Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics: One Day At A Time (Thursday, December 1st)

Good  morning ladies, hope all is well.

Been up since 5:00 this morning and I am starting to feel it.  Can't believe it is December already, I did not accomplish anything this year (at least that how it feels).  We are having a typical December day here, low 30's and no sun.  I don't mind the cold weather, but a little sunshine goes a long way.  Oh, the sun has just popped out.

Have a bunch of running around to do today, so I need to get moving.  Hope everyone has a great morning.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopaholics: One Day At A Time (Thursday, December 1st)

Hi ladies,

https://frommarthawithlove.com/tag/holidays/

Honored Contributor

Hi Susan @PAlady and thanks for starting the thread.

I was up around 5am and I sounded like a flippen alien or something when I called in to work to advise my manager that I would not be coming in today.  I thought the Zicam would clip this cold in the bud earlier this week. Apparently I have to go through ALL the stages, lol, and I am not at 'productive cough'.  I should be able to drag my behind in tomorrow - I'm resting today.

I know how you feel about not getting things done.  There were a couple of things - like purge the garage or sell some things - that I swore I would get done in 2016 and it's not done :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@meallen616

Love the cartoon, shopping for my dad was like that - stressful, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Susan, I also can't believe that it is December already.  I like sunshine & don't mind the cold weather.  We just had our 3rd warmest November ever.  Today it is cold & cloudy.

meallen, I haven't even started Christmas shopping yet.

Bird Mama, I had a mild cold last week  & started with another one Tuesday night.   I am feeling much better after a couple of days of Vick's & Coricidin HBP.  Hopefully you will be feeling better real soon.

I did have a productive week as I got both pantry's cleaned out & reorganized.  Yesterday I finished decorating for Christmas.  I am donating 4 bags. I am at the stage where less is best.  

DH & I are leaving after lunch to go to our DGS's band concert which is tonight.  Having supper at KFC & will do a little shopping first.

Since my infusion is tomorrow morning, we will be driving back home tonight.  We got our Subaru back yesterday afternoon, so we will be watching out for deer.

Hugs to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, Susan.  Your weather sounds pretty depressing to me, but then again, I'm a sun lover.  Also, I prefer heat to cold, which makes southern Arizona a good choice for me.  Not that we are having much warmth here today, started off at 30 degrees again.  But, it is supposed to make it into the 60's.  I'm sure that would be a heatwave for many of you.  Sorry you don't feel you have accomplished much this year.  I have those sorts of thoughts sometimes, but when I really think about it, I can end up patting myself on the back for what I have done. LOL

Funny graphic again, meallen -- unfortunately true many times, especially shopping for men.

So sorry your cold took a turn for the worse, Bernie.  I hope one day at home will do the trick, and you will be much better tomorrow.

Waves to Jean (working today), Kathleen (safely back home after a long drive), Arlene, snicks, twinny, Essie, 3suwm5, Marijane, Charlene, Barbara, Karen, Rosa, LindaR, butterfly, Gayle, pinky ann, and all of our posters and readers.

DH seemed fine when I visited him yesterday morning, but I happen to run into the hospice caregiver in the 99 cent store, and she said he seemed pretty anxious when she was there earlier.  She told me a funny story -- he kept asking if he could stand up during his shower, and she kept saying not yet.  Finally, she told him to "hold his horses", and he replied "I don't have any horses".  She couldn't help but laugh, but he didn't understand why it was funny.  Anyway, he got up at 5:00 yesterday, and she told the caregivers that he should probably have the anti-anxiety drug.  Obviously, that worked by the time I visited him.  When I went back to feed him dinner, he seemed to be okay.

I ordered the birthday cake from Safeway, and I decided on carrot cake despite it being quite a bit more expensive ($15 extra).  That is the type of cake I wanted so, I just went ahead.  And, I decided to go on an "out to lunch" trip with the seniors next Monday.  The lady who I met on the Greek Orthodox Monastery trip asked if I would go, and I thought "why not?'"  

Leaving for the gym soon, and then I'll go to the Caregivers meeting.  After that, I'll visit DH and hopefully be there when the hospice nurse comes.

Have a nice day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda.  

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone!  Susan - thanks for getting us started, stay warm!  meallen - it really CAN feel stressful sometimes to find the right gift.  Bernie - sorry that you're dealing with a cold.  My DH has had a cold this week and I'm hoping that I don't catch it as well.  Get well soon.  twinny - good job for organizing your pantry.  Mine has stayed pretty clean since the last time I cleaned it out (a surprise, lol).  Have fun at the band concert tonight, and I hope tomorrow's infusion goes well.  Linda - I hope that your DH's home can find the right type and dosage of meds for him.  The home my father was in, did a great job.  Just enough to keep them less fearful and more content, but not enough to act "drugged".  I always admire you and your activities!

Sorry I haven't posted for several days.  I'll mention a FASHION item first.  I was interested in the Susan Graver TSV 1-2 months ago, it was a vest with a quilted satin-type front.  I liked it, but thought it was way too expensive.  I finally got one in black when they showed up "as-is" and I really, really like it.  I wear vests alot, here in southern CA.  So I now have a couple more on order in different colors.  

Thanksgiving was a strange experience.  Two days before, I took my mother grocery shopping and it took us almost 6 hours.  That included 2 hours of talking at her house.  Then 1 1/2 hours of talking at a restaurant she wanted to go to.  Then 1 1/2 hours to do the shopping in the store.  Then another hour to put food away while I made her rest.  Thanksgiving day went well.  My sisters and I made our mother rest and visit with the grandkids while we did all of the cooking, then we kept her company while the grandkids washed dishes afterwards.

Then the weirdness started.  My mother started pulling out items to give away.  She kept saying that she needs to give everything away before she moves.  We haven't even had a chance to sit down and discuss the moving situation with her.  She gave one granddaughter some antique sterling flatware and the other granddaughter that was there got nothing. She gifted the same granddaughter and one of my sister's antique tea cups.  I received an old family quilt.  My other sister got nothing.  She said it was okay for me to take the quilt, but the whole thing was awkward to the extreme.  

The next day my DS set up all of my mother's Christmas decorations (he's been doing that for years).  I had a very firm talk with my Mom, and told her that she cannot continue giving away items randomly.  We had an agreement, all of us, that when there was enough items set aside that she wanted to give away - that we 3 daughters would take turns choosing what we wanted.  That was the way we handled it when my Mom divided up items from our grandmother.  We took turns choosing, which is about as fair as can be done.  My Mom would never want to be unfair - it just shows that she's  becoming more forgetful and confused.  

Thankfully my sisters and I are in agreement about how we want to handle it.  Just hope we can implement things before my Mom starts giving things away to complete strangers.  Plus - visit the senior housing she's interested in, and see if that's something she really wants to do.  We want to do right by her.

Sorry for that long story.  It's just worrisome.  Thanks for listening.  With that, I need to get busy, I have Bible study to attend in a few minutes.  Hope you all have a nice day. ~  Charlene 

Esteemed Contributor

CERB, our Thanksgiving was melancholy without my mom.  I don't ever remember it being just the 2 of us.  Your's was weird & not in a good way.  Mom was 95 & she put up a fight until the very end.  She hated assisted living & was in a very nice place.  She wanted me to rent her home out, became combative to me & her caretakers.  My brother & I mentioned assisted living, but that idea fell on deaf ears.  I was hoping that things would go smoothly for you since it was your mom's idea.  Mom got rid of nothing, so I used the first come first served with my family.   I was mom's PR & did things the best way I could & believe me there were lots of stressful moments.  The stress ended a few weeks ago when the lawyer & I finished up with the estate. I feel so much better now & hope to have a nice Christmas with my family.  Prayers for all of you.

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon everyone, been busy running around today and even picked a couple Christmas gifts up.

Meallen - Cute graghic, I do hate the stress of picking out gifts.

Bernie -  Hope you feel better soon, I really hate colds, they seem to just keep on giving.

Twinny -  Good job on the pantries, I have been trying to use up what we have around here.

Linda -  Hope DH is doing well today, I like the story about the horses.  The cake sounds goods, enjoy your outing.

Charlene -  Good job on the new vest.  Sorry about your mom's confusion, I hope there were no hard feelings that day.  Hope things go better for you and your family.

Well need to get moving, have a couple more things to do.  Have a good afternoon everyone.