Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics - One Day at a Time - Friday April 8th

Good Afternoon!  Thanks for getting us started Bernie, and I'm glad to hear Rocky is getting better.  I would be upset with snow in April, and DD said that they had some in Maryland as well.  We did have rain last night and today, along with a bit of thunder.  Right now it is just cloudy with no rain.  I did manage to take a walk this morning after dropping off DH, and no rain.  

Enjoy martini and pizza night spix.  Sounds like a good idea to take Sadie away from the action.

Glad you have had DD home, Charlene.  Some of the other happenings in your life don't sound too great.  Glad Harper is improved, and I hope she doesn't eat stuff like that again. Your visit with your son sounds like fun.

Hawk attacks there as well, Marijane?  I remember when hawks were attacking people walking from our church parking lot into the church.  I have been afraid of bird attacks since I saw the Alfred Hitchcock movie many years ago. But, I always thought that was foolish.  Hope the baseball game goes well.

So sorry your DH broke his shoulder, pinky ann.  My oldest grandson broke his shoulder in football practice several years ago, and I think he still has pain from that at times despite surgery, rehab, etc.  Glad your Sam's Club order was good, and you love the rugs.   Hope you are able to rest a bit, and try to take it easy.

Your weather sounds pretty bad, snicks.  Hope you can make some progress with your organizing.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene (good luck with Angelica), twinny, Susan, Rosa, Karen, LindaR, Barbara, and all of our posters and readers.

The caregivers group was good yesterday -- it is always helpful to hear what is happening with others.  One lady had put her husband in hospice, but then decided to take him out.  She was overwhelmed when they started showing up, calling, etc., but the main reason was that she could not take her DH to the oncologist or neurologist if he was under hospice care.  Not that she could not take him, but the insurance would not cover the visit.  I sympathized with her -- it is certainly not an easy decision.  While I was at the meeting, the hospice nurse called to say that she could not come yesterday, and asked if we could re-schedule for today.  That is okay for later in the afternoon.  But, I was curious why she was coming rather than the male nurse we have had most of the time. I asked the caregiver, and she said that he didn't know for sure, but she thinks maybe he lost his job (or decided not to continue).  He was part-time, and certainly old enough to be retired (77), but I am very surprised.  I'm hoping to see him at church to get more details.  

I went by to talk to my neighbor/builder about a problem I have had with the door to the laundry area (falling off the hinges), and the shower door I want to have replaced.  He suggested that we may have termites -- I hope that is not the case, but we do have a contract for termites, so I think any treatment would be free.  Of course, the repairs would not be free, but hopefully not too expensive.  

I made it to the gym, and that went pretty well.  Hope everyone has a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

I'm at the library; I have copies to make, and faxes to send.  I finally got my earings report from Social Security, so that has to go to the pension place, and I got a summons in the mail for parking in a disabled spot - I must have forgotten to hang my placard.  I called the court, and they told me to fax over a copy of the placard with a note asking to dismiss it. 

Bird, I'm glad to hear Rocky is doing well. Who knows - if he and Grayson ar of the opposite sex, you may end up with an entire birdie family!  Cat Wink  I'm curious - why don't you use a bird for your avatar?

Well, I've prayed about what to do about Angelica.  Every time I thought about her leaving, I'd start to cry, and I was starting to get a bad feeling about letting Mark have her.  He has an adult son, and four little ones, so I thought she'd get a lot of attention, but first he insulted me by calling and telling me to give her a bath, as he didn't want "a stinky dog" in his car - an old beater that no doubt reeks of cigarette smoke.  Then when he came over to work, he got me annoyed agan - he was complaining he could smell that I had cats (I have a ionizer near the litter boxes, and use lots of X-O - he just doesn't like cats); I retorted that he stank of cigarettes, so we were even! Cat LOL  Anyway, he was going to come back later and get her, but started to hem and haw as he was leaving, and mentioned she'd be alone in the house all day.  Something isn't adding up...

Oddly, I felt relieved that she was staying, and took the matter to the Lord. I can't leave her on the back porch, since she tore out all the screens - I can't afford to repair them over and over again. She'd go after my bears, so I can't leave her in the house unsupervised. (Oddly, she ignores all the toys I buy for her.)  As I prayed I got a feeling that I should look at large kennels on-line. I had considered that in the past, but they're expensive - upwards of $300. The feeling remainined, so I did a search...and found that the same one that's almost $400 in Tractor Supply (52 sq. feet) was only $180 at Sam's!  So, I ordered that - it has lots of room to put her Doggy Palace in it, so she'll be protected from the elements, plus have room to play and bask in the sun.  I'm also going to have a trolley put up, so when I'm using the pool, working in the yard, or reading on the porch, she can run around a lot more.  I feel good about this - I love that sweet girl!  Now, if only my neighbors would get their side of the fence repaired...and I'm hoping they will, since they recently got a new puppy.

Charlene, what kind of contacts do you use?  I remember when I first got them they were the hard kind, and I'd have them cleaned and polished every year...and they were insured for loss.  Then I got the soft ones, but one tore after just a few months, which is when I switched to the disposables.  I hope Harper is doing better - cleaning up those messes is no fun!

Pinky, sounds like you did well with Sam's too - I'm glad you love your rugs, but sorry to hear about DH's shoulder.

OK, my faxes are sent - one wasn't going because the girl at the desk was sending it to MY phone number, which I had put in the "from" part of the memo, so she kept getting an error report.  Guess I'd better be on my way.

Hi to everyone - have a blessed day!

Honored Contributor

@FunkyHulaGirl

Gurl, please!  I do not want a flock of pigeons.  Seriously though adult pigeons feed baby pigeons a fluid like milk (like humans).  A baby pigeon that doesn't have a parent needs to be tube feed and I can tell you that my nerves are not strong enough for that. 

As it is, I trim Grayson's beak and toenails.  I have to trim Poppi's beak.

I don't know what the Lord is teaching me with Rocky but I thank Him for understanding where I am lacking and not sending me something that needs to be tube fed.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Good evening, everyone! I am home from work and have had dinner, so I just relaxed by reading the thread.

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. Great news about Rocky. I love your arrangements for the birds. We are also expecting snow and record low temperatures. The fruit trees are in danger.

Spix--Enjoy the martini/pizza night. Sounds like great fun.

Charlene--Having DD home really put a positive spin on the week.

Marijane--Hawks attacking school children? I had never  considered that but I guess nests near schools would create that possibility.

Pinky--Age is always a factor to consider when looking at options. I do hope the shoulder doesn't create many problems for DH once it is healed.

Snicks--Good job on dropping off the box of donations. I think it is very frustrating to spend time removing things but then it looks as if you haven't done much.

Linda--I am happy that you are reviewing options for DH. I remember when my mother became seriously ill, we had started looking at options as we knew I couldn't do it myself. There were few excellently reviewed options in our area and they had a waiting list. I was advised to put my name on waiting list for notification if an opening became available. I did that and it is good that I did. The day that my mother was to be released from the hospital because of Medicare regulations for hospital care, the facility called me that they had an opening. My mother spent slightly more than a month in the nursing home before she died. It was an excellent facility and the patients were treated with great care. I visited each day.

Arlene--I do hope the current planned solution for Angelica works out. I know yoou love her and want the best for her.

If weather permits, I plan to go to the city early tomorrow. I need to get my nails done, my hair done, and also do some grocery shopping.

This morning, before going to work, I saw a C Wonder pair of pants and a top presented. I decided to order them for a birthday present from Midnight to me. Any excuse to shop? I really liked the pants so time will tell if this line works for me. These are ankle pants, so they will be longer on short stuff here which may be a problem but time will tell.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.