Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Dec. 6th, Thursday)

Hello all,

I just finished decorating the Christmas tree.  I'm done with the house.  I need to sit down and address my Christmas cards.  I don't have that many to send out - maybe 15.  I remember the days when I used to mail 40-50.

Just a sign of changing times I guess.

When I look at the sky, it looks like snow is coming.  I don't mind.

So, what you do have going on today?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Dec. 6th, Thursday)

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. I agree that it is a sign of changing times that the number of Christmas cards being sent is on the decline. A friend and I were talking the other day about how much we enjoyed getting letters, some to treasure and save. Then email became popular and people began corresponding via it only to have texting, etc. to replace email for personal correspondence. It is a very impersonal world now.

I only had to work a half day so I am home early but went to get my prescription and mail. I got home in time to see the end of the  Texas ceremonies and train departure carrying the casket to the Bush library. I still have vivid memories of the train carrying Robert Kennedy's body across the U.S.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

I had  one of the Bob Mackie embroidered fleece jackets being shown now. I really liked it. I saw the Dennis Basso TSV A345025 which could be tempting me.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Trusted Contributor

Sending Christmas cards was always a big deal in my family when I was growing up.  My parents would spend 2 days addressing envelopes.  We actually had 2 mail deliveries during the Christmas season.  It was exciting waiting to see how many cards would arrive each day.  This was back in the early 60's.   But those days are long gone. 

It was also a big deal to go see Santa at the mall.  We would stand in line forever just to get a few moments with Santa.  But again...that tradition has faded.  I was at our local mall just last week to drop off some Toys for Tots at a drop-off.  The majority of the stores are closed, but some are still there struggling to stay afloat.  The saddest thing there was Santa sitting in a chair stairing into space and not one child waiting to see him.  Worse yet...a young girl dressed in an elf costume was sitting on the sidelines playing on her cell phone.  Yes...times have changed. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mombo--That is really sad that Santa had no child wanting to be with him and tell him what they wanted. I can remember the lines but like many I don't frequent the malls like I once did.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/the-down-and-out-mall-santa-reinvents-himself-for-a-...

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening!  Glad your tree is finished, and you can start on your cards now, Bernie.  I still send out quite a few cards (about 30), but I don't receive very many.  Times have changed for sure Mombo.  That is a sad story about the Santa.

Hi Jean.  Glad you worked today and had time to pick up your Rx and mail.  Hope you like the Dennis Basso jacket if you order it.

I was pretty busy today.  First, I was able to get into my pension account and change some of the deductions for next year.  Then, I went for a walk and then to the Caregivers lunch, meeting, and coffee afterwards.  Then, I went to the gym and picked up a little candy to put in a package I will be mailing to DD.  She and I like fruitcake, but neither of us could eat a whole one, and no one else in her family enjoys it.  So, I made a fruitcake yesterday evening, and I'll be mailing half to her along with a little candy to fill up the box.  

I heard back from the hospice volunteer service, and they require quite a bit of clearance and training before you can join.  You also need to commit to volunteering regularly.  I decided to start the process.  Hopefully, I will be cleared and able to help others.

My lunch was large, so I'll be having leftovers for dinner.

Waves to all of our posters and readers.

Hope everyone has a nice evening!

Hugs,

Linda