Trusted Contributor

Shopaholics: One Day At A Time (Thursday, 12/23)

Good morning ladies, hope all is well.

I have been reading but not writing.  I hope everyone is ready for the holiday weekend and have good travel weather.

I am trying to get organized for the weekend.  No matter what I do, I feel like I am still behind on everything.  Guess in a day or so it just won't matter.  I decided a need two more Christmas gifts so I will go out today to look for them or I will just give them money.  Depends how I feel in a couple hours.

Not much exciting happening here. What is everyone up to today?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics: One Day At A Time (Thursday, 12/23)

Susan, good luck with getting ready for your Christmas Open House.  Our Christmas lunch was last Saturday.  The 2 youngest dgc liked everything & it all fit.  I have been trying to kick back and enjoy myself this week.  We were hoping for a White Christmas, but will only get a few flakes.  We were planning to get together with our eldest dgs this afternoon, but he has his last final exam today.  It looks like we will see him next week.

Since we aren't going the Capitol city today, we are heading to a small nearby town for lunch and a bit of window shopping.  It's going to be in the 40's the next few days.

Update on baby Declan.  He is the baby boy born in August with cancer.  He had a tumor removed from his back right after birth.  Three days later they discovered tumors on his brain.  He had a very heavy dose of chemo last week at the UW and is now going through all of the nasty side effects.  

Off to get dressed and out of here.

I hope that all of you have a nice day.

Hugs to all of you.

Glenda

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nice today. We have been having warm weather..... too warm for December. I have a feeling when we really get some winter it is going to be awful !

I hope that Declan gets through all of his treatment and finally is well . I shall keep him in my prayers.

I have been boiling eggs so I can make some deviled eggs. I have tried every trick I have been given to make peeling eggs easy. No matter it still isn't easy !!

The dogs are busy with their new chew toys. Hope that keeps them busy at least until lunch time. For what ever reason they have been a bit restless today. Maybe they feel that our weather is all wrong too !

I did make it to the library for my book on hold.  It is The Beekeepers Apprentice. It's about Sherlock Holmes in his retirement but starts a new adventure with his new 'protegee' for Scotland Yard. It is written by Laurie King. I think it is a series. Hope it is good !

Hope all have a good day and a nice evening !

Esteemed Contributor

Good afternoon. My adult attention deficit disorder has been kicking in. I get ready to post but then something else intervenes, and I forget about posting. I think I first tried about 3 hour ago, but finally became one with the laptop.

I know how surprised we were about Claudia's sudden passing. This week, two of my former students when I first began working, died suddenly.  The wife of one just retired so they could have time enjoying travel and more without restrictions or obligations.  Now, they will not be ale to follow through with those plans. 

I heard on the news that the life expectancy in the U.S. has declined two years to the age of 78. I consider myself lucky as I have surpassed that age but there are no guarantees about the future.  I guess I just want to reinforce that although we think we will have an opportunity to follow through with future plans, there is no guarantee. We don't know when we will have the last conversations, phone call, text, etc. so we need to make the most of each contact so that there are no regrets.

I didn't decorate for Christmas but I did my best to daily do a color by number Christmas pic on a coloring app. Right now, I am enjoying some cookies a friend brought me, and I will enjoy the gift card when I have my cardiology appointment next Wednesday.

I hope each of you have a great holiday.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

Susan @PAlady , I'm at the point of what's done is done and I ain't worrying about it.  I finally made it to my sister's favorite pizza place yesterday to buy a gift card.  They sell gift cards - I've bought them in the past.  I was irritated, when they said they had no gift cards, lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hi Glenda @twinny70  thanks for giving us an update on Declan.  Not only will I be calling upon St. Raphael for little Declan, it's time for me to have daily conversations with the Infant of Prague.  Watch out heaven, Bernie's about to call of behalf of Declan.  I have a sense of humor and when I cross myself before I pray I almost imagine the saints and angels in tennis shoes just scattering and saying  oh no Woman Very Happy  Humor aside I pray they are able to relieve the little angel's side effects.

Honored Contributor

@chessielady   I love snow for Christmas and we just had some (that is already melting).  I asked for snow and didn't specify the day and I'm happy to have seen some accumulation.

I find that I have more problems shelling boiled eggs if the eggs are too fresh.  I'm making devilled eggs to take to my sister's house on Christmas Day and I bought them near the end of last month.

Honored Contributor

Jean @KonaKat   I'm so sorry to read about the unexpected passing of your former students.  You're absolutely right about not knowing when a conversation could be the last.

Since today 12-23 is Festivus Woman Very Happy airing of grievances day I almost aired some grievances with my sister.  Some days with her, whooo.....I bit my tongue.

Trusted Contributor

Good evening ladies, hope all is well.

Glenda - I will keep Declan in my thoughts, that is too much for a baby to go thru.  Glad to hear you had a wonderful Christmas lunch.

Chessielady - Please let me know if you liked the book, it sounds interesting.

Jean - I am sorry to hear about your former student.  I keep telling DH we need to go more places.  Just when we decide to do more traveling - BAM - Covid hits.  Timing is everything.

Bernie - I am at the point that what I have is what we will have.  When it is gone it is gone.

I have a list of things to do tomorrow, but tonight I am watch the show  about Lucy on Prime,  Hope everyone has a great evening.

Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening and thanks for getting us started, Susan.  Hope you get everything done that really needs to be done, and have a nice celebration/open house.  I have read that the show you plan to watch is disappointing.  But, I plan to watch it myself.  I was/am a big fan. 

Thanks for the update on Declan, Glenda.  I will be praying for him as well.  Sorry you were not able to get together with your grandson today.  Hope you enjoyed lunch and window shopping.  My county has said that masks are required for indoors, but the recreation department (where I go to the gym), said they don't know if they will follow that rule or not.  Yikes!

Hope the eggs turned out well, .  It was warm but windy here today.  We are expecting rain and much cooler temperatures tomorrow.  No snow.  I have only lived in two places -- Maryland (near DC) most of my life, and Arizona for the past 10 plus years.  It does get hot here (yes, lots of days 100 plus), but it is generally dry which is what DH and I liked.  Also, the cost of living is considerably lower than Maryland, and the scenery is great.  I do miss my family and friends who are still in Maryland. Hope you enjoy that book -- sounds like something i would like to read. 

I'm sure you are enjoying your coloring, Jean.  So sad about your former students passing away. Enjoy the cookies.  Claudia's sudden passing has really affected me.  

That is weird about the lack of gift cards, Bernie.  Who knows what changed for the pizza place.

The grocery stores were very crowded this morning, and there were quite a few near empty shelves.  I have not been  successful in finding distilled water for a while.  I use it for my iron and steam mop.  DD said that there is plenty in Maryland.  Oh well.

My hospice deliveries went okay with the exception of one mix-up in addresses.  I wasted time going round and round before I found the correct address on another list.  

Bev has been waiting all day to see the doctor, and she was not allowed to have any food or water until now.  She can have a meal before midnight, but nothing after that.  So, she thinks they will probably do the procedure (inserting some sort of slow acting chemo) tomorrow.  The doctor is supposed to call her later.

Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda