Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics -One Day At A Time - Tuesday

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

We are having a beautiful morning today, cold, but sunny. We may actually hit freezing today, I know it is sad that I am excited about that. Right now it is 12 degrees, but the sun is out.

Not much on the radar for me today, just hanging out at home and hoping to get some ironing done. There is just a few things to iron so it shouldn't take too long. I have some cooking magazines to go thru and some catalogs to dispose of, this way I won't think I need to buy something. I am trying to get rid of the surface clutter here, then I will hit the drawers and closets.

Well off to get something constructive done, what is everyone else up to today? Have a good day everyone.

Contributor

Re: Shopaholics -One Day At A Time - Tuesday

Good morning Susan and thanks for starting the thread...we are also sunny and cold here, but I'll take the sun. We are predicted to get snow again, but I'm hoping this is soon coming to an end.

I have ironing to do today also. Not fun, but it's mostly my husband's clothes that I iron and Sydneys uniform. I need to dust and swiffer my floors today...

Well we bought a car yesterday and said goodbye to the van. We bought a 2011 Nissan Versa with 41,000 miles on it. It is pretty small, but will be good on gas mileage and for the girls to drive. Shane travels 45 minutes to work each way and we were spending over $100 a week on gas so hopefully this will make a difference. Our payments are definitely doable and I am happy that we stayed on budget and didn't get in over our heads. Hopefully this summer I will be able to get a second car, much cheaper, that we'll be able to use also.

I have been doing very well with not buying but I did make a purchase on Friday, I ordered some Clarks wedges that I've had my eye on since last year and I also bought an outfit from Isaac. I feel like if I know I can make one purchase a month than I will be fine. I know how important it is to save and I need to keep on track.

Well I need to get back to work but hoping everyone has a great day!!!

Trusted Contributor

Good morning ladies! sunny here too Susan but warmer than you.....it 's 16! we missed out on all the snow this past weekend it stayed south....not that I missed it or anything... We still have plenty on the ground and still no sight of the bare ground. it is supposed to go into the 40,s by the end of the week. I just may take to ironing to pass the time in the house! ( if I can find my iron that is) I hope Jean is on her way to have her new furnace installed......we had two of them replaced several years ago.....have one in attic for 2nd floor,one in basement for 1st. They are also connected to the AC. Hoping you get some good new soon Kathleen about a job for DH. Is your DD closer to you now as to where she lives? Twinny you sure do have cold weather where you are when does it start warming up? I too hate the cold and snow but unlike you I love the hot weather! Not much going on here tomorrow is Ash Wednesday so maybe will go out and get some fish for supper for tomorrow.....then there is that iron I could look for! have a nice day..oh something exciting for me....the Yankees will be on TV this afternoon playing another pre-season game....so I will be watching....forget about looking for the iron! Marijane.
Esteemed Contributor

Susan,

It is cold here but not sunny. We had another 2" of snow overnight. DH just took his daily walk and is now snow blowing the driveway. They say another 2"-3" overnight and then another couple of inches on Weds. They did say on the weather station today that so far we have gotten 10" more snow than we usually get all winter and we are not done yet. One good thing about being home bound so much this winter is that DH & did purge out entire house. We didn't have much surface clutter, but I was amazed at the things we had stuffed into drawers. We did make about 4 trips to St. Vincent's. Even my DH said one day "gee it looks so nice around here."

Kensyd, It sounds like most of us are sunny & cold yet. I hope you like your car purchase. Yes gas mileage is a big factor now days. Gas prices in our town are $3.49. A week ago they were $3.25. They say the prices could jump another 50 cents soon. UGGG! Those Clark's look comfortable, and I have never tried Isaac. He does have some nice looking things though.

Genny, 1o degrees WOW. We woke up to zero today. They do say we should be in the low 20's today & tomorrow. Then we have a hope of seeing upper 30's by Friday & Saturday. We sometimes do warm up a bit in March, but this year is questionable. My DH is a Red Sox fan, so you probably hate that team. Even though we live in the Midwest, our DS & DIL live just outside of Boston. When they won the World Series last fall, they sent my DH a Sox, t-shirt, beautiful jacket & sweatshirt. He thought that was pretty cool of them to do that for him.

Yesterday I couldn't join the boards as we were trying to get all of our tax stuff together so we can see our tax lady tomorrow. Glad that job is done for another year. My DH is pretty much maintenance free, thank goodness as I had lots of medications to keep track of plus many more medical bills than he does.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Susan--Thank you for starting the thread. It may be cold and we may be having a heat wave of 18 right now compared to the zero of last night, but the sunshine really helps. Enjoy your ironing and checking out the cooking magazines.

Nancy--The "new" but gently used vehicle with good gas mileage is essential. When commuting of long distances are involved, the mileage is a big factor to consider. Enjoy your Clarks wedges and the IM purchase. Limiting yourself to one purchase a month is very doable when it comes to "wants."

Marijane--You are so lucky to have missed out on having more snow and ice, but you already had enough. I caught the Weather Channel late last night in time to hear them give a little outlook about Spring. Basically, the five minutes I caught said it would be cooler than normal. We didn't have much of a Spring last year and Summer was cooler than normal. Enjoy watching the Yankees. I agree it is a much better option than ironing. I also agree that hot temperatures are fine. I can handle the 90s quite well even when the humidity is high.

Twinny--Being "housebound" is a great motivator for decluttering (as long as you are warm). Good job on getting the info ready for the taxes. It was also zero when I got up at 6am but the sun is making a big difference. We are actually supposed to hit 50 this weekend. What a delight!

Nothing new here. I was so pleased with my not buying any non-essentials during January and February that I've been tempted to reward myself with something from the Spring fashion show. The only thing that has grabbed me was the infamous IM ceramic watch of which I have three. Enough is enough. I would buy it if it were offered in red.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Regular Contributor

Good morning, warm here so the snow is melting and the office is busy!

No shopping on my radar today, Denim and Co is a temptation for me, so I better step away from the computer! I did buy sandals this weekend and after further deliberation am so glad that I did, they fit great and will go with so many things.

Sounds like we are running the full spectrum of weather.

Esteemed Contributor

Rosa--I had forgotten about Denim & Co. until you mentioned it. I was getting ready to watch a movie via Netflix streaming until I saw that post. I can shred to Denim & Co. as well as to the movie. I see they are having my favorite pants on easy pay, but I can wait.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Hello friends!! It rained and thundered last night, sleeted a bunch and I heard dripping all night long, woke up to 32° and most things shut down. All the schools delayed or cancelled. DH and I took our time getting out the door but roads were not bad at all on my route anyway.

Marijane, DD is not really closer. She lives about 30 miles away in South Austin.

Nancy, congrats on the car purchase! I loved my Altima, was very maintenance free. DH made me get rid of it when it had 230,000 miles because we hadn't done any work and he thought it was going to start needing too much all at once. lol

I'm at work trying to get some things done. Hugs to all.

Esteemed Contributor

Kathleen--Most cars are built to last much longer than years ago, provided they are maintained on a regular basis. It sounds as if you had a winner!

I've been putting my insurance info in a binder. I use a 3-ring binder in which I put those plastic cover sheets. I insert each insurance notification of payment, summaries, medical provider mailings, etc. into those plastic cover sheets. They do not get misfiled or fall out that way and makes for easy reference.

I see Radio Shack will be closing 1,100 stores...another victim of the economy, the competition and need to downsize.

Valued Contributor

Raining on and off for the last 6 hours. Skipped the walk today and trying of do some professional continuing education stuff online (I have a short attention span for this stuff at times).

I did catch part of the Denim and Co show. I did like the button down oxford tunic. Pretty unique style with the pockets. Maybe if that one goes on sale or as is, I will get it.

Heating up leftovers for lunch and just doing a few things around the house.

Stay warm everyone!