Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Fri., August 9th)

Good Morning/Afternoon and thanks for getting us started, Bernie.  I think your outfit(s) would be perfectly appropriate for the funeral homes in this area, and probably most areas.  While I really care about outfits/clothing, I know that the most important part of many gatherings like this is your presence.  I have heard stories from people who have been the only non-family member to attend funerals, and how grateful the family was for their attendance.  I don't attend many funerals, but I agree with you about not wearing black.

Hope you like your new jewelry.  I have one of Louis' necklaces on my wishlist.  As you know, his pieces are not inexpensive, but many are just lovely and get high ratings.  

Although I am not on blood thinners like Jean, I tend to bruise rather easily and usually can't remember how they happened.  

Happy your cable is back, Jean.  Like you, I am not in need of pants.  I think I could have been persuaded to order if there were different solid colors. I already have several pairs of Isaac's pants, and don't need black or wear red/coral pants.  Print pants are still not my thing.  I do like the pair I got at Ross, but I don't feel the need for more.

We had some rain overnight, and it was very lightly raining on my walk this morning.  I used my umbrella for much of the walk -- mainly because my hair is negatively affected by the rain.  Another negative effect is on my arthritic knee.  It was really hurting yesterday evening, and I ended up taking an OTC pain reliever in addition to using my Rx cream.  

The screen door issue is finally settled.  While the last bid was the least expensive (still expensive, but.....), I decided on the third bid instead.  Long story, but I preferred the owner, and his approach to the business and life.  I know that sounds pretty weird, but true.  While the doors on offer were not identical, I think I ended up paying an extra $200.  Still way less than either of the first two bids.

I am going to the grocery store(s) this morning since I have my fitness (gym) orientation this afternoon.  Nothing else of note going on.

Hope twinny is having a great time, and Charlene's Mom is doing okay.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.  Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

Esteemed Contributor

Linda--I think you are trusting your gut instinct about choosing the door. You were very impressed with that person, so the final bidder would have had much to add other than a lower dollar amount. I hope it works out well for you.

I just got a refund check from Med Express. For some reason, I was overcharged. It was only $40 but $40 is $40 and can be used. As soon as I finish this cup of coffee, I'll be going for the mail and then the bank to cash that "huge" check.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Linda @LindaLatte   I'm glad that you sought out enough estimates to make an informed choice.  Your reason for choosing the third company is not weird at all.  It's been my experience that instinct is a good thing to listen to when you are hiring out a job.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone - I just got back from my mother's house.  She was released from the hospital yesterday and my DD and I brought her back home.  As we were trying to get her in the back door she fell again.  Thankfully, this was not a bad fall, and other than a new bruise, she is okay.  I felt terrible, as I had volunteered to take the first overnight shift and take care of her.  Some lousy care-giver I am.  The rest of the night went fine.  I already changed a few things in her house to make things easier for her.  My 2 sisters are going to be with her the next 2 nights.  I will be there when her rehab therapist comes over tomorrow.  There is much we need to learn about being caregivers, and long-term, we need to find out what kind-of care she needs in her home or if she needs to move to a facility.  Right now we have more questions than answers.

I didn't sleep well, needless to say.  I kept having dreams about noises, and I would wake up scared that I had heard my mother fall.  It must have happened a dozen times, at least.  Look forward to a nap and a good night's rest tonight.

Waves to all ~ Charlene 

Esteemed Contributor

Charlene--Sorry that your mother fell while coming home. I know you wanted everything to go as well as possible. You are a great caregiver. We can try to do our best but even with the best accidents can happen. You have taken steps to make the home easier for her and will be there when the rehab therapist comes and this will give some direction to what the future holds. Hugs!!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Charlene @cerb   I know that you feel lousy your Ma fell and got a new bruise.  Try not to beat yourself up.  We don't go into the caregiver role knowing everything.  You are your two sisters will be able to share 'notes' and learn from each other which will enable all of you to learn quickly Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with Jean and Bernie, Charlene.  I know you are doing the best that you can for your Mom.  Caregiving is not an easy job for most of us, and there is a lot to learn.  Try to get some rest.  Sending hugs.