Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Fri., March 8th)

Good Morning and Happy International Women's Day.

It looks like the majority of Q programming today is dedicated to brands designed by or represented by women. Woman Happy 

Martha's zip ankle jean TSV is an easy pass for me.  There is something about the fabric that makes them extra clingy and wrinkly for a skinny jean.

The zip at the ankle is a cute detail.

How are you today today?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Fri., March 8th)

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. I just turned on the TV to the Q to see Lori Greiner demonstrating an Easter Egg Decorating kit. It wouldn't be International Women's Day on the Q without Lori.

I was supposed to work today but the predicted snow and ice did hit causing several accidents in the area. We went from a delay to a cancellation. An oil tanker lost it and jacknifed in a curve on a steep hill closing both lanes. A similar incident happened on the Interstate. Winter is so much fun!!! Half of the state's school districts are closed....all in the path of the snow. Another make up day to be added to the school calendar. 

I just gave my cat a treat, and saw written on the bag..."not for human consumption." I've always wanted to eat cat treats. 

I guess I'll spend some time doing odds and ends around the house. I have no plans to shop but may go to the city tomorrow as the temps are expected to be in the 50s. Momma Nature is bi-polar.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

It's funny that you mention the "not for human consumption" note on the cat treat Jean.

I can't tell you how many times I tasted something first in order to get one of my dogs to eat it.  The most gross for me was the raw hamburger that I had to feed my dog Spottie in the 1980's.  I had to give it to him for a couple of days, can't remember what was going on with him healthwise, this was a directive from the veterinarian.

I'm not much of a meat eater and if I do eat any kind of red meat, it's cooked so well it's almost as dry as a cork.  Imagine me putting some cottage cheese and raw ground beef (lean) in a bowl for Spottie.  That dog looked at me as if I was insane.

My mother said that she knew I loved that dog with a passion when I sat on the floor with him and said, Momma try the meat first okay?  I grabbed a pinch of the meat, popped it into my mouth, fought my gag reflux and said, hmmm yummie. Wanna try Spottie?  Let's just say I had to do that for every meal until the protocol was over - I was his professional food taster.

Also, the first time I gave Max a small milk bone I bit off the end and said, hmmm, this is a good cookie Max, wanna try for Momma?  

I don't know, I guess I lived with suspicious dogs Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

WomensDay.PNG

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bernie--You were a good pet momma to taste the food and encourage them to eat.  I am sure those suspicious dogs loved every moment, but you gritted your teeth...but we sacrifice for our pets!

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  You certainly were kind to your pets.  I can't say that I ever ate food specifically intended for pets, but I remember my Aunt eating dog biscuits regularly.  When I worked at FDA, I remember that there was a lot of concern about older impoverished people eating pet food (particularly fish intended for cats) rather than buying food intended for human consumption.  Hopefully, that was not a common practice and/or did not result in human illness.  It may well be the reason for the label on Midnight's treats, Jean.

Happy International Women's Day everyone!

Sorry your weather resulted in closed schools, Jean.  Hopefully, you will be able to get out tomorrow.  It is very cloudy here, and it is supposed to go down to 36 degrees or so tonight.  We should be having cool days and nights for the next week or so, which is not my favorite kind of weather.  But, what can you do?

I was a busy person yesterday with the caregivers activities, plus one of the ladies gave a few of us a tour of her new apartment.  It was a nice place, but rather small.  Also, she does not have her own washer-dryer, and either needs to walk up the stairs (she is on the third floor) or walk quite a distance to the elevator in another part of the building.  We are not at all used to stairs around this retirement community, and I think she got winded climbing the stairs when she first moved in.  Even yesterday, she stopped at one of the landings.  

After all the caregiver activities, I did go to the gym.  I was pretty surprised to see people I know who go there earlier in the day.  Some must go to the gym for two hours or so, and at least five days a week.  Yikes!  I will stick to my three times a week for an hour or so pattern.  I think with my walking every day plus other exercises it would be excessive to go to the gym that often.  And, I would probably not keep it up for long.

Speaking of walking, I found that my "walking shoes" (Asiacs) needed to be replaced today.  Yesterday evening I noticed they were wearing on the insides (holes had developed.)  Glad I had replacements in the closet.  I know I would have been concerned if I needed to find new shoes quickly.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Hope everyone has a nice day!

Hugs,

Linda

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, Bernie - Happy International Women's Day to you as well.  I have never intentionally tasted pet food.  Does finding the occasional piece of cat fur in my own food count?  LOL.  Jean- sorry to hear about the weather-caused accidents and all the school closures.  Hoping everybody stays safe.  Linda - a 3rd floor walk-up apartment does not sound like fun.  I continue to be impressed and inspired by your commitment to your exercise.  I also wore out a pair of shoes this past week.  Mine were some Ryka mary-jane style shoes, that were coming apart.  I liked them so much I had purchased another pair.  This week I dug them out, put my Vionic orthoheel inserts into them, and away we go!  This is my favorite easy-on pair that I wear around the house and yard.

Even though it was cloudy this morning, it was still nice enough to go outside and do a bit of weeding and pruning.  Only got a small portion of our yard done, but it felt good to make some progress.  Then I came inside and cleaned the worst of our doors and baseboards.  Something I had been putting off.  It felt good to get that done as well.  Now I'm going to be lazy for a while and read a book.

Hope you're all having a good Friday!  ~ Charlene

Edited to add - I wanted to get some weeding done today because we have daffodils, jonquils, and spring star flowers blooming in the yard.  They look so pretty, I didn't want them choked out by weeds!