Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Friday August 20th)

[ Edited ]

Hello and Happy Friday from hot and humid SE Michigan.  I dislike this kind of weather however many people have it much worse in our country.

I was joking with my sister this morning and said I should have named Frances "Steve Austin" (as in the $6 million bird).  Frances is worth every penny Heart

We don't know exactly how it happened but the theory is that Frances collided with something and the humerus in the wing that attaches the wing to the shoulder joint broke into 3 pieces.  It was an open break that became infected before my sister discovered Frances laying against her garage door.  Two of the three pieces of the humerus emerged from two different areas in one large swollen wound.  The third piece is still in there and even though Frances is improving none of us thinks that infected piece of bone will ever clear of infection.

If we don't take the wing completely off at the shoulder joint the infection could blow system wide, hit the heart, liver and kidneys and get to the point of no return.  As it is we've gotten the white blood count from 49,000 to 12,672.  Normal for a bird is 6,000 to 15,000. 

I would describe Frances issue like this. 

If you look at your own arm, imagine the area from elbow to fingertip being completely healthy. 

The part of your arm from elbow to shoulder breaks and infects in 3 pieces. 

The top piece near your shoulder comes out, the bottom piece near your elbow comes out and the middle piece is stuck there and is not healing. 

You don't have a bone that connects the arm to the shoulder because it fell out.  Doctors decide to remove your arm because only muscles are keeping it attached to the shoulder and there is a risk that the infection will go in the wrong direction and infect your shoulder joint and collar bone.

That's what's going on with Frances.

Right now my $$$ is going towards Frances.  I haven't even been thinking about shopping, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Friday August 20th)

Good Afternoon/Evening and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  Thanks for the explanation about Frances.  She is one lucky bird to have found such a loving bird mama.  Hope your other birds don't get too jealous.   

The dove who built a nest in one of the beams of my front porch is busy sitting on it now.  Hopefully, the nest won't fall out like so many do around here.  The doves tend to build nests in places that are just too narrow to hold them.  

My oldest DGS and his wife got the apartment they wanted, and move next month.  It is very expensive, but apparently housing isn't plentiful or reasonably priced in their area.  No word on the COVID tests my other two grandsons took, but that may be a good sign.

Quiet day here finished up my hospice work and went to the gym.  I wore a mask the whole time, and it went better this time.  I did cut back a little on my speed on the elliptical machine.

You spent/will be spending money on Frances, and I gave money to family.  So, shopping isn't on my radar either.  I am still double-checking to find items that I can donate.  And, I have managed to find at least one thing each day this week.  Just how many pairs of black or navy blue pants can one woman use?  Especially, one who is retired and doesn't go out a lot.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice evening and sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda

P.S. It is 92 degrees here at the moment.  Not too humid, but quite warm.  At least no storms, flooding, etc.

Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte  I saw this t-shirt in different colors at Walmart when I popped in there earlier this week and I almost bought it.

Instant Message - Mommin All Day Every Day - Women's Short Sleeve Graphic T- Shirt - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

I guess when the kids (human or animal) have needs we gotta try to help, right?  Maybe we'll get this pandemic under better control one day and will actually have a need to buy that extra top or pants.

Esteemed Contributor

Birdmama---Frances is a very lucky bird to have found both your sister and you. What an injury to her wing. It's amazing the surgery they can perform. I will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers. She's in good hands.

Esteemed Contributor

LindaLatte--I'm glad your DGS & wife got the apartment that they wanted. Housing/apartment pricing is all over the scale. I think it's over inflated. I know what our grandson paid for his "fixer upper" house and it was more than what we had paid for ours. I sure hope the values hold somewhat but my fear is always a hike in property taxes. 

Have a good weekend. 

Honored Contributor

@Fressa  My property tax and home owners insurance went up this year.

Esteemed Contributor

I was sweating out what property tax increase we were going to have considering what they sold a few houses on our street. They went up as well as the home owners and fire insurance. It was the school tax that was increased by $1000!!! that took my breath away. Taxes just make me lose my mind.