said the rates are much lower now than when I bought the house and suggested I refinance; they gave me the name and phone number of their mortgage expert, as he can answer questions like if it would be better to wait until I'm getting my pension, etc.  I'll give him a call next week - I just realized Monday is a bank holiday.

I stopped at Walmart on the way home to look for more hot pepper suet - the birds absolutely love it - but they were all out.  Got some chicken nuggets at BK for the dogs (they get soooo excited at drive-thrus!), some Chinese food for me, and now I'm in for the night.

Glad you had a good time, snicks - I dislike big parties, especially when I don't know many people, but it sounds like it went well for you.

Fortunately the temps are in the 50s, so I'm not uncomfortable.  In fact, if I refinance the mortgage I may be able to work in a new HVAC system...

Bird, it always amazed me how people would pay hundreds of dollars to have a simple tax return prepared; it's such a rip-off when you can get it done free!  I did corporate tax returns when I worked for a CPA firm, but when I was at the (big name) tax place a couple of years ago, it really angered me to see how they take advantage of people. For example, each W-2 is considered a separate "form" and they charge extre for every one. Most of their customers are low income and get an Earned Income Credit; they have no concept of the value of money, so when they'd see they were getting several thousand dollars back, they didn't bat an eye at paying $500 or so for having their taxes done.

I just remembered I have clothes in the washer and turned it on when I was leaving; guess I'd better get them into the dryer.

Hi to everyone - have a blessed evening. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Sorry I'm so late in posting -- another busy day.  Sorry several of you are expecting such cold weather.  It is really warm here -- another record today, I think (86 degrees).  Facebook reminded me that three years ago yesterday, we had snow.  What a lovely difference.

DD's car was in the shop, and the water pump (?) blew up over night.  The mechanic said it was the cold weather.  Then, my SIL's truck would not start, and the emergency brake broke off when the tow driver came.  This is the second time this happened (happened two years ago.)  DGS' car is lacking heat, so when I talked to her this morning, DD was sitting in the shop waiting for her car to be finished -- they will be down to one car this weekend.  Yikes!  At least I hope her car was finished today.

So glad you had fun at the party, snicks.  Waves to Bernie, Susan, Kathleen, LindaR, Arlene, Jean, spix, Charlene, Rosa, Barbara, Karen, Gayle, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

DH's daughter and younger granddaughter are here -- they enjoyed dinner and the heart-shaped cake I made.  DH is a bit confused, but okay, I guess.  

Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda